Old 08 March 2008, 22:45   #1

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Need help diagnosing Hurricane 630 issues

My Hurricane 630 is being used down in Miami this week and it has developed 2 issues that I am trying to diagnose. The first is that the starboard engine (honda 4 stroke 75 hp carbed) is running fine then it bogs down, then it runs fine. We replaced fuel filters, checked fuel lines, checked fuel bulb primers, checked fuel pump, and checked the coils. The carbs were rebuilt on both engines before going down to Miami. The old fuel was pumped out and replaced with 100% gasoline. We seemed to have eliminated most of the problem by having the port engine running on the Main Tank and the Starboard on the Auxiallary Tank. My question is why am I getting some sort of fuel disruption into the starboard engine but not the port.

Also, yeseterday all the engine gauges on the dash went out (fuel gauges, tachs, engine temps, etc.) The circuit breaker didn't kick out and all the wires under the dash seem to still be connected.
Old 09 March 2008, 03:55   #2

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
engine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
My Hurricane 630 is being used down in Miami this week and it has developed 2 issues that I am trying to diagnose. The first is that the starboard engine (honda 4 stroke 75 hp carbed) is running fine then it bogs down, then it runs fine. We replaced fuel filters, checked fuel lines, checked fuel bulb primers, checked fuel pump, and checked the coils. The carbs were rebuilt on both engines before going down to Miami. The old fuel was pumped out and replaced with 100% gasoline. We seemed to have eliminated most of the problem by having the port engine running on the Main Tank and the Starboard on the Auxiallary Tank. My question is why am I getting some sort of fuel disruption into the starboard engine but not the port.

Also, yeseterday all the engine gauges on the dash went out (fuel gauges, tachs, engine temps, etc.) The circuit breaker didn't kick out and all the wires under the dash seem to still be connected.
My suggestion is take it to a Honda dealer where they can hook it up to a computer/analyzer, you may get a easily correctible error code telling you what is wrong versus pulling your hair out trying to correct the issue, good luck!
Old 10 March 2008, 02:20   #3

The engines aren't the issue, they work fine, I am having a fuel line issue. Any thoughts?
Old 10 March 2008, 09:07   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The engines aren't the issue, they work fine, I am having a fuel line issue. Any thoughts?
So if you swap the supplies around to the engine (not sure how easy that is to do) then you can make the problem occur on the other engine?
Old 10 March 2008, 14:22   #5

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
So if you swap the supplies around to the engine (not sure how easy that is to do) then you can make the problem occur on the other engine?
Good suggestion there...

I was thinking about this and wanted to suggest that you make sure your tank vents are clear, if for some reason the vent was clogged this could possibly cause your problem (sucking the fuel line flat due to vacuum causing starvation) also, did you check your fuel pickups in the gas tanks? Maybe you have a problem there.
Old 12 March 2008, 16:24   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Do you have multiple primer bulbs? What do they look and feel like when the thing is misbehaving? If it's an upstream blockage, the bulb will usually collapse. If it's downstream (towards the engine) the bulb should stay round, and pumping it *may* get the engine running better.

Another thought is whether you've got new bulbs. If they're Tempo products, they should be immediately suspect (the one I got for my 14' Achilles/Honda 40 wouldn;t even pump air.)

Is your fuel line set up with a single hose from tank to transom and then a short jumper hose between engines? If so, replace the jumper hose. Easy to do (especially since I won;t have to), and eliminates the question of that component.

jky
Old 14 March 2008, 00:04   #7

The fuel tanks which I paid a dealer to clean out and pump out didn't get done according to the other Honda dealer I took the boat to. Also, they didn't synchronize the carbs properly which caused the engines to run ruff. The gauges had a lead wire come loose so they have it back up and running.