Old 18 July 2008, 04:16   #1

Town: Mesa, AZ USA
Boat name: Still the boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
New Guy

I have been visiting this site for about two years. I have also owned my boat for two years. I purchased it from boatsterSR4. Thanks again guys its been great! Here are some pics of limeylindas new hangout. San Carlos, Mexico. The one with the boat is my daughter and I and three others are local sites. Now for my questions.... I am looking to upgrade to abigger boat. Is there a big difference between 1100 and 1670 decitex hypalon? I know 1670 is heavier duty but is it that much better? My last question is is a 19' rib fairly easy to handle on my own launching and retreiving? Good luck limeylinda. San Carlos is definately a great place to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	36408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	36409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	36410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	36411  
Old 18 July 2008, 11:31   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Hi BG, and welcome to Ribnet. There seems to be a bit of "foot-itis" going on around here!

I have boat that's just under 6m and routinely launch it by myself. I just tie the bow line around the trailer and let the boat slide into the water, untie the line and away I go...

As for the heavier Hypalon, it is "significantly" heavier... which is I suppose stronger,more wear resistant and more resistant to UV... but it's also a lot heaver, especially in a larger boat. I suspect that for the average recreational user, it's overkill.

Great shots by the way! ANy idea what the wee ship with the two nice ribs is all about?

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 13:21   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Welcome Blueghost,

Great picutres! I'm going to differ from Stoo (his boat has the heavy hypalon) a bit on this. I've got boats with both material thicknesses. The 1670 dtx hypalon is 15% heavier (than the same surface area of 1100 dtx hypalon), yet has more than double the tear resistance.

http://www.pennel.fr/Pages/orca_fab_prod_spec.htm

Assuming that the weight of the fabric alone accounts for at most a third (and probably less) than the total weight of a RIB with fittings & motor (even with an empty fuel tank), the heavier hypalon wouldn't add much more than 5% to the total weight of the boat.

For example, suppose you have a rib that weighs 600 lbs without the motor, and 300 lbs of it is 1100 dtx hypalon, the rest is hull & fittings, then add a 300 lb outboard for a total weight of 900lbs. If you opt to go with the heavier hypalon, it only adds another 45lbs (300 lbs x 15% = 45 lbs) onto a 900 lb boat, which is a 5% increase.

Given that you will have a much tougher and more durable tubeset, I believe that the heavier hypalon is well worth the extra weight and cost.
Old 19 July 2008, 15:18   #4

Town: Mesa, AZ USA
Boat name: Still the boot
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Thanks for your imput on the hypalon. I will be looking for a used boat when I upgrade. Ribcraft has a few of them on their website. I have one more question.... is bigger always better? My plans are overnight trips with the family with scuba gear and provisions for a couple of days so if a 19 is good is a 21 better? Alright last question does anyone know what weight hypalon Nautica boats use? They frequently have used boats also.

The ship with the two inflatibles were with the University of Oregon. Here are a few more pics of San Carlos. Great food, great weather, great boating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	36433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	36434  
Old 20 July 2008, 11:55   #5

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Damn PT... that was al very scientific... and sensible!

As for the bigger being better question, I often wish my boat was a bit bigger, although not much bigger. IMHO, the downsides of "bigger" are mostly secondary... cost, fuel consumption, trailering etc.

All things considered, my boat is a perfect size for me, but when I dive, I am generally alone with just a tender, but I tend to have a lot of gear (twins, stage bottle etc.) I can readily fit four "regular" divers in the boat, but it's pretty crowded.

On occassion I even miss my old SIBS... aspecially at the fuel pump!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote