Old 13 September 2015, 22:28   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I need a less effective anchor

Well fishing with my boys today today I lost my second anchor. It got locked up hard and I spent enough time trying to work it free that the rope gave way. I have it in GPS, 40' of water I'll have to go dive for it.

So I need and anchor for fishing. Just a little something to hold me still that won't get jammed in the rocks.

Any suggestions?

Jason
Old 13 September 2015, 22:37   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Just outta wading depth, eh?

What sort of anchor did you lose and what sort of ground did you lose it on?

Edit: Did you have any sort of trip or release rigged on it?
Old 13 September 2015, 23:27   #3
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Engine: Cummins
Standard used Danforth cheapo Craigslist special?
Old 13 September 2015, 23:42   #4

I need a less effective anchor

It was a 14lbs delta and 25' of chain in rocky reef. No it wasn't rigged to trip. I leave the boat alone when we dive and the thought of relying on a zip tie for that doesn't sit well with me.

Fishing rod and reel is new for me so still working out the details. Maybe a much smaller anchor rigged to trip.

If I had my fins and mask I might have barebacked it to try and free it. I'm want to scuba it so I can see what the heck happened.

Jason
Old 14 September 2015, 00:11   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
If your anchors are getting snagged then you are either on reef (structure) or getting hooked up on cables. Out here millions of boat owners use use a cheap and simple grapple reef anchor with chain and rope, the gauge of the bars depends on the size of the boat (you need to be able to bend them if they get stuck) Reef Anchor | eBay

Danforths can also be used in a snag free way by attaching the chain to the back of the anchor rather than the front. The front hole of the anchor can hold the chain via a strong cable tie which if the anchor becomes stuck driving the boat with the anchor tied to the front of the boat will break the tie and the anchor can the be retrieved backwards. This can be done with most anchors. I mainly use the graple type only as I fish and dive reef.
Jon (sorry about my crude drawing)

Old 14 September 2015, 00:29   #6

Oh it's all reef, California rock. I'm familiar with the break away setup and choose not to do it for diving with my main anchor as the boat is generally unattended.

I think the moral of the story here is that with the same boat the equipment needs are different for fishing. Just wish it hadn't cost me $200 to realize that.

Jason
Old 14 September 2015, 04:08   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
It was a 14lbs delta and 25' of chain in rocky reef. No it wasn't rigged to trip. I leave the boat alone when we dive and the thought of relying on a zip tie for that doesn't sit well with me.
On my spare (which a weird one-off Bruce type copy), I have the chain attached to the trip point with a quick link or shackle (don't remember now), and the secured to the shaft and eye with three of these

Assuming you have enough chain (which it sounds like you do), the pull will be linear to the shank of the anchor, and it will take motor power to break the larger zip ties (I'm not as burly as you are.). I'd have no qualms about diving with the setup (and indeed, have, on occasion.)

jky
Old 14 September 2015, 04:40   #8

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
I use mostly bruce-style anchors around SoCal and haven't lost one yet, but if there's any doubts, I rig a tagline with float to a shackle on the tail end of the anchor, that way, if the anchor gets jammed, I can cleat the tagline off and pull the anchor out backwards...works like a charm!
Old 14 September 2015, 06:37   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
I use mostly bruce-style anchors around SoCal and haven't lost one yet, but if there's any doubts, I rig a tagline with float to a shackle on the tail end of the anchor, that way, if the anchor gets jammed, I can cleat the tagline off and pull the anchor out backwards...works like a charm!
Great idea.
Old 14 September 2015, 11:23   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
choose not to do it for diving with my main anchor as the boat is generally unattended.
maybe a daft question but if your diving, why don't you just pop back down and manually free it, or check it before surfacing?

If your fishing, buoy the line and pop back with a cylinder and collect the anchor later, must be cheaper than buying a new one?
Old 14 September 2015, 14:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
maybe a daft question but if your diving, why don't you just pop back down and manually free it, or check it before surfacing?

If your fishing, buoy the line and pop back with a cylinder and collect the anchor later, must be cheaper than buying a new one?

We were fishing yesterday so no dive gear. Also had no buoy to drop the line with. I've never had an anchor stuck like this so I wasn't exactly prepared for it.

