Old 08 September 2016, 16:54   #1

Town: Wisconsin
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Merc-135 OPtimax
My First RIB Zodiac 733

I've been trying to get a 733 from GSA for a several years but its never worked out. I live near Lake Michigan so they're never anywhere local. Recently, one popped up at a sheriff auction about four hours from my house, it was used as the Sheriff rescue boat but they had another boat they preferred to use, so the Zodiac wasn't getting much use so they put it up for auction. The boat is a 1998, with twin 2006 135 Optis, after a couple smartcrap alarms for a dirty strainer and water in the filter she runs perfect, only 140 hours apiece when I picked her up! I thought I was going to have to do something with the tubes because they looked so faded and terrible but they cleaned up unbelievably well, couldn't believe it! This boat gets so much attention, most people think I'm the coast guard when I drive by .
The pics are right side up on my computer not sure why they're turning sideways when I upload?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	115809   Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	115810  
Old 08 September 2016, 17:07   #2

Town: Vancouver Island
Boat name: Umm....boat. :)
Make: Zodiac GR MKII
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 25 HP
Congratulations on your boat, very nice.
Old 08 September 2016, 17:09   #3

The first picture above was after I cleaned the tubes on the inside only, I thought the tubes were faded, but it was oxidation, and it came off fairly easily; after a few hours you wouldn't believe they were the same tubes, I was very surprised!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zodiac3.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	115811   Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac4.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	115812   Click image for larger version

Name:	zodiac5.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	115813  
Old 08 September 2016, 17:28   #4

They gave me an extra set of tubes with the boat too, I think they might be the original tubes that went to the boat but I don't know for sure. They are the same year as the boat, but I think they might be urethane, is that possible? They don't have overpressure valves like the ones on the boat now, and they're certainly not similar material, not sure if they're worth anything, if I should keep them for a backup, get them refurbed or what? They've been holding air for two weeks in my shop. I made a video of my homemade electric air pump, airing them up for a test. The boat came with a built in inverter so I figured a cheap 120v turbine might work well, it pumps the tubes to the lower side of acceptable, but does so quite fast. Its really easy when I get to the boat now to top off the pressure from the sun operating the OPVs.

Old 08 September 2016, 17:39   #5

Quite a luxury to have an extra set of tubes!

I have often been shocked at how well tubes clean up after some elbow grease. You are quite luck to have an extra set laying around.

I also like your DIY pump, seems to really inflate that tube set quickly.
Old 08 September 2016, 17:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
Quite a luxury to have an extra set of tubes!

I have often been shocked at how well tubes clean up after some elbow grease. You are quite luck to have an extra set laying around.

I also like your DIY pump, seems to really inflate that tube set quickly.
Thanks Bodge! I tried it the other morning on my little 15 foot zodiac and it aired it up completely much faster then using my air compressor. Cost 30$, a hose clamp, and 5 min on the lathe.
Old 08 September 2016, 18:06   #7

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
You have a nice Rib.

If money or storage is not a problem for you, then I strongly advise holding on to the spare tubes. One bad oops on the boat could ruin the tubes. Hopefully that will never happen but if it did then you will have a cheap solution to get back on the water quickly. I recommend cleaning them up and put the spare tubes away properly so they'll be ready to use when needed. A new replacement set could be very expensive; $15K +. I would also think it would add some good resale value to your boat if you decide to sell it at a later date.

There are 12v air pumps to fill tubes that can set set to shut off at the requested PSI's; it's made by Scoprega Bravo. Keep an eye out for them on Ebay. They are not cheap but are a godsend and highly recommended. Their made in Italy. The older ones come in a larger soft case boxed shaped. These pumps automatically shut off the air at the selected psi’s/bars so your tubes don't get damaged from over pressure. I believe most ribs are 2-3 psi’s (.2 bar max). Just add a 12v socket on your center console and your good to go. No more foot pumping and your tubes will be set to the proper PSI's every time even when not being attended. Not sure if your invertor will be able to handle the loads of a wet/dry pump.

Here's an example of one currently for sale:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...875&id=2187617

Another recommendation, You may want to remove the rear roll bar and engine guard. They are quite heavy and the equivalent of having a heavy person (maybe much more) sitting on the stern. You'll probably immediately feel the boat perform better and will feel more balanced without it. They're not needed for recreational use. They're also easy to remove and re-install. I would not doubt it also has quite a bit of windage drag slowing the boat down at speed and will effect fuel consumption. Just a recommendation.

You have a T-top so you can easily install any lights or electronics on that, there is even a mounting platform for electronics on the T-top.

The trailer you have is aluminum which looks in excellent condition. You couldn't ask for a better one.

Enjoy your new boat, it looks very nice. Cheers
Old 08 September 2016, 18:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloman78 View Post
Thanks Bodge! I tried it the other morning on my little 15 foot zodiac and it aired it up completely much faster then using my air compressor. Cost 30$, a hose clamp, and 5 min on the lathe.
Hehe... I love those $30. solutions. Well done!
Old 08 September 2016, 18:25   #9

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
sweet! I get the same thing from people as my local harbor patrol has a gray 753, other people slow down when they see me.

Jason
Old 08 September 2016, 19:25   #10

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
Nice find! You lucked out with the extra set of tubes. We need some action shots of your rib in the water!
Old 09 September 2016, 00:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrib View Post
You have a nice Rib.

If money or storage is not a problem for you, then I strongly advise holding on to the spare tubes. One bad oops on the boat could ruin the tubes. Hopefully that will never happen but if it did then you will have a cheap solution to get back on the water quickly. I recommend cleaning them up and put the spare tubes away properly so they'll be ready to use when needed. A new replacement set could be very expensive; $15K +. I would also think it would add some good resale value to your boat if you decide to sell it at a later date.

There are 12v air pumps to fill tubes that can set set to shut off at the requested PSI's; it's made by Scoprega Bravo. Keep an eye out for them on Ebay. They are not cheap but are a godsend and highly recommended. Their made in Italy. The older ones come in a larger soft case boxed shaped. These pumps automatically shut off the air at the selected psi’s/bars so your tubes don't get damaged from over pressure. I believe most ribs are 2-3 psi’s (.2 bar max). Just add a 12v socket on your center console and your good to go. No more foot pumping and your tubes will be set to the proper PSI's every time even when not being attended. Not sure if your invertor will be able to handle the loads of a wet/dry pump.

Here's an example of one currently for sale:

Scoprega Bravo Superturbo BST 12 HP Electric Air Pump

Another recommendation, You may want to remove the rear roll bar and engine guard. They are quite heavy and the equivalent of having a heavy person (maybe much more) sitting on the stern. You'll probably immediately feel the boat perform better and will feel more balanced without it. They're not needed for recreational use. They're also easy to remove and re-install. I would not doubt it also has quite a bit of windage drag slowing the boat down at speed and will effect fuel consumption. Just a recommendation.

You have a T-top so you can easily install any lights or electronics on that, there is even a mounting platform for electronics on the T-top.

The trailer you have is aluminum which looks in excellent condition. You couldn't ask for a better one.

Enjoy your new boat, it looks very nice. Cheers

I hear you on keeping the extra tubes but I'm just not sure they'd be serviceable.

I was going to get that pump you recommend but then I had the idea that a turbine paint sprayer might work well, the unit I got says it has 10psi, but it doesn't, it cannot actuate the OPVs, I can with the hand pump. The Invertor on the boat is large, and does run the pump at 120v without a problem, I was concerned about that too. Based on my calibrated thumb push, I'd say I'm near 3psi.

I have been thinking about taking off the tower in the back, I agree it's surely a good idea.

Thank you for the comments!!
Old 09 September 2016, 00:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
sweet! I get the same thing from people as my local harbor patrol has a gray 753, other people slow down when they see me.

Jason
we've had some laughs about it, I've seen people put their beers down and everyone goes extra slow in the no wake zones, I'm constantly passing people, when we do they look confused when they see were not the coasties.
Old 09 September 2016, 00:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworotorturbo View Post
Nice find! You lucked out with the extra set of tubes. We need some action shots of your rib in the water!
Thanks! I was catching some air with it the other day , it's so much fun! I wish I could have had someone filming it!
Old 09 September 2016, 01:12   #14

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloman78 View Post
I hear you on keeping the extra tubes but I'm just not sure they'd be serviceable.

I was going to get that pump you recommend but then I had the idea that a turbine paint sprayer might work well, the unit I got says it has 10psi, but it doesn't, it cannot actuate the OPVs, I can with the hand pump. The Invertor on the boat is large, and does run the pump at 120v without a problem, I was concerned about that too. Based on my calibrated thumb push, I'd say I'm near 3psi.

I have been thinking about taking off the tower in the back, I agree it's surely a good idea.

Thank you for the comments!!
I just came across this ad today by total chance. I thought you maybe interested as a reference to your tubes.

Zodiac 733 Hurricane Sport Tubes

I guess finding out if yours are serviceable is key to deciding on whether to keep them or not. I'm sure there is a professional tube service in the the Lake Michigan area that you can take them to and have them tell you.

You need to post more photos of the boat.
Old 09 September 2016, 02:48   #15

You're right I need more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1619 (2).JPG
Views:	270
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	115817  
Old 09 September 2016, 13:11   #16

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Congrats on your new toy!
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 14:48   #17

Town: Brighton Michigan
Boat name: AWOL
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Cool boat.
What is top speed with those twins?
Old 19 September 2016, 01:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Cool boat.
What is top speed with those twins?
I can't say right now, the way the throttle is mounted I can only go about 4900 rpm, it's doing about 45-46 like this with 21 pitch props, it's pitched low, I'm sure to help it as a tow boat, it accelerates very well. If conditions are good I've been cruising at about 40 with about 4300rpm.
Old 20 September 2016, 20:10   #19

Does anyone know why this site wont take pictures from my IPAD?
Old 20 September 2016, 23:07   #20

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
Using the app? Works on my iPhone, should work on iPad.

Jason

Tags
rib, zodiac