Old 21 July 2006, 08:23   #21

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: RIBcat 620
Make: RIBcat 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 90hp x 2
Try these guys

www.atlantisribs.com

It is a KR7 racing hull, which means it goes fast with a smaller engine.

I think they start from around £24,000 including an engine (dunno what size) but I do know its fast and well made.

The one I was supposed to be demonstrating goes 65mph on a 125hp engine and it is fully custom build.

Just a thought, shipping it to the states would be around £1500-£2000 in a container.
Old 21 July 2006, 12:29   #22
wes

Town: St. Thomas
Length: 7m +
Ocean, I think you are missing the point. The entire marketing concept of the CZ7 is to go after the recreational weekend warrior with a sleath looking boat. Hurricane never has marketed to the recreational user until they saw the Ribcraft Mitigator. They did the same thing Ribcraft did - take their 25' (733) and dress it up, then sell to Joe Boater. Only they did it well after the Mitigator was introduced.
Old 21 July 2006, 12:57   #23

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish
fuk mee fasst fredd i fink yew nead a spel chekker

gaRf

Clessik kase of potz colleeng ketl blek.
Old 21 July 2006, 13:02   #24

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick211
Im wanting to buy a Rib some what in the catagory of a CZ7 but i most certainly cannot afford the price

Ribs are not that popular here in the sates and used one are hard to find
I found one in cannada brand new a 633 OB hurricane figured that would fit the bill but it would cost some where around 65000

are there any other options for me I live on the west coast of the country weather here can get nasty at times unexpectedly thats why i would like to have a twin engine very tough boat id also like to be able to travel at 60MPH max speed

any suggestions or opinions are very appriciated
To get back to the OP's question as above I have another more radical solution which I fear risks excommunicating me from my ribnet buddies.......

Its this. I've spent a certain amount of time researching boat options in the hope (forlorn at present) that one day I can have one here in my corner of Canada and have come to the conclusion that the scarcity of supply of RIBs in North America means that prices are unreasonably high vs just about any other type of boat you can buy. So unless you are a true 'enthusiast' with deep pockets I believe there are many hardboat alternatives that make more sense. (Jonny F is cheering as he reads this I can tell.......).

For example there are many makes of offshore open/walkround sportfishing boats that are going to offer similar capability that the equivalent sized rib for a lot less dosh. Of course some are better than others and some I wouldnt want to be out in a blow in whereas I might feel more confident (not neccessarily comfortable) in a RIB. But if you are looking for safety or unsinkability (one of a ribs key offerings) then that can be had too. Boston Whaler is the obvious choice. Your US$65k buys you a lot of 20-25ft Whaler like this one for example whale of a boat Ok mebbe not 60mph but 50ish and lots of offshore capability for a lot less than a CZ7 or a Mitigator!

Another alternative that looks good with a bit more shelter are the Skagit Orca boats built in WA http://www.skagitorca.com/boats.htm which also offer the unsinkable foam filled hulls plus weather protection & accomodation. I'd seriously think about one of these for my part of the world if I had the wedge!

Dont get me wrong. I love RIBS and if the lottery came up would have those nice folks at Redbay build me a super duper expedition RIB. But in North America right now the economic option has to be hard rather than soft!

My 2 cents (Canadian),

A
Old 21 July 2006, 17:44   #25

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEco
I have run the 640, 733, 753, zodiac hurricanes as well as the Ribcraft mitigator and in rough seas there is no comparison.
I agree. There is no comparison, The Mitigator is by far the best boat.

Also, keep in mind that the Mitigator is quite a bit less expensive and you can purchase the same hull without all the bells and whistles and obtain the same performance for even less.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 02:30   #26

Old 22 July 2006, 03:11   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Alan;

You might want to do a bit of research on what exactly they mean when they say "unsinkable". Most boats which are flotation foam filled, while they won't sink, will not be usable except as a perch to await rescue upon (and often, not even that.)

USCG requires all boats under some length (20'? 26'? don't remember now) to contain flotation foam. If the boat swamps, all that guarantees is that it will remain at the surface. Not necessarily deck pointing skyward, either. Often, all that remains at the surface is the bow. The engines are usually too busy straining to meet the bottom.

That said, there are boats that are better than others in that regard; Boston Whaler, McKee, and several others are built on the fill-every-space-with-foam design, and do quite well while aping a submarine.

Yes, you can get a decent amount of hard boat for the money you'll spend on a RIB. Try, as an exercise, seeing what you'll need in fiberglass to match the load capacity of a RIB, though. Now see if you can match that with a hull length that will fit on a trailer. And see what kind of boat weight you're talking about. If you want to shortcut it a bit, my Polaris is about 19' overall, with a max load of 4000 lbs (or 12 people.) Weighs, I don't know... 2400lbs?

RIB's are available in North America; they're not as popular as the other side of the pond, so you have to do a bit of hunting. But they are around.

jky
Old 22 July 2006, 10:14   #28

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
"USCG requires all boats under some length (20'? 26'? don't remember now) to contain flotation foam."
maybe at one time, no such requirement.

boston whaler got to be about the worst ridin hull ever.

thare is tons and tons of ribs hear, and tons of Ribber, just a big place, you got to look around.

you got Zode'ack for 180.thou, meat heads with hellmets doin 60mph.
every body says ya right. Zodiacs, Hurricanes the hulls has no dead rise, it's all ways hunting at speed for a line that it cant keep.
Old 24 July 2006, 16:24   #29

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Thanks Guys

Your doing a good job at making me feel better about buying my zodiac hurricane 590 for 15k. Could have went with a lot of different boats for the money, but when I am leaving harbor with 5 guys 2 dogs and camping gear and everybody else in their 20 to 30 foot boat is staying in because it is forcast bad weather, I am happy with my purchase.

Jimmy
Old 17 July 2008, 15:24   #30

Town: Hopetown, Bahamas
Boat name: 57 Heaven
Make: Fleming
Length: 10m +
Engine: twin diesel
No Comparison

When you say "No comparison" Which is best and why?
Glenn
Old 17 July 2008, 19:39   #31

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
LL is right about 4k to get one over from europe - put it in a container that is pretty cheap. you pay more loading and unloading it than shipping. once at sea unless you are inbound ex USA or far east cost is much of a muchness and not so high...

With the £ high against the $ it doesnt seem a good idea!

I thought there were some pretty good deals in the USA with the ex military boats - someone on here had one, painted yellow and black. lot of work though.
Old 18 July 2008, 05:39   #32

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick211 View Post
thats why i would like to have a twin engine very tough boat id also like to be able to travel at 60MPH max speed
It's unlikely you'll get a boat that will do this fast in a heavy duty RIB. The new Zodiac Mach II will do that apparently, but it's powered by three 300 HP Verados! Drop those on the back of a 633 and you'll do about 40 knots... straight down! (I have en estimate on a non-mil spec Mach II and it would run about $450,000... All I need now is to win a lottery!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2008, 21:41   #33

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Here is a nice RIB located in WA on Boattrader.com
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...table-91480699
Old 24 July 2008, 00:18   #34

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
You're right it is a nice boat. It's one big SIB. Achilles doesn't make ribs that large.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 24 July 2008, 03:58   #35

That looks like a very good buy.
Old 25 July 2008, 22:01   #36

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
When I got serious about buying a larger RIB, I was really having trouble understanding how on earth a 19'6" boat, motor and engine, could possibly cost $55,000 (10 years ago). In fact, I took a trip to Vancouver and toured the Hurricane plant to try to understand the cost. While I was there, I went whale watching on a 733, and came back absolutely sold that there was NOTHING on the water that could do what that 733 did. (I had a little Mk III RIB at the time, but this big sucker was amazing...)

After a couple of weeks, common sense settled in again. I spent some time with a Whaler dealer and we discussed a 21' Outrage. It was a longer boat than I was considering in a RIB, but in order to get the same interior space, and the same load capablity, I had to go "one size up". The 19' Whaler seemed like a wee toy in comparison.

The Whaler was more expensive, required a bigger engine, weighed about twice what the 590 did, and would have required a massive truck to pull it. (At the time, I was trailing a boat about 4000 km a year, diving all over the Great Lakes...) The Whaler was out of the question, but we went for a test ride anyway. It was a beautiful boat and rode beautifully in a 1 foot chop, but the operating costs and the weight put it beyond me...

A couple of weeks later, I ordered the 590 new, and the next day a used 590 fell into my lap through the same dealer and the rest is history.

Ten years later, as I think back about the 8 -10' waves on Lake Superior in a September gale, or the 5' waves on Lake Erie with a 37 mile run back in broadside to these waves, I have no doubt whatsoever that I made the right decision. As nice a boat as the Whaler was and is, there is NO WAY that I would have made it back in intact in a "real" boat.

If I won a nice phat lottery and budget was no issue at all, and I was to buy a new boat, it would be a 733 with twin engines. And I would have the order placed before I picked up my winnings!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2008, 18:36   #37

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Maverik
I don't know if you are still looking but I just posted a 6.5M Mako in the RIBS for sale section. While it's not in the same catagory as a 7.33 Huricane I have no problem keeping up with them out here and passing them. But my boat is a lot lighter and you do get bounced around a bit more then in the hurricanes. good luck in finding what you want.