Old 30 October 2013, 01:37   #1

Town: vancouver island
Boat name: catatuide
Make: zodiac 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: diesel ib
My ZODIAC 630 Diesel IB

Got my 2001 Zodiac 630 with IB Volvo Ad31 and Volvo leg home the other day.
Sweet boat i been looking for along time for the right boat for the west coast of vancouver island.
I had to import this boat from the USA but still was way way cheeper by doing so.
This boat is a 2001 Ex US Coast gaurd RIB has new WING tubes installed in 2007 there polyureathane which was something i wanted.
The diesel engine is like new still the boat has just over 500Hours on it. came with a like new 2011 Galvanized Karavan duel axle trailer.
That radar arch is just sitting in there its not custom installed just yet. needs to go back and be fitted.
I have a custom tube cover im makeing to protect the tubes from the sun.
I want to get a shock mitigateing seat made up to replace the drivers seat and make some kinda sun shade mini roof that attachs to the windsheild.
Im very happy with it for what i paid it came with a spare compleat volvo Duo prop Leg im gona install which should let the boat do just over 30 Mph on the water it has a single prop leg on her now.
Theses Diesel boats were set up to tow broken down boats doing rescues so once i put the duo prop lower unit on the boat should have more speed than being a stump puller

The fact it will do 30 Mph and cost half as much to run than a outboard makes me happy with it i like the HD tubes to with the full rub strakes.
I will post more pics as i custom her up more. came with a full lifting harness to.

Old 30 October 2013, 06:55   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Those tubes look like they're in great shape! Keep the pictures coming.
Old 30 October 2013, 17:09   #3

Town: Hood River
Boat name: Seal Team 7
Make: Zodiac SRA-750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC G2 300
MMSI: WDI 8895
Nice boat. You will probably get more speed simply by changing your prop if it was spec'd for a lot of crew + towing ability.

Just don't over prop the diesel. Make sure you can make full revs with max fuel, crew, sea state etc.

For the sun shade, take a look at the bimini arrangement I made for my willard between windshield and radar arch. It's in thread williard arch and bimini project.
Old 30 October 2013, 17:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd View Post
Nice boat. You will probably get more speed simply by changing your prop if it was spec'd for a lot of crew + towing ability.

Just don't over prop the diesel. Make sure you can make full revs with max fuel, crew, sea state etc.

For the sun shade, take a look at the bimini arrangement I made for my willard between windshield and radar arch. It's in thread williard arch and bimini project.
I checked with Volvo they said the Duo prop drive i have mounted on the SPC upper leg would give me a 1.91 Gear Ratio and with a A6 or A7 prop it should be about right with my boat size and weight, i have a buddy running the exact same boat and engine , thats what he runs so i have the help from all his mistrys with diffrent props ect.
Im just gona run the Single prop for now tho.
I like your top idea i wanted something i can take down easy tho. something smaller. yours looks great tho i like useing the arch tieing it into the winsheild.
Old 09 November 2013, 19:41   #5
ynp
RIBnet supporter

Make: Zodiac
Nice boat! Congratulations!
Can you show the tube covers, please. I am thinking about getting the covers for my Zodiac and looking for any ideas.
Old 09 November 2013, 22:15   #6

Town: Palm City, FL
Boat name: Mick 1, McRIB
Make: Willard
Engine: Diesel Stern Drives
I have a 733 OTH that I incorporated a top into the tower structure. If this helps

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2106687757.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	87249

Pm if you need more info
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1049615054.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	87250  
MASATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2013, 22:22   #7

Thats a great idea i like the way you did that its almost the same arch that i have sitting in my boat. I just bought two spotlights that have wired in crontroll pannels they would work great in that set up.
Thanks for shareing the idea. As far as tube covers go im makeing and entire cover with a seprate cover for the consol and rear seats. Im trying to buy a costal pro shock a compact should fit where my drivers seat sits just might have to lower its base inside the consol a few inchs so its not to hi up.
Old 07 January 2014, 02:12   #8

Well i got alot of good used stuff to soop up my RIB abit as soon as the weather warms up. I got 3 used Ullman Shock mitagateing seats to replace the foam seats in the boat.
One was a newer seat i got on ebay for $1200 its like new patrol series and cleaned up like new damers was is still good i dont think it was used much . i think there like $5000 new so good score. the other two are older ones and have ordered new Dampers and new neopreen covers for em The covers are full black so the 3 seats will all look the same Ullman has been great to deal with as im trying to do all this on a budget the new covers were very reasonable and the older stype dampers were a good deal to, The old ones still work but there tired so thought as i got such a great deal on the seats why not put in new dampers. the newer one is the captains seat the other two for passengers, might have to lower the front captains seat base into the fiberglass cover as its abit taller than the older ones, anyway its all good fun and adds good value to the boat i have a bad back so this is something i need to ,
I am selling that tall narrow OTH Arch and have bought another proper radar arch from a 733 with the air bag that blows up to flip you back up. i got the air bag and cover with tank its off a 733 so is the arch so i will have to narrow the arch but thats not to hard with Alum,
Anyway lots to do now, the seats will all fit and work where the original ones are sitting now.
Im building a custom vinyl cover for the boat and have rubber tiles to put on the floor.
Only other up grade might be to a Volvo 41P engine as this boat has a smaller 31 L series only 500 Hrs on it tho.
They used the 41p six cylinders in theses boats to so theres lotsa room for a 41 p in the engine room then id have around 200Hp with a DP leg thats all id need on a 630 i figger.
Anyone got a 41 p volvo kicking around (:

Old 07 January 2014, 14:54   #9

You are going full Solas with that rollover device. Obviously you never would want to actually need to use it.

Take a look at 7:50 in this vid. Police boat getting it wrong. Shocker.

Old 07 January 2014, 16:10   #10

Neat Vid
The reason i am puting in the air bag is we fish of the west coast of Vancouver island B.C Canada some of the worst water around.
most of the time we go out its nice but it sure changes fast.
I agree with you 100% i dont ever want to use it but i got a good deal on this like new used one so why not put it in.
theses Shock mitigateing seats are sure a great invention (:

Question for you guys would you instal the auto inflate or the string to the bottom of the transome type inflate ?
Again hope it never gets used. haveing a diesel inboard should help with stalls from wet engines and being fliped over from the front comeing up to hi.
Big outboards sticking way back off pods have fliped a few boats around here.
Old 21 January 2014, 16:34   #11

I had a link to an RNLI training vid showing them performing an air bag righting in their training pool. Try Googling "RNLI tank training".

They all swam underneath the boat, got situated properly, then pulled the rip cord and the boat scooped them all up inside.

Seems autoinflation could be dangerous. Go with manual IMO.

Just wondering but what happens with your fuel tank inverted. The Willards would just dump a whole tank of fuel into the water which would be pretty unpleasant. They make rollover vents that won't spill if inverted. I'm probably expanding my tank capacity and seems like a simple fix to consider. Even without a bag, you don't want fuel in the water.
Old 21 January 2014, 17:17   #12

This boat is diesel and theres only the vent where diesel can get out im not sure very much would come out that tiny vent line. the SS cap is screwed on tight and no way diesels getting outa there. But i will look at the roll over valves in the vent line to.
I was looking at my Air tank theres a pin that needs to be pulled (like a grande ) then a looped line short one pokeing out i think has to be pulled to to fire it.
Im gona go down and look at the Canadian Coast Guard one down at the dock today , they have the same bag and tank set up.
I am thinking a line down the back of the transom so a swimmer dont have to dive under the boat to pull the pin.
Its a neat set up.
on my seats Ullman have been great to deal with i been dealing with Carl himself and he is helping get my two really old seats refurbished with new dampers and covers. Rain covers to. I will post pics as i get things done.
One thing i will post pics of soon is useing smaller stainless eye bolts instead of just hex bolts to give something to tie the cover to at the front of the boat and in other places on the inside. (the hex bolts im talking about are holding the alum strips that hold the tubes on at the front and on the insides of the boats hull)
The S/S eye bolts are only like $2 each and look good and give great tie down spots.
Old 22 January 2014, 04:18   #13

Do you have a link for the eye bolts?
Old 22 January 2014, 05:44   #14

Quote:
Do you have a link for the eye bolts?
No but i got them on ebay there not the 1/4 inch but next size thred up best to take a bolt outa your hull and check most are 3/8 dia s/s.

I will get some pics tomorrow if its not raining. there a great way to be able to tie stuff even if you make and extra layer piece of material for the very front of the tubes the eye bolts give you a way to tie it all down tight.
my custom vinyl cover will be tied on useing theses eye bolts.
Old 22 January 2014, 15:54   #15

Heres a picture of the SS eye bolts installed.They work really well and will help hold on the cover im makeing. also good for holding on and extra bow protector if you didnt want to undo all the bolts and slip it in behind.
I have some on the insideof the hull as well.

Old 30 January 2014, 04:25   #16

I got my first old Ullman seat cut down to size and the new neopreen cover glued on today . Was abit of fun i had to peel it back halfway off then trim the old rubber cover about halfway down to get the new cover to sit right.
Its just like my newer patrol series seat now, well close enough (:
Ullman have been the best company to deal with i been dealing with Carl and he set me up with two new neopreen covers and 3 rain covers + two new upgraded dampers for the two older seats everything was very reasonable to they really went outa there way to help seeing what i was trying to do.
Took most of the day but side by side this one and the newer patrol seat are almost the same size. I now will get the two older seats with the new covers mounted in the boat once i get the second seat done.
This has saved me tons of money and the seats work great and now upgraded to look better to + newer dampers , the old dampers were nothing like theses new dampers, the old ones were worn out to, one had a bent rod. (:

The first picture shows the modern Ullman seat next to the one i cut down and recovered.
Second picture is the old style grey shock mitigating seat that i had to cut down the fiberglass to make it smaller.
just abit off the back area and some of each side at the bottom.
The lower picture is the old seat recovered.
The two older upgraded ones are going in the back of the boat on the engine cover for passengers they wont need the S/S handles.

Old 30 January 2014, 14:03   #17

Looking good.

Re eye bolts, I have d rings that swivel on mine which helps so they don't side load the bolt.
Old 30 January 2014, 15:23   #18

Quote:
Looking good.

Re eye bolts, I have d rings that swivel on mine which helps so they don't side load the bolt.

Thanks, so is your boat.
Can you post a picture of this D ring ? id like to see that idea.
Old 30 January 2014, 15:42   #19
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingus View Post
Can you post a picture of this D ring ? id like to see that idea.
I've looked for these D rings online and came up empty. Let me know what you find.
Old 30 January 2014, 17:28   #20

Here's an old shot but they are what the bungie is tied to. Don't know where to get them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1204.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	89871