Old 04 October 2009, 11:38   #21

Town: mississauga
Boat name: Willard
Make: Sea Force 7M
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D6 conversion
Stoo if thats you in the swim suit........Well maybe time to start working out.
Looks like the depends is full too. Hah.

All good info here folks. I'm enjoying the thread
Old 23 November 2009, 01:07   #22

problem solved...

3 props later..... and some fiddling with the outboard tab.

14.5 inch X 19 Mercury Black Max did the trick. A regular, normal looking aluminium prop. this prop digs in and accelerates well, turns well, ventilation is at a minimum.

A bright sunny day on the lake, no wind, small ripple on the water 10 degrees (50F) Full fuel. Just me onboard.

Wide open 6000 rpm. Was able to trim up to a sweet spot that was quite large and got 48 mph on the speedo. The boat was light up front but not crazy. Any very minor chine wobbles could be steered out of easily.

I don't intend to see these speeds often but its nice to know its available if you need it and have the proper conditions.

Thanks everyone for the helpfull hints.

Dave
Old 23 November 2009, 04:01   #23

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
chine walking

Ah chine walking... a bit unnerving when you are pushing the envelope but a man's got to know his limitations. You might settle it down a lot with a set of fixed or hydraulic trim tabs. Sportabs as they are called are a fixed tab, (should have a range of adjustment) or you could install bennets or lencos. With tabs on the boat you should be able to eliminate the chinewalking by bringing the bow back down when it starts the wobble.
Old 13 January 2010, 02:22   #24

Length: 6m +
Zodiac 590 Chine walking --

Good day Skidoodog.
you asked about 590 hull chine walking yes they can and do if conditions are right.

First is weight, too much weight in the stern makes the boat flighty and one has to find the right bow to stern weight distribution for the sea conditions.

Side to side weight is also important try to keep the weight centered so the boat does not have to lift one side because it will drop eventually when say--a wave hits the opposite side.

This brings up the prior comment by a poster about hull pressure, make sure the tubes are TIGHT. Go get a Zodiac pressure gauge and use it before you go out make sure those tubes are up to pressure.

Now the real quality to stopping chine walking is steering after all the above is worked out.

Please do not take any offense at the comments I am going to make. I do not know how much higher speed RIB driving experience you have you could have a lot in a smaller slower boat or a lot but in a heavier slower boat I do not know --this might be your first fast RIB?

So----- steering-----

At a higher speed in all lighter boats the steering becomes part yaw control (roll control) and part heading controller.

You will notice this and probably already have --where at the higher speeds above 50 mph lets say, you will notice if you notice the starboard side dropping you turn the wheel slightly and quickly to the port and the starboard lifts.

Same for the port drop turn the wheel to the starboard and the port side will lift. If you continue to turn the wheel it will stop being a roll control and will become your directional heaading control.

The faster you go your wheel will have about six to eight inches of travel each side of center where it can be considered roll control not heading control.

I don't have to tell anyone here that to make large heding changes at speed we all ease back on the throttle until heading direction has been established where apon throttle can again be --floored.

The 590 is an awesome boat but it was designed as an inshore vessel and we all want it to perform in higher sea states and wigher wind speeds. all boats have their limits the 590's into a head wind is about a 40 knot wind where a lot of power has to be used to keep the boat into the wind if the sea height is over five feet in height.

I have driven 590's since 1982.
The one that is my favourite has a 220 Laser with a Mercury marine engine jack and a high rake 23" pitch prop the gear ratio is 1.87.

I have approached speeds somewhere in the 73 mph range.
I have been told by --bystanders-on a dock that the gear wine at that gear case height was "most impressive".

The fuel injected 220 hp laser for the weight to power ratio on a 590 was one of the most enjoyable rides ever in a smaller boat (under 6m)

So - practice using the wheel as a roll control at speed. Start around 48, work up until you feel you are fast enough to control the boat at speed and you have to be fast in some circumstances.

How do I know this----
I started Zodiac North American boats in 1982, starting Zodiac of France on a road they have never looked back-on.

And no-- you will not find me in the Zodiac history on their website. Ashamed to admit it I suppose?

Good luck on your driving a fine boat have a great time.
Regards
Terry in Victoria
Old 13 January 2010, 22:32   #25

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryinvictoria View Post
How do I know this----
I started Zodiac North American boats in 1982, starting Zodiac of France on a road they have never looked back-on.
Terry, welcome to Rib.net. I own a 590 as well and they are awesome boats indeed. I was interested to read your comment about being involved with Zodiac in the early days. My first RIB was a Zodiac Mark III Rigid Hull. I understood that it was built by Zodiac in Canada when they bought a hull from Hurricane at a time when Hurricane built some other type of boat altogether. There's some pictures of my old boat here: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...&highlight=ice when I was using it as an icebreaker.

If you know anything about the old girl, I'd love to hear it. It was a great little boat, and is still in operation as far as I know.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 22:51   #26

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryinvictoria View Post
I have driven 590's since 1982.
The one that is my favourite has a 220 Laser with a Mercury marine engine jack and a high rake 23" pitch prop the gear ratio is 1.87.

I have approached speeds somewhere in the 73 mph range.
Hmmmmm. In the days before gps speedos?

H
Old 14 January 2010, 03:22   #27

590 chine walk con't.

terryinvctoria,

Thanks for the advice terry.

an aside:

Had a great time at the boat show in Toronto. Inland inflatables had their usuall great booth selling mustang gear and the latest Huricane products. Mike and Scott are great sources of ecouragement and advice. They clearly love what they do. (Sorry for the shamless plug but they have been a great help to me and I just can't help it)

You are right in guessing my experience level. While not the most powerful boat I own the 590 with the 150 Yamaha has the best power to weight and is the most demanding at high speed that is for sure. Really confidence inspiering to drive at anything but hyper speeds.

As for tube pressure.... I inflate them to their blow off point at home with an electric air pump, launch, then do my best to reach blow off again once I hit the cold water. A bit of a task. It's should be very close to 3.5 PSI.
You are right, I need to check the pressure and may need to renew my 1993 pressure relief valves. They may be getting tired but the tubes are very taught.

I have tried your steering technique a bit.... I get it but I need practice to be consistant particularly when it starts to get choppy. (almost all the time on the great lakes)

Spring is coming and the list of improvements to the 590 is long..... gps plotter/radio/spot light/fuel flow meter/ long range fuel. I must get cracking on these projects.

Terry, you are a braver man than me if you have seen 70+ mph in a 590............on the other hand .........I guess........... I just need more power !!!!! Hahh !!!

Cheers All,

Dave Alton
the "skidoodog"