Old 14 July 2008, 04:18   #1
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
July 4th Catalina Island Trip Report

Against most people's advice, i decided for my second trip in my new rib, to go to Catalina Island.

I felt that the 4th of July weekend would be a good time to go.

I have taken my 23.5 ft boat over many times, but this was going to be my first in a 14 ft. boat.

My destination at the island was the town of Avalon.

The majority of boaters tie up on mooring balls in the harbor. There is no reservation system, so it is first come first served. During the summer it can be very difficult to get a mooring.

A second option is to anchor outside of the harbor in around 100ft of water, which most people are not prepared to do.

The third option is to park a 14ft. boat or less at the dinghy docks. It is free, and reservations are not needed, and you can always find some space. This is the main reason i purchased a 14 foot rib.

My plan was to trailer my boat from San Diego to Dana Point, and put in there for the 32nm crossing.

Since this was my first trip, i provisioned kind of light.

I took:

an anchor, flares, flip flops, distress flag, air horn, 2 pairs of shorts and 2 t shirts, charts, a sweatshirt, handheld compass, gps, flashlight, camera, vhf radio, manual dewatering pump, a six pack of water, cell phone, an American flag, snorkel, mask, fins, my Borat thong swimsuit, and a 12 pack of Trojans.

I left Dana Point at 6:30 am on the 4th of July. The sea was calm, but it was very foggy.
For the first 21 miles i didn't see anything. In my big boat, this would not concern me because i have radar. I did have a compass and a gps, so i knew i was on course, i just did not know where the other boaters were.

I finally broke out of the fog and could see the island. I could also see a very large of pod of dolphins. I was heading West, and they were going from South to North. I have gone through dolphin pods many times before, but i never get used to it. I alway think that i am going to hit them, but that never happens.

Off in the distance i can see a large freighter going south around 8 miles in front of me. it appears to me that i will pass way in front of it. With my radar, i would have known for sure, but i felt that i would be ok. As the gap narrows, i can see this freighter is pushing a lot of white water in front of it. this boat seems to be going faster than i originally thought. I increase my speed from 20 to 30 knots and pass around 1 mile in front of the freighter.

I arrive in Avalon at 7:50 am. I am very happy with the time it took me to get to the island. Since my gas gauge does not appear to be working, i immediately pull up to the fuel docks. Gas is $5.79 a gallon, which does not surprise me. I takes 4.7 gallons to fill my tank. I am very happy with that.

I pull up to the dinghy docks, and see that i have joined around 50 other inflatables.

Someone comments: nice tender. I reply: thanks. i am then asked what kind of boat i have. Novurania. No, what kind of boat did you come over on? This one. this will be the first of many bewidered looks. Huh, OK, you came over on that inflatable? Yes i did!

There was a cool golf cart parade led by the USC Marching Band, a BBQ, and fireworks.

It was a very full and fun 4th.

The following day i cruised to a couple of remote coves and did some sunning and snorkeling. I also did a lot of low speed cruising in the harbor through all the moored boats. Happy hour on a rib is a very entertaining.

I came back on the following day.

The trip back was smooth and uneventful.

Even though i came back with an unopened box of the big Tees, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I know i made the right decision to purchase my rib.

I am going back to Catalina this weekend.

Zip
Old 14 July 2008, 05:18   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Wow - thanks for the report. Catalina I. sounds like it's a really neat place.
Old 14 July 2008, 14:58   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
Against most people's advice, i decided for my second trip in my new rib, to go to Catalina Island.

Quote:
I took:

an anchor, flares, ..., an American flag
A Spanish/American dictionary might have come in handy should you have been redirected to Gitmo...

Glad it went well. Glad you made it there and back. Glad you posted the report.

jky
Old 14 July 2008, 15:49   #4

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: White Chocolate
Make: AB
Engine: 50 HP, 3.3 HP Merc
MMSI: 338079539
Send a message via MSN to PacificNWrib
Excellent report on your trip. You made great time by the sounds of it. Your gas mileage is definitely better than my two stroke 50. Your trip gives me a bit more confidence to try some offshore fishing trips off the Oregon Coast. They run about 12-15 miles off the coast.

Perhaps you should bring a package of "ribbed" Tees for the next trip.

JB

US COAST GUARD AUX
Flotilla 130-07-08
PacificNWrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 06:28   #5

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: Napili
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda 50 o/b
Looking for another Rib for cruising?

Glad to hear of your venture. I also have a 14 ft., an Avon Searider. I put in at Marina del Rey, and have contemplated going to Catalina. My son (age 12) and I are working up to the trip. Would you consider teaming up on a future trip? Two boats are way safer than one.

West LA Jay
Old 17 July 2008, 04:01   #6

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Sounds like a fun idea ! Nice to have some back up
Zip, did you find any good places to stay on your visit?
We tried camping on the beach last time and it was a disaster
cheers Dal
Old 17 July 2008, 13:00   #7
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
jky,

If i was ever directed to Gitmo, i would definitely need a new compass and gps.

JB,

Ribbed Tees? That's a good idea.

West LA Jay,

Sure come on down. I launch out of Dana. I am going out tomorrow morning at 7:30 am.

Dal,

I found a great place to stay on my visit. A hotel.

I am headed back over again tomorrow for the LA Sheriff's Gold Star Dive on Saturday.

hope everyone gets out this weekend.

Zip
Old 18 July 2008, 11:53   #8

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
... my Borat thong swimsuit, and a 12 pack of Trojans.
LOL... The fact that your box of "T"s remained unopened "might" have something to do with your choice of atire! I believe Rogan in here has had some experience in a Borat thong as well!

Sounds like a great trip. I always enjoy heading out into the fog (I spend most of my days on land in a fog as well...) but then we don't have anywhere near the boat traffic here. I did a 90 mile trip last summer and saw one other boat once I was away from the harbour... I am still amazed at these new-fangled GPS thingys...

Thanks for the report... but take some pics next time!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote