Old 08 May 2008, 18:47   #11

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
You will have some issues with the Coast Guard as well as they check the horse power and capacity rating when they do some safety inspections. You are looking at a world of hurt going with that much more horesepower on a boat that size. Just get a bigger boat.

Old 09 May 2008, 11:57   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
You will have some issues with the Coast Guard as well as they check the horse power and capacity rating when they do some safety inspections. You are looking at a world of hurt going with that much more horesepower on a boat that size. Just get a bigger boat.
Capacity, yes, in terms of payload and passengers; I believe the max hp rating is not on-water enforceable (as I recall.) In other words, the Max HP rating is a guideline for use when selecting an engine, and a limit for insurance purposes, but holds no other legal weight when on-water. In California, I am reasonably sure overpowering is not a citeable offense (note that it is in some states.) I cannot find anything that states this, but that's not a surprise. I also cannot find anything that says that overpowering is an offense.

Still, the CG tends to look for problems when things are out of the ordinary, so you're probably still right on the scrutinization process.

jky

Old 09 May 2008, 18:08   #13

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
If the hp recommendation is based on weight and power capacity of a boat and if I win the lottery I was considering a 115 4 stroke but it out weighs my 1994 115 2 stroke by a significance amount, should I be concerned about the additional weight on the transom? I know part of the answer(plate the transom) but would like to hear others opinion.
Old 10 May 2008, 19:01   #14

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Take a look at the new evinrude e-tec 2 strokes. They are just as quiet as the 4 storkes, don't produce any fumes, and are sigificantly less weight than a 4 stroke. When I repower my 225 hp, i will go to that to cut the weight in the boat. http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/