Click Here to Login

Old 07 May 2012, 21:53   #1

Town: San Diego
Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Installing Zodiac tubes, advice needed

I am installing a set of hypalon rib tubes bolt rope style, from the Rib Shop (Thanks Kieran!).
However i cant seem to get them to slide all the way down.
I am about 6 inches short on both sides. I can see there is room in the bow just seems to be stuck. I used plenty of fairy liquid. Do i just keep pulling?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08 May 2012, 17:04   #2

Town: Leesburg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 40
Are the tubes in the right position at the front? On my Zodiac (Pro II) the runner for holding the tube does not go all the way to the end of the slot. There is about 6 inches of the slot left open. The tubes are secured properly at the front with screws and washers.
Old 09 May 2012, 17:03   #3

Town: Palm Beach
Boat name: Octopussy
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Diesel
For the last few inches, I used ratchet strap to pull the tube tight until rear bolt holes lined up. This was on Hurricane 640. attach strap webbing to the inside tube strip where bolt holes are, I used 2 washers, one on top, one on bottom, and pinched it all together with ViceGrips. Anchored ratchet hook on the transom eyebolt, and ratcheted the tube into position with few clicks. Basically, make sure you protect the hypalon when pinching it together with webbing strap, so nothing gets damaged. Easy does it, but it needs certain pull strength in order to move the tube all the way to the back. One side at a time...
Old 09 May 2012, 17:24   #4

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
tubes

On a Zodiac Pro style boat you should not need to use straps to be able to pull the tubes on. At least for the factory built tubes, a little bit of lube (generally soapy water) and they should slide right on. Sometimes it may take a person or two but shouldn't be the hassle it sounds like you are having. You may try removing the tubes and setting them on the hull to make sure that they are the exact shape as your hull. You can also flip them and take some masurement to make sure the bolt ropes are in the right location. I've had a few customers over the years who purchased after market tubes only to find out that there was a slight enough varience in shape or bolt rope location and the tubes would not fit. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 09 May 2012, 17:59   #5

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
They should pull on with a good tug, your right washing up liquid and water helps, try inflating them so the just keep shape but no where near operating pressure.