Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 March 2011, 14:54   #11
Member
 
Country: Canada
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
might be cheaper and more economical to source the inboard 130-150hp diesel with outdrive?

where are you located?

good luck!
Thanks to all above for all the responses. Right now I'm in the "ask and look around" info stages, trying to get a handle on what kind of work and budget I'm going to need. The budget is tight, and given what I have read and people here have suggestion I'm looking at either a single outboard or perhaps an inboard (especially given the comment from Zodiac I've written above concerning the transom). I have no experience with inboards, so even more of newbie there, but I assume that would be a "relatively" easy job (compared to reinforcing the transom as per zodiac's comments as well as adding a bracket for the outboard).

Again, thank you all for the comments and suggestions, once I get the boat in my back yard (a month or so from now, still snow on the ground here) I'll post pictures and post everything we do online.

Oh, someone asked where I was, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Keep the posts coming, great online community here!
__________________

__________________
palar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2011, 15:02   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Palm Beach
Boat name: Octopussy
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Diesel
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
you got the 640 orange/black tubes and orange hull....no motor....from Michigan
__________________

__________________
Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2011, 15:03   #13
Member
 
Country: Canada
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
you got the 640 orange/black tubes and orange hull....no motor....from Michigan
Ces moi, well me and my sailing partner got it.
__________________
palar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2011, 17:17   #14
Member
 
Country: Canada
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
I'm guessing I will have to do something similar to this:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...ion-15706.html

Or this (anyone have any info on how this was done?):
http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=365081&postcount=8

This should be fun! :-)
__________________
palar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2011, 17:15   #15
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by palar View Post
Or this (anyone have any info on how this was done?):
http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=365081&postcount=8
Why yes, I do! :-)

When I refurb'd those two 640's, I cut the motor boxes away down to deck level and fiberglassed in 2" thick laminated plywood knees. These knees tie the stringers in to the transom and provide the transom reinforcement that I thought was sufficient.

I then installed a 1" thick marine plywood deck as well as the access hatches and the 45 degree bulkheads that you can see between the knees. The old outdrive holes also received a patch of 2" laminated wood that was fiberglassed and faired in.

Both boats got Armstrong aluminum brackets with the swim steps and ladder mounts, although the fiberglass brackets from Hermco would get my vote now.

As far as motors, having had everything from 115's to 250's on these boats, I'm quite happy with the speed from a single Honda 115 or 130. When the Honda finally dies, it'll be replaced with a single Yamaha 150, these boats are scary with any higher hp than that...

After 14 years of heavy commercial use on the the first boat, I'd say the refurb was a success...
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2011, 09:26   #16
Member
 
Country: Canada
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
Why yes, I do! :-)

When I refurb'd those two 640's, I cut the motor boxes away down to deck level and fiberglassed in 2" thick laminated plywood knees. These knees tie the stringers in to the transom and provide the transom reinforcement that I thought was sufficient.

I then installed a 1" thick marine plywood deck as well as the access hatches and the 45 degree bulkheads that you can see between the knees. The old outdrive holes also received a patch of 2" laminated wood that was fiberglassed and faired in.

Both boats got Armstrong aluminum brackets with the swim steps and ladder mounts, although the fiberglass brackets from Hermco would get my vote now.

As far as motors, having had everything from 115's to 250's on these boats, I'm quite happy with the speed from a single Honda 115 or 130. When the Honda finally dies, it'll be replaced with a single Yamaha 150, these boats are scary with any higher hp than that...

After 14 years of heavy commercial use on the the first boat, I'd say the refurb was a success...
Thank you so much for the info! Right in line with what I was thinking (although I might keep the old inboard "box" for dry storage in the boat, it will be a coach boat primarily, need a place for parts and kit).

Some pics of the state of the boat right now, lots of cleaning needing to be done. Anyone have thoughts on cutting down the height of transom?

Pics: Stern, Inside motor box (needs cleaning), gas tank (will replace), inside stern, outside shot + random dog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00356-20110319-1158.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	57768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00358-20110319-1159.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	57769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00359-20110319-1200.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	57770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00361-20110319-1200.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	57771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00363-20110319-1206.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	57772  

__________________
palar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2011, 09:37   #17
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: New Jersey
Make: Amphibian 249
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by palar View Post
Ces moi, well me and my sailing partner got it.
Nice! i saw that auction too. Glad someone that will make it great again got it.
__________________
95gstnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2011, 09:39   #18
Member
 
Country: Canada
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gstnj View Post
Nice! i saw that auction too. Glad someone that will make it great again got it.
First step is gutting an cleaning, she is filthy. The repair tubes (one of the valves is leaking). Then deal with what needs to be done to put an outboard on it, then buy an engine.

Timeline, as money and life allows ;-)
__________________
palar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2011, 09:53   #19
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: New Jersey
Make: Amphibian 249
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 177
Absolutely, over the winter I picked up a 6 meter searider that needed ALOT of cleaning as well. Every time I thought I was done I uncovered something else that was filthy or needed attention. Alot of work, but once its done, itll look great
__________________
95gstnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2011, 01:10   #20
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by palar View Post
Anyone have thoughts on cutting down the height of transom?
On both of my 640's, I cut the transom down to within 1 inch of the top of the curved tube notch...
__________________

__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.