Old 22 December 2006, 10:37   #21

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Probably the only other air traffic they'll have to contend with are the twin otters coming from or leaving for Churchill and Yellowknife. People at the Toronto and Vancouver airports can always tell which jets are coming in from Winnipeg -they're the ones with extension cords hanging from the nose.
Old 22 December 2006, 17:09   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider View Post
Well went out to see Guy and he said to say hi to you Mark and John and he says he's still waiting for them pics you were going to send wants some action shots for his portfollio you got a beauty seen all the pics there in the build John.

Oops. Busted...

Quote:
Shop is pretty full as the orders are coming in all the time sent one to San Deago <? today.
San Diego. Home to Dal, I think.

Yeah; when I got mine, I was fourth in line, behind 2 thirty-some-odd foot whale watching RIBs bound for Hawaii, and another fairly large RIB heading for the east coast of Canada. Still, it was about a 4 month lead time, I think.

Thanks for playing messenger, and have a merry Christmas.

jky
Old 22 December 2006, 21:15   #23

Town: Vancouver
Make: Polaris
Engine: Honda 50
Hi farsider.

I own an 03 4.5 meter Polaris spirit (Blue), aluminum hull with a 50 Hp Honda that I bought in 04. It has a lot of (3K) upgrades and is basically like new, currently stored in my garage out in Maple Ridge. Warranty until 08. I'm thinking of getting something a bit bigger , in the 17-19 foot range, (family expanding) so mine may be up for sale in the 17- 18K range I think. I was going to wait until spring, but if your interested in something like this let me know, I can send you more details and pics, or you can come and see it in the New Year. I think I posted a pic at one time in the gallery, you may be able to search for it. I used it mainly to go back and forth from Maple Ridge to the Island, visiting in-laws. Less then 150 hours on the engine. It is a great safe boat, very fuel and storage efficient and pullable by most six cylinder and up cars.

Soemthing to consider, the whole package for the price of the engine on a 19 footer!!!.
Old 22 December 2006, 23:20   #24

Town: Vancouver B.C.
Length: no boat
Thanx Big Surf, thinking along the same lines 18 to 20 ft. Buy it once and then its over except for the bank paymants . Just out of curiosity how long and how were the crosssings to the island as that is what i have plans for and the reason for a little bigger. Looked back and was wondering if you had any more pics of the Broken Goup awsome place hace been there myself but wanted to show the wife how incredible it is, words canot describe the place. Think i will end up with a neptune just can't decide if fiber or allum just can't beat there workmanship
Old 23 December 2006, 03:07   #25

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hey Big Surf,

I'd forgotten about those pictures you posted last year. I finally got to Vancouver Island for the first time this summer and went across to Tofino. Now that I've got some feel for the general area, those pictures you posted are more relatable to. I also went on a whale watching tour while there in an aluminum hulled Titan RIB (approx 24 foot). It was of an industrial type construction - must have been extremely heavy. I noticed quite a few Polaris boats were also being used by the whale watching outfits out of both Tofino and Victoria.
Old 28 December 2006, 04:55   #26

Town: Vancouver
Make: Polaris
Engine: Honda 50
Hi Farsider

Good idea to buy as big as the wallet will allow. My boat will do 90% of what I want, sometimes I need a bit more room for camping gear though. Actually I'm thinking 17' feet with a swing tongue trailer would be perfect, as it will still fit in the garage, which is a big deal for me. At 19' feet, you need to pull out the tape measure and see if it will fit.

Aluminum or fiberglass?. No question aluminum with an outboard pod is the best bet. I love those outboard pods for the extra inboard space, the watertight flotation, swimgrid and full height transom, longer waterline. Aluminum will look as good ten years from now as new, with little maintenance. You'll notice everyone is trying to retrofit a pod on the back of their boats.

I launch my boat into the Fraser River in Maple Ridge, drive it down the river to Steveston, across the Striat through Porlier Pass, then inside up to Nanaimo, about 80 miles in three hours. Faster then the Ferry. The Father-in-law has a spare trailer so that makes it easier on the island side. Cost me about 50-60 liters in fuel return, so for the four of us, cheaper then the ferry and more fun!!. Check the Strait forecast before going and try to time an ebb tide with a northwest wind for smoother seas. It is only 16 miles across at the closest point, so not too bad even in a 2-3 foot sea. Anymore and it gets a little long for the kids.

Good luck on your boat!!.