Jason
Old 14 September 2015, 17:54   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I think if I were leaving the boat unattended I would want to know it was there when I surfaced not that I advocate any boat left unattended we always have one boat man at least, anchors are designed to hold some better than others.set the anchor with a trip as said and last man up has a look to see that it hasn't got fast.
Old 15 September 2015, 00:30   #13

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
As a diver Ive yet to have a boat drift away. Most divers go down the anchor line to check the anchor, if need be I will wrap the chain around a rock. Most divers will only dive a small area around the anchor of around 30-40m in the slackest of tide. I have considered double anchoring and should probably do it in the future.

Didn't you have a gps or phone you could take the position from so you could return on scuba ?

Jon
Old 15 September 2015, 01:18   #14

Yes lost anchor location is in the GPS. I'm making plans to go get it.

I'm looking at a grapple anchor for fishing. I might just make one. Lighter and bendable for never stuck retrieval...or something like that

Jason
Old 15 September 2015, 10:48   #15

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Not used one but use something like this then if it gets stuck the idea is you can pull till it bends and frees it self! Good for fishing on wrecks or reefs not for anchoring up and leaving the boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WreckAnchor.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	108663  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 16:26   #16

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
One simple way to do this with the anchor you have (assuming you get it back):

Fishing - shackle the end of the chain to the trip point. Using cotton or hemp cord (or zip tie), secure the chain to the pulling end of the anchor. This works best with an anchor without movable flukes like a Bruce or your Delta, where the chain can be stretched tight from the trip point to the holding end. Then the cord only has to hold against lateral forces, not the main pull.

If anchor is stuck fast to the bottom, secure the rode up tight and then power upstream to break the cord. At least that is the theory. This will require some experimenting to get the right cord and the number of turns through the chain link that will hold when you want it to but break when it has to. You have an advantage being a diver, you can test and observe the anchor with someone topside to run the less interesting part of the testing.

Diving - just move the end shackle from the trip point to the holding end of the anchor leaving the cord out of the system.

I was thinking that a fishing anchor might be worth looking at but they would probably not break out if stuck in a rock reef since the slider does not go all the way to the retrieval point in most anchors:Example And I am not sure that the shackle would reliably slide up the stock reliably.

I've never done it, but a buoyed retrieval line as mentioned above is the other option. To me they seem more trouble than they are worth, but I have never lost an anchor (knock on wood).
Old 15 September 2015, 17:10   #17

yeah, the recovery line option seems like it's just one more thing to get in the way, I like to keep it simple.

you have jogged what passed for a brain in my head, I could just make some quick modifications for fishing. I have a burly swivel attached to the shank end so I can't move it easily but I could just run the chain back to the retrieval point and slap a second shackle on there. I could probably just use it that way (backwards) for fishing, I don't need super holding power. or I could run it back up the horn and zip tie next to the doubled up chain.

I have a pile of stuff coming from Amazon, new delta, grapple, extra rode for the grapple, new thimble for the old anchor line. If I retrieve my lost anchor I'll send it all back

I have a giant (military issue that came with the boat) and little danforth I can use for the retrieve. I'll have a crew on the boat so I don't have to worry.

Jason
Old 20 September 2015, 16:31   #18

Town: LA
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB
Jason, when you saw Delta anchor, that's a plow right? As others have said, Bruce is used by most I know. And rather than zipties, they use relatively heavy gauge metal wire. It will eventually trip, but seems a little more substantial than plastic?

I really like CaptnRoy's idea. Captroy, does the extra line out cause hassles with tangling or wrapping in kelp?

I've used Danforth on boats with no trouble also.
Old 20 September 2015, 20:18   #19

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrunes View Post
I really like CaptnRoy's idea. Captroy, does the extra line out cause hassles with tangling or wrapping in kelp?
No, the buoyed tagline isn't a problem at all, firstly, it's much shorter than the regular anchor line, just long enough to let the buoy (small fender) reach the surface...

And you toss the buoy & tagline in the water first and then drop your anchor in, so the tagline and anchor line don't ever have a chance to tangle...

Pretty simple and time-tested....
Old 20 September 2015, 20:20   #20

Town: LA
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB
cool, thanks. I get it. Seems like a super solid solution.