Old 15 April 2010, 04:56   #1

Town: Vancouver Island
Boat name: Blue Heron
Make: Polaris
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Me again: fuel filter/separator?

Greetings all,
Just purchased a used 16.5' Polaris fiberglass hulled RIB with an in-hull fuel tank (capacity unknown) that feeds a 60hp Yamaha and 4hp kicker. Guy at Polaris recommended I install a Racor fuel/water filter with a plastic bulb and install it on the transom. After poking around on the forums here, I think what he means is this:
http://ca.binnacle.com/Maintenance-F...duct_info.html
Am I correct? I am assuming it mounts to the transom. Can anyone provide specifics on how/where exactly to mount it? Thanks in advance. Oh and so far the boat kicks @$$!
Old 15 April 2010, 15:22   #2

Town: Victoria, B.C.
Make: H733 OB, H672 Jet
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 150's
My filter/seperator is mounted just to the left of the motor on the inside onf the transom. I think you want it mounted as close to the engine as possible, so it will collect as much debris as possible from the tank and fuel lines. I dont have a glass bulb on mine, just a screw on filter that also seperates water. Disadvantage-i cant see if ther is water. Advantage-probably more durable. The last thing I'd want is to have that glass bulb break! Where on the Island are you?

Tim
Old 15 April 2010, 16:05   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
My boat had this installed:

http://www.simyamaha.com/Racor_Fuel_.../35-809096.htm

The filter cannister is replaceable, and the bowl is re-usable. There is a plug that allows for draining the bowl of water without taking the thing off.

You will also need the mounting bracket, and a few assorted plugs and barbs (the mount has ports for 2 fuel lines in and 2 out. You need to plug one of them, and plumb the others to connect to your fuel lines.)

The Racor mounts are painted aluminum, and look like crap after a season. I went for the Yamaha stainless mount (it comes with a 1-piece filter cannister, which was held as a spare):

http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Fuel...prtr-hd-ss.htm

When you get the Racor, make sure you get a sort-of industry standard filter (the S3213 is a Mercury/Quicksilver standard layout) so you can easily find replacement cannisters.

One other thing: If you're using your boat in salt water, give the can exterior a couple of coats of automotive wax before mounting it. Cuts way down on rust.

jky
Old 16 April 2010, 06:16   #4

Town: Vancouver Island
Boat name: Blue Heron
Make: Polaris
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Tim, I'm on the west coast, near Tofino/Ucluelet. Thanks for the tips John. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for more advice down the road. Very much appreciate it. And you were right about Guy. Solid outfit that.
Old 16 April 2010, 15:49   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Glad things worked out well.

jky
Old 11 May 2010, 14:36   #6

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: 2 intense
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard
Zinc chromate primer (Moeller 025472) keeps the rust at bay for a LONG time! Just paint over it with a finish coat of Merc Phantom black p/n 92-802878q-1.
Good luck, safe ribbing!
I like the Sea choice fuel filter kit/water separator because it's only $32.25, has the large inlet/outlet ports!
Bill @ Russo Marine 617-288-1000\Bill in parts\Boston, Mass