Old 07 May 2007, 15:26   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
looking for glue

I need to buy some hypaloin glue for my boat. Ive searched and found that a lot of people like the bostich glue but couldnt find it in the US, I keep finding the weaver 2 part glue. Is this just as good or does anyone know where I can order the bostich in the US. I just want to do the repairs right with no regrets. Any info would be appreciated., thanks
Old 07 May 2007, 15:32   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
Ive searched and found that a lot of people like the bostich glue but couldnt find it in the US,
Dude; I've been looking for a US supplier for Bostik 2402 for something like 5 years.

If you absolutely have to have Bostik, shoot an e-mail to Guy at Polaris Inflatables in Sidney, BC (http://www.polarisboats.com). I know he uses it and can get you small quantities.

Other than that, I've gone to using the Clifton adhesive, which seems to work pretty well. Available in many places, including NRS (www.nrsweb.com).

Luck;

jky
Old 07 May 2007, 16:10   #3

thanks for that info, Is the clifton any better than the weaver anyone know?
Old 07 May 2007, 17:07   #4

Town: Toronto
Length: 4m +
We supply two part glue for Hypalon and PVC coated fabrics. Small quantities are always available. We have used our hypalon adhesive to build hundreds of tubes and perform many more repairs over the last 15 years. Our PVC adhesive has also been used for the same length of time to repair many, many tubes made from PVC coated fabric. We are located in Toronto, Ontario and have shipped small quantities to the US. If you would like more info you can PM me.
Old 08 May 2007, 13:29   #5

Length: 5m +
I know that Ribcraft puts a tube of Bostik glue in their repair kits - perhaps you can contact them and they'd sell some of the glue. www.ribcraftusa.com
Actually, you probably could call any of the RIB manufacturers in the US to find the glue: Nautica, Novurania, Ribcraft...
Old 08 May 2007, 15:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
thanks for that info, Is the clifton any better than the weaver anyone know?

Don't know, having never used the Weaver glue.

The Clifton stuff seems pretty good; like 2402, it has a hardener (not an activator, as I once thought it was) that is in most cases actually not needed.

As with most solvent-based adhesives, it does have a limited shelf life, so be a little sparing on what you order.

jky
Old 08 May 2007, 17:01   #7

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Hypalon glue is available from Zodiac, West Marine, and many other sources that will be found by google search, including http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1904#.
Old 09 May 2007, 03:03   #8

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
I use the polymarine 2-part glue sold by west marine and it seems to hold fine. Had a seam pull apart a bit, glued it and have not needed to add air to the tube since. Before every 3 days it would go flat
Old 09 May 2007, 04:01   #9

thanks

thanks for all the input, I might try ribcraft in Mass. If I cant get the bostich ill go another route
Old 13 May 2007, 04:20   #10

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
haz mat

Good luck getting the glue shipped. At least up to AK it is a nightmare; $60 shipping from the Seattle (?) NRS store! I finally found the Clifton 4844 and the accelerator in Anchorage; a mere $35 to truck it up. Ribcraft recommended I use the Clifton, btw. It seems awfully tough and sticky, though I have not splashed the boat yet. It hits the salt in a week.
Old 15 May 2007, 03:08   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
That nrs website is loaded with very cool stuff

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1090
Old 16 May 2007, 16:28   #12

Town: Chicago
Make: Hurricane
Engine: 50hp Yami
I have used the nrs site to order a few things like hypalon and grab handles, they ship stuff very quickly and prices are pretty good.
Old 17 May 2007, 02:58   #13

thanks for all the info, I probally am going to use the clifton, now I just need the energy to get going on the repairs. I also am looking for something to tie my anchor to on the bow. Anyone have any idea of a us supplier that sells the bow cleats or bow rollers that I can glue on my boat
Old 18 May 2007, 16:51   #14

Might try here (never dealt with these folks; found on a search):

http://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/home.php

I'm sure there are others; but I haven't found em.

jky
Old 19 May 2007, 00:11   #15

thanks again for all the info. I have ordered the clifton from nrs websight and it is already being shipped to me. Now I need some nice weather and some incentive to start preparing the tubes. Dont have too much work just need to get going.
Old 19 May 2007, 00:26   #16

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Please post the results of your use of the glue as I need some for re-attaching pvc rub strakes that have "departed" from the tubes at the cone end. Tempted to use Gorilla Glue available at the local ACE hardware. It is polyurathane and is low cost in small quantities.
Thanks T.
Old 19 May 2007, 01:15   #17

are you gluing the pvc to pvc or hypalon? Dont go the cheap way. You have a new project now. If you search good you can find good prices on the glue you need. I have seen the gorilla glue you mean and even thought of buying it for an old inflatable. I always worried that if it doesnt work good it will be a lot of work to clean it again for the proper glue. I spent almost $50 but it was for a large can plus the activater. I will have enough for any project I need for the shelf life of the glue. You dont even need that much. there are plenty of links on this thread alone. And I will post pics of the repairs . Just the other day I found a link on here that had a huge amount of info on repairs. Little tricks that made so much sence like using a can to roll up the patches if they are long, useing tape and other helpfull ideas. If I find it Ill try to post it here.
Old 19 May 2007, 01:26   #18

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
PVC strake to hypalon. I can buy the 2 part from West marine who have a store about 20 miles away. I have seen the same link with the tips for gluing and like yourself cannot remember where it is. I think I will take your advice and splash out for the two part from West Marine.
Thanks T.
Old 19 May 2007, 09:42   #19

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
thares a shop in Cal, they make a vary ausome glue, 10years, thousands of patches, never failed. Stabond, remember you are not gluing, more like taping,
if you try to stickit before the glue sets up, you are Makin a mess and it will show.
Old 17 June 2007, 05:40   #20

wanted to give an update of my repair, I bought the clifton glue and it worked great, very easy to use, I had a perfect day, perfect temp no humidity. My worry about the patch was when I started to peel back the patch I tried to be very carefull and used a hairdryer but as I did I noticed that the rubber started to peel off and exposed the threads. I decided not to go any further and start from there. I came across 2 problems that I had to deal with. One was that where the patch was it was very hard to get the fabric flat enough for a good patch. Because of how thick the tube is in the front and all the extra layers of material it was tough. Because I had a bow lockr up front I at least had a nice flat surface to start with. After playing around with some blocks of wood I was ablbe to get it preety flat but it did not want to stay like this. I was afraid that when I went to stick the patch it would move on me and cause problems. I took care of this by usinf a couple of small bar clamps to flatten the tube and prevent it from mooving. Now that I had a nice surface I had to deal with the other problem....

I will try to show some pics to help explain this. The patch is one already on there and it did not seperated evenly. It was loose on the top and also on the bottom while along the center it was still attached. After a few long moments of banging my head against the wall I came up with using a small pair of vice grips to hold the two halves of the patch together then tied the vice grips to a handle on my tube to hold apart while I apply the glue. This kept the patch at a perfect spot for me and when it came time to apply it was very easy. I took my time and rolled out the patch as described in so many threads on this sight. The boat hold air now indefinately. If anyone has any problems like this and needs any info I would be glad to answer any questions and help in any way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4271.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	27788   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4301.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	27789   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4302.jpg
Views:	251