Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I like you, Stoo.
Hey, what's not to like!

Seriously though, my boat is probably the most coveted boat in town, at least amongst the diving crowd. When I leave it at the dock, there's inevitably someone standing there oooing and awwwing and full of questions. There are a couple of larger RIBS in town, but mine is the only private one. They are just very rare up here, especially Hurricanes.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 13:42   #23

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Hey, what's not to like!

Seriously though, my boat is probably the most coveted boat in town, at least amongst the diving crowd. When I leave it at the dock, there's inevitably someone standing there oooing and awwwing and full of questions. There are a couple of larger RIBS in town, but mine is the only private one. They are just very rare up here, especially Hurricanes.
Tell me about it, we rarely ever see a RIB around my place unless it's the Coast Guard. Last summer every time I was out on the Ottawa river someone flaged us down for some assistance.
Old 26 May 2009, 14:21   #24

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
I have been warned about the mistaken Identity thing.

I have an ex-USCG 6meter Searider with an Orange kevlar hull, black "A-frame" and towing post. I am the local dive team leader and was joking with Sheriff about putting on a yellow flashing light when he offered me a full blue/red light bar!?!?!

Sure case of mistaken identity then!
Old 26 May 2009, 19:47   #25

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
ACB Riverine boat

Hi All, Last summer, while boating on the lower Connecticut River, I happened to see this beast. Here is a video of it.

It is designed for very shallow water coastal patrols and so forth. The jet drive was amazing. While not a rib, it was impressive.

Bill
Old 27 May 2009, 02:07   #26

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Minnow View Post
I have been warned about the mistaken Identity thing.
Yup, happens all the time. Last weekend I was out near Toronto and the Toronto Harbour Police were pulling boats over for safety checks continuously. When I went past, wearing a black Floater jacket in my grey and black Hurricane, they coppers just waved at me. There is a naval reserves yard nearby, and I assume they figured I was from there!

John, you mention the Ottawa River... when we dive Rockport/Brockville, we get flagged down almost daily.... I'm happy to help, but I'm constantly amazed at the number of people out in boats with no fuel/radio/cell phone/paddles/bailing bucket/brains. My total compensation in perhaps 8 tows: precisely one luke warm beer!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 27 May 2009, 22:00   #27

Quote:
Yup, happens all the time. Last weekend I was out near Toronto and the Toronto Harbour Police were pulling boats over for safety checks continuously. When I went past, wearing a black Floater jacket in my grey and black Hurricane, they coppers just waved at me. There is a naval reserves yard nearby, and I assume they figured I was from there!

John, you mention the Ottawa River... when we dive Rockport/Brockville, we get flagged down almost daily.... I'm happy to help, but I'm constantly amazed at the number of people out in boats with no fuel/radio/cell phone/paddles/bailing bucket/brains. My total compensation in perhaps 8 tows: precisely one luke warm beer!
I'm getting new rescue vests and I wear dark blue cargo pants when its not warm out and the boat is all black. Everyone waves at us and my wife thought people where being friendly.

Best one last year was 2 guys anchored to do some fishing right in a 75 ft wide marked channel. I was behind two big cruisers that had to almost stop to pass by them and when I doubled up next to the cruisers the guys fishing freaked out thinking I was the coast guard. So I played along and stayed behind them till they got going out of there. I assist as much as I can when the Coast Guard asks on the radio since they only have a few boats around here and the locks can prevent them most of the time from getting to a call.

As for military Ribs, we don't see any around here at all.

Man I can't wait to get on the water, been working 7 days a week so no time so far. Next week I'll go scare a few on the water.
Old 27 May 2009, 22:25   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
This all sounds familiar. We get a lot of that! So far we've been mistaken for Cops, Customs and Fisheries Patrol. I think it's the combination of blue tubes, twin motors and day-glo attire. Generally the other party just looks sullen, shifty or guilty. I do wonder what they're up to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullover!.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	42792  
Old 28 May 2009, 01:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This all sounds familiar. We get a lot of that! So far we've been mistaken for Cops, Customs and Fisheries Patrol. I think it's the combination of blue tubes, twin motors and day-glo attire. Generally the other party just looks sullen, shifty or guilty. I do wonder what they're up to?
Exactly what I told my wife, they wave at us thinking where cops or coast guard most likely because they're guilty of something.
Old 28 May 2009, 23:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Exactly what I told my wife, they wave at us thinking where cops or coast guard most likely because they're guilty of something.
LOL... We should start pulling these shifty b*ggers over and confiscating their beer etc.

When I was in high school, a friend bought an old California Highway Patrol unmarked car at an auction. We used to have great fun "patrolling" all of the local "parking" spots. Nothing like pulling up behind a buddies car with steamed up windows with the high beams on and then watching the flurry of activity inside.

And yes, I appreciate that we were the losers that weren't "getting any"...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 29 May 2009, 12:40   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
LOL.

I like you, Stoo.

jky

Quote:
LOL... We should start pulling these shifty b*ggers over and confiscating their beer etc.
kinda warmin' to the dude myself
Old 01 June 2009, 03:15   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
kinda warmin' to the dude myself

www.wetspotimages.com