Old 09 January 2007, 02:19   #1

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I'm seriously considering...

...getting my boat out of storage. I was just watching the long-term weather predictions for the rest of the "winter" here in southern Ontario, and I think there could be some reasonable boating weather. I think as long as I make sure I thoroughly drain my lower unit after I use it, that there shouldn't be much risk... Having just returned from 10 days in the Rockies, I think skiing is pretty much over around here!

Anyone else thinking the same thing? (And I mean you northern folk...!)

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2007, 03:29   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
It'll be -18 C here overnight. Way warmer than normal for this time of year, but still not exactly boating weather.
Old 09 January 2007, 03:50   #3

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
I'll be right there

It is presently -32 F here. Mine is sitting tight for a bit. Make room in your boat, and get your landing net ready. I'll be right down. Thanks. j
Old 09 January 2007, 04:17   #4

Town: Vancouver B.C.
Length: no boat
Cold snap coming in tommorow will be your way end of the week so i would hold off a bit there
Old 09 January 2007, 14:07   #5

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Stoo, I have been thinking there has been weather so good you could almost go boating, but it snowed this morning, weather is like a woman, a bit unpredictable! so my conclusion is... it's a long way til spring!
Old 09 January 2007, 14:22   #6

No skiing locally...No boating. I might need to take up womanizing to pass the time!

BTW, Prairie Tuber, I looked for you a week or so ago... I think you must have been lost in the swirling clouds of snow at the airport.... Or it might have been that we were 3 1/2 hours late getting in!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 09 January 2007, 15:05   #7

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Hey Stoo,

I think I remember seeing a self righting system on your boat. Did you install that system or did it come as an option on your boat? Thinking about rigging something like that on our hurricane, it would be a nice peace of mind when crossing lake michigan in bad weather.
Old 09 January 2007, 16:00   #8

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Anyone else thinking the same thing? (And I mean you northern folk...!)
I am booked to go North on Friday and was planning on Skiing in West Virginia. Normally they have 5 feet or so of Lake Effect snow up there this time of year but I'm packing my shorts and tees. We'll probably head for the Chesapeake Bay for some sailing and Rock (Striped Bass) fishing. Damn...this Southern folk wanted to play in the SNOW!
Old 09 January 2007, 18:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
BTW, Prairie Tuber, I looked for you a week or so ago... I think you must have been lost in the swirling clouds of snow at the airport.... Or it might have been that we were 3 1/2 hours late getting in!
I gave up and left after waiting on the tarmac for 3 1/4 hrs - must have just missed you.
Old 10 January 2007, 00:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Hey Stoo,

I think I remember seeing a self righting system on your boat. Did you install that system or did it come as an option on your boat? Thinking about rigging something like that on our hurricane, it would be a nice peace of mind when crossing lake michigan in bad weather.
When I first got the boat, I added the self-righting frame, but customised the fuel tank holders. (The 590 has a 132 litre inboard tank, so these are to extend the range a little. I have a 'T' valve on the fuel line to connect them.) I wanted this frame to hold antennas etc. I added the self-righting rig later. I had to reposition the antennas etc. You need a very strong frame of course, but it is all available off the shelf, although I'm not sure about your boat. It's a fairly complicated thing to set up.... triggers, lanyards, etc. I don't know if there's anyone in your area that services Hurricanes, but I'm sure you could get the stuff from the guy up here. He's in Toronto, which is about an 8 hour drive from Chicago (without a trailer!)

I sometimes think it's silly having this setup, but then I remember that I got my boat from a police department that flipped it while involved in a "rescue"! Their replacement boat still doesn't have self-righting gear!

Here's a better picture of the setup on my boat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	24160  

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 10 January 2007, 00:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I gave up and left after waiting on the tarmac for 3 1/4 hrs - must have just missed you.
Must have...! Oh well, if we don't get some winter around here soon, I suspect I'll be passing through again before long!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 10 January 2007, 03:57   #12

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
Warm weather here in northern New England. I have been out a couple of times so far this new year. The only thing that bothers me, I am the only one, except a maybe a hardcore lobsterman.
Old 10 January 2007, 14:57   #13

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Hey Stoo,

Thanks for posting that shot of your setup. We were thinking of having ours setup manually so that in the event of a flip we would have to swim around and open the bottle to inflate the bag. I guess the engine would be stuffed until we got the boat back to shore. Sure would be nice if the engine could be set up to handle a flip though. But then again we might go a little too wild if the boat could handle a flip and start again.
Old 11 January 2007, 17:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklingel View Post
It is presently -32 F here. Mine is sitting tight for a bit. Make room in your boat, and get your landing net ready. I'll be right down. Thanks. j
Well thanks for sending it this way. It'll be staying somewhere between -30 C (-22 F) and - 35 C (- 31F) for the next 4 - 5 days.
Old 11 January 2007, 22:54   #15

Rogan:

My system (which is "official") has a lanyard that feeds down through the frame to a handle on the transom. Yank the handle, and about 4 seconds later, you have a sausage that's about 7' long and about 24" in diameter. I have been cautioned that in the event I actually need to use this thing, that you need to tether myself on a longish line to the boat. Otherwise, when the tube blows, the boat acts as a sail (assuming it was dang windy when you dumped!) and you loose your boat... totally! I suppose the only thing worse that an upside down RIB is an upside down RIB that is drifting away faster than you can swim.

I'm waiting for some smart-ass to tie a chord to the handle when I'm parked/docked someplace... Should cause an interesting show when I drive away!

Incidently, the re-boating plan isn't looking so hot all of a sudden... 30 cm last night... although most of it blew right past my place!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 12 January 2007, 00:37   #16

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Hey Stoo, it looks like they are calling for a "Artic Blast" Monday night, don't get your boat out yet.