Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
- and back off a little.
Pwaw... Where's the fun in that?

Seriously though, these boats are a bit like dump trucks in that are designed to carry a lot of stuff. The problem is that when you don't have a lot of stuff in them, they are very light compared to the horsies hanging on the back.

I usually have so much stuff in mine, that chine walking isn't a huge issue, but I can see getting tossed out of the boat if you aren't careful!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 17:22   #12

Town: mississauga
Boat name: Willard
Make: Sea Force 7M
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cumins 6BT-m 210hp
Yes indeed..... I have a small label next to my speedo that says simply "go Faster".

Life is short so why waste time?

Am off the water for a week while the custom cover gets fitted... Have to look after the investment.

Stoo, Another question....

I'm tidying up details now. I'm looking to insure this boat and the couple of names I pulled of the net won't or cant insure this boat. Any hints ?

Cheers,

Dave

Old 28 September 2009, 19:12   #13

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoodog View Post
I'm looking to insure this boat...
Funny you should ask... You might find this thread of interest...

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ight=insurance

I insure my stuff (two houses, three cars, and the boat) all with State Farm. They have been really good about it all along... just be aware of the liability issues I mention in the other thread.

If you want the name of the actual agent I use, PM me and I would be happy to pass it along. He's just the other side of Hamilton, so not far from you...

S

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 28 September 2009, 20:56   #14

Town: mississauga
Boat name: Willard
Make: Sea Force 7M
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cumins 6BT-m 210hp
Thanks Stoo,

Thats exacly the advice I needed. I will follow up tomorow.

Cheers, Dave
Old 28 September 2009, 21:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoodog View Post
I have a small label next to my speedo that says simply "go Faster".
Please clarify if you are talking about the gauge on your boat or your bathing suit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f3c71_ORIG-OLD_MAN_SPEEDO.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	46129  

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 30 September 2009, 08:43   #16

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
This is really your problem. The boat is too light for the speeds you are trying to achieve and you are planning "too much". Flying leads to chine walking since there isn't enough boat in the water to resist slight lateral deviations.

Trim the motor down or lower it to put more boat/skeg in the water - and back off a little.
I 100% diagree.

I have a Bombard Explorer 6m with a Yamy 2 stroke 150 and the boat does have a 5" pad on the hull by the way. I'm originally from the fast boat world so my setup may be different from most here.

Prop dia. , cup, rake and shape will have a huge impact on your boats handling. 15" dia. on a 150 is pretty big for your setup and weight and guys with dual 300 Merc outboards on Skater hulls boats use between 14.5 to 15 inch dia. props, I'll bet you that's a major problem right there. Everyone I know who's strictly into recreational boating kept telling me a cleaver prop doesn't work on a rib and can't jack up the motor. I got one last year a 21" pitch but it was a 14-1/4" dia. and my LU is the small 4" so didn't clear the cavitation plate. I got it cut down to 13-7/8 and it chine walked like crazy no matter how I trimmed. Basicly it was too much prop, so off to my prop guy to cut it down again and shape. Got it back on the water and wow now we had something going pretty good but not 100%. I jacked up the motor to the top which gives me 3" below the pad (prop shaft / pad). Now I go up on plane in 1-1/2 boat lenghts alone or about 2 boat lenghts with 3 people. Top speed is 55 mpg so far on GPS but then I'm reving near or slightly above the limiter which is disconnected. The boat will chine walk a little which is normal with a V hull but once I get it up on the pad it ride on it like on a rail and tubes in the rear out the water.

If you could snap a pic of the hull from behind and post it might be of help too.
Old 30 September 2009, 18:23   #17

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
I 100% diagree.

I have a Bombard Explorer 6m with a Yamy 2 stroke 150 and the boat does have a 5" pad on the hull by the way. I'm originally from the fast boat world so my setup may be different from most here.

Prop dia. , cup, rake and shape will have a huge impact on your boats handling. 15" dia. on a 150 is pretty big for your setup and weight and guys with dual 300 Merc outboards on Skater hulls boats use between 14.5 to 15 inch dia. props, I'll bet you that's a major problem right there. Everyone I know who's strictly into recreational boating kept telