Old 12 December 2006, 19:48   #1

Town: Vancouver B.C.
Length: no boat
new be ?

In the research mode for a rib and was turned on to this by a fellow ribber. A couple ?s from you as stated this would be my first and got a lot of learning and this is the place. I know this looks like a yacht tender but would be all right for cruising up and down our coast (some what protected not open to the swells) not that i don't want to take it out there later. It is great in shape, the motor does seem a little over powered but if the boat could handle it fine with me. the last ? If i was to put a keeel guard on it then would that make a big differance on beaching it on our coast?
Thanx for your advice Cecil

15' Zodiac Yacht Line 440 series
Year: 2003
Current Price: Can$ 18,500

Hull Material: Fiberglass
Engine/Fuel Type:115/ Single Gas
yami 4stroke 9 hrs
Old 12 December 2006, 20:58   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Well, Let's see: I'm guessing that a 440 would be between a 420 and a 470 (That may or may not be true, though I doubt it will change all that much as the data is presented.)

A Yachtline 470 (15.5 ft, has a max allowed power of 70hp, so I think you're more than a bit overpowered. The hull will *probably* handle it (you'd need to develop a sensitive throttle hand, I would think, and the "probably is just a guess), but insurance may well be a problem (worst case, of course, would be that someone gets hurt, and the ins co. refuses to pay due to your exceeding manufacturers specs.) It would pay to do some research before buying. (And to get a letter stating that they are covering you, the boat, and everything else with the power you have on there.)

The big problem I see is the engine weight. Max engine weights on current models are 264# on a 420 (13.9'), and 375# on the 470. The F115 dry, in a short shaft, weighs 402. Real world, probably 420 to 440 with rigging, etc. Not a real safe condition, especially if you're planning to be in *any* kind of weather.

There are a couple of other Vancouverites on here (Vancouverans? Vancouveranians? Vancouverish folk? Whatever...) who will probably chime in to give you a much better picture of sea states up there than I could.

Personally, I think you're looking at a recipe for dister.

Luck;

jky
Old 12 December 2006, 21:14   #3

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Unsuitable rib

How Do Farsider,

Seeing as you ask and only seeing as you ask,

It is unsuitable for your needs from a few points as far as I can see.
The engine is too heavy and over powered for your boat and in a following sea closing the throttle with the heavy engine will do nothing for your confidence to see water coming in over the stern well as your Plane wave (water displaced by the bow, ) catches up with you.
It will also be dangerously fast unless fully laden at which stage the engine is weighing you down even further.
I alos think for a first timer you should not go out too far from help. Get the RNLI safety at sea and study. The sea is a very unkind training course.
You may go out in a gingerly F3 with tide when the wind picks up a few kts to F5 and the tide has turned against you as you did not check it was slack water. If you think that the boat is unkind, wait till your wife gets you back to shore....and I dont blame her.

So dude, if going sort of off shore, you need at least 6 mtr with that engine.
Heavy Duty would be Ribcraft 5.8 mtr plus
Lighter duty with a touch of "we are here" Ribeye 6 Mtr.
Seen a few of these on Boats and Outboards.
Also mentioned a lovely beati of 6.5 Ribeye eep v Sport with under power 115 Yam 4 stroke on it.... much better option in my opinion...It will not cost too much to upgrade yam 115 for 50 recommended size in due couse

Wait now for the "Sages du Mer" and they will have chapter and verse or you.
Me? I am shitless off shore. I prefer a yacht. When I see white caps in Rib it means "time for the Bar" seen too much action dude, too many straight hits to the head....
Old 12 December 2006, 21:22   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
PS Vancooverians

You will find the south English shores a little more exoposed than going up river in Vancoover, I am guessing.

Get the current Rib Interntional and read on rough water also check threads on Corryveckin.

Itsthe short chop on the stern with white caps that you need to be aware of and a heavy engine will not help. Janski is also correct on the insurance, I think you may be in excess of rec hp for Zodiak.

The Boat show is on soon... What is your budget by teh way. Post it and you may get a few offers...
You can always say no.....
Old 12 December 2006, 22:48   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Better deals are out there.

I'd recommend something from either Zodiac's Mil-Pro level boats (Hurricanes, SRMN, SROs) or something from Polaris, Titan or Hy-Seas (all local RIB builders). Those lines will offer a far sturdier craft than Zodiac's PVC pleasure boats and if buying pre-owned, will get you much more boat for your money.
Old 12 December 2006, 23:42   #6

Thanx for the replys i was thinking along the same lines (prarie tuber)going out to see Guy this week and look at his shop. Funny how when your looking at something and it just doesn't seem right (115hp)and the rib it self but i thought to ask your opinions maybe i was missing something
thanx Cecil
Old 12 December 2006, 23:48   #7

Tell Guy that Mark from Winnipeg sent ya. Not sure if he'll remember me, but he spent a fair bit of time showing me around the shop a couple years back. Guy is a class act and the quality of their boats are first rate.
Old 12 December 2006, 23:51   #8

Will do ...... talk to him on the phone for awhile both of us talking our old motorcycle days him being from isle of man was very intresting
Old 13 December 2006, 01:39   #9

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Also worth while to check out liquid metal marine in sidney on vancouver island. They make excellent ribs. I have a heavy duty 20ft polaris hull for sale with no power. www.liquidmetalmarine.com Have you checked inflatable boat sales www.inflatableboatsales.com
Old 13 December 2006, 07:34   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hey Farsider;

Do me a favor as well, and send Guy a Howdy from John Yasaki in California.

Good man; real treat to deal with as far as designing and building. Haven't seen the shop, so would enjoy hearing about whatever you find when you get there.

Appreciate it;

jky
Old 14 December 2006, 03:49   #11

pm'ed you Ocean Eco
Old 21 December 2006, 02:28   #12

Well went out to see Guy and he said to say hi to you Mark and John and he says he's still waiting for them pics you were going to send wants some action shots for his portfollio you got a beauty seen all the pics there in the build John. Shop is pretty full as the orders are coming in all the time sent one to San Deago <? today. Well i seen what i want now i just have to go see a freindly bank manager . Course going in there is like asking a kid not to touch anything and all these great toys around its tough not to say i want this and then no can you build this you walk out of there and think how can i make tis work First rate shop out there if any one out there is looking there workmanship is numero uno http://www.polarisboats.com/p/boats.htm
Old 21 December 2006, 03:46   #13

I figured you'd like what you see in terms of personnel and product quality. The welds on those aluminum hulls are like pieces of artwork. The bare boat prices of their aluminum hulled RIBs are quite reasonable compared to many other brands. As for the loan thing tell the banker that you're doing a bathroom reno including a new aluminum tub with a hypalon collar.

I'll be in the Langley & Vancouver area visiting family over the Christmas-New Year stretch.
Old 21 December 2006, 03:55   #14

Threre welds are un real really as i weld and have seen my share around but i was also looking at a 19 ft fiber Neptune nice lines and over 1/2 inch thick he has some nice designs for every purpose can we say fasssstttttttttttt. His web site just doesn't do it justice.Your coming out this way during the holidays till when? were leaving but will be back around 29
Old 21 December 2006, 04:19   #15

Getting in this Saturday, will stick around until Jan 3rd or 4th (Sales tend to be very quiet at this time of year). I'll PM you my cell #. Maybe we can have a beer pounding session with some of the other Vancouver area Ribnetters.
Old 21 December 2006, 11:32   #16

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Stood up again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Maybe we can have a beer pounding session with some of the other Vancouver area Ribnetters.
Geez PT, I was just going to tell you that I will in Winterpeg on the 31st. Fortunately (!) it's only for 27 minutes on the way to Banff for a little schoosing! I was going to suggest you stand at the side of the runway with a "Winterpeg Welcomes Stoo" sign to make me feel important!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2006, 15:18   #17

How be I just place a huge " STOO ! on the end of the landing strip?

It would only take 2 cans of spray paint. A black one to cover up the 'P' and a white one to overspray that spot with an 'O'.
Old 22 December 2006, 02:26   #18

Quote:
How be I just place a huge " STOO ! on the end of the landing strip?

It would only take 2 cans of spray paint. A black one to cover up the 'P' and a white one to overspray that spot with an 'O'.
Now that would be entertaining. Certainly would impress the hell out of the g/f!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 22 December 2006, 03:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Now that would be entertaining. Certainly would impress the hell out of the g/f!
But will your two pilots know to stop! too, rather than stoo! ?
Old 22 December 2006, 09:39   #20

Quote:
But will your two pilots know to stop! too, rather than stoo! ?
I don't imagine it would matter anyway... I suppose there's only a couple of people getting on or off... They'll just need to move fast!

www.wetspotimages.com