Old 13 April 2017, 11:01   #1

Length: 10m +
Hurricane 630

I have the opportunity to buy a very nice Hurricane 630 with water jet but have no experience of this model. Does anybody have any opinions on performance and seakindliness etc? And is there anything in particular I should look out for? I'm guessing the capability difference between a 630 (although actually 6.8m) and a 733 is pretty big? Thanks
Old 30 July 2017, 08:41   #2

Town: Alaska
Boat name: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp - Volvo Diesel
The Hurricane 500 & 733 are the only two ribs i have ever owned and i will say i would prefer no other boats over them even though i haven't even tried any others. They are constructed like battleships, at the price that they are also significantly heavier then most if not all other ribs similar in size. Weight is a huge advantage when it comes to rough seas if you have enough power to keep these boats up and out of the water on plane. (Generally Twin 150s, twin 175s, & even twin 200s i have seen for the 733s) They are also Wider, have thicker Tubes & are literally unaffected by any amount weight you could put on them (Giving the Motor can handle it ofcourse) I own the Turbo-diesel version with a inboard 40 gallon tank, i generally carry 6 15 gallon fuel canisters on the bow, fully loaded with gear for 3-7 day trips out on the ocean and i have never seen her tubes even touch the water at rest. I even carried 60 gallons in additional fuel on top of my own for two friends who could not carry on their standard aluminum boats! Still no change on how the boat itself sat on the water. These are without a doubt as seaworthy as they get. I often see nasty 12-15ft swells with steep chop in the Gulf of Alaska and with the diesel engine, i can set her at 2500rpms cruising at 12 knots and she never leaves the water without ever powering down. This is what i meant by the advantage of having a Heavy Inboard diesel powered rib.

All of the hurricanes that i have personally seen are constructed in the same manner, the 733 is my favorite however. I am looking to get my hands on the Hurricane 1000 one day. I have absolutely no flaws to list of this rib, other than wishing my 733 had a more powerful engine in it, maybe i will repower if she blows on me one day haha.

Been in some nasty sees on the the hurricane 500 as well having zero problems on any occasions, she is fitted with a 100hp evinride 2 stroke outboard.

As for the Specifications and capabilities. The Hurricane 733's standard Hull Length is actually 22'5" without the Outboard mounting Pod which extends it to 23'9" (7.33 meters) so length is not a huge deal over a 6.30 because your playing with 2 foot of length, not sure about the overall size never seen a 6.30 but any hurricane is capable in my book.

Was pulling the boat out of the water and saw a some scooba divers in a Ribcraft 6.5 and i was absolutely baffled on how small it was compared the the hurricane 733. Ofcourse not as long but wayyy narrower, and the tube diameter seemed half the size of both the hurricane 500 & 733 and less deck room than i would have imagined.

Hurricanes are good ribs man they really are.. hope it was worth the read.

Otis-