Old 07 May 2008, 03:41   #1

Length: 6m +
Is it legal to over-power a RIB in California?

The maximum power allowed is 115hp. If I put a 150hp on this RIB, is it legal in California? Can it be registered? Can it get insurance? Thanks!
Old 07 May 2008, 13:09   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I don't specifically know about California, but here in Ontario it would be legal, but you might have issues with insurance, especially with the liability aspect. I inquired about this verything recently...

S

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 15:48   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It's legal, but you likely will have trouble getting insurance (probably.)

[Note: I have heard of people who fess up to insurance companies about beyond max-spec power installations getting coverage, but can't provide details, as I don't remember them.]

Your best bet would be to talk to the insurance co.'s prior to making the change.

Registration in California shouldn't be a problem. They're just worried about the hull ID number. As I recall, they ask what kind of propulsion (motor, oars, sail), not size or specs or anything like that.

Calif. Reg (DMV) form is here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/boat/boat101.htm

You will also have to register the trailer (assuming you have one); form is here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4017.pdf

Luck;

jky
Old 07 May 2008, 18:46   #4

Thank you so much!
I am new in boating and I don't know whether there is any regulation in the water. Can I drive the boat anywhere around Bay Area?

By the way, do you know any good place to buy a yamaha engine and install it on the boat?

Thanks again,
Aming
Old 07 May 2008, 19:15   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aming View Post
I am new in boating
Overpowering would be a really stupid thing to do then!

Get some experience first.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 19:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Overpowering would be a really stupid thing to do then!

Why? Putting a 150hp engine doesn't mean I have to use up 150 horse power. I just need some back up power and I can get higher cruising speed. Could you tell me what is the stupid thing?
Old 07 May 2008, 20:01   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Why? Putting a 150hp engine doesn't mean I have to use up 150 horse power. I just need some back up power and I can get higher cruising speed. Could you tell me what is the stupid thing?
If your boat is rated for 115hp and you want more backup power,you need a bigger boat that's rated to take more power. Overpowering will ruin the balance,handling and probably overload the transom-with weight as well as power. As you say you have no experience,then the first mistake is likely to hurt. A lot.

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching here, but you admit you know nothing about boats yet you want to ignore some fairly fundamental rules like max HP. That's a pretty stupid thing to do...specially in a country where people sue to pass the time.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2008, 20:10   #8

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
I strongly suggest you listen to NOSR4. Bigger is not always better. Why do you think you need "backup power" ?
Old 07 May 2008, 22:21   #9

I'd agree with Nos and LL.

The max power rating of a hull is not some arbitrary number; it was figured by the manufacturer as an adequate amount of power for the hull, while keeping handling characteristics within range of consumer/users.

The problem with ignoring the spec (from a strictly liability standpoint) is twofold: First, as mentioned, you'll have problems getting your vessel insured. Second, if *anything* happens wherein someone is injured, the opposing attorneys will likely have you found reckless and at fault.

As far as boating in the SF Bay Area, buy a chart, and take a look. There's quite a bit of room for boating in the SF Bay and connecting waterways (Oakland Estuary, San Pablo Bay, Sacto River, Pacific Ocean, etc.) but listing places you cannot go (either by mandate or environmental factors) are too numerous to catalog.

jky

Sorry; As to your last question, The Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland is one of the major players in the Bay Area.
Old 08 May 2008, 01:07   #10

Thanks for the information and suggestions.
Old 08 May 2008, 22:47   #11

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
You will have some issues with the Coast Guard as well as they check the horse power and capacity rating when they do some safety inspections. You are looking at a world of hurt going with that much more horesepower on a boat that size. Just get a bigger boat.
Old 09 May 2008, 15:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
You will have some issues with the Coast Guard as well as they check the horse power and capacity rating when they do some safety inspections. You are looking at a world of hurt going with that much more horesepower on a boat that size. Just get a bigger boat.
Capacity, yes, in terms of payload and passengers; I believe the max hp rating is not on-water enforceable (as I recall.) In other words, the Max HP rating is a guideline for use when selecting an engine, and a limit for insurance purposes, but holds no other legal weight when on-water. In California, I am reasonably sure overpowering is not a citeable offense (note that it is in some states.) I cannot find anything that states this, but that's not a surprise. I also cannot find anything that says that overpowering is an offense.

Still, the CG tends to look for problems when things are out of the ordinary, so you're probably still right on the scrutinization process.

jky
Old 09 May 2008, 22:08   #13

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
If the hp recommendation is based on weight and power capacity of a boat and if I win the lottery I was considering a 115 4 stroke but it out weighs my 1994 115 2 stroke by a significance amount, should I be concerned about the additional weight on the transom? I know part of the answer(plate the transom) but would like to hear others opinion.
Old 10 May 2008, 23:01   #14

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Take a look at the new evinrude e-tec 2 strokes. They are just as quiet as the 4 storkes, don't produce any fumes, and are sigificantly less weight than a 4 stroke. When I repower my 225 hp, i will go to that to cut the weight in the boat. http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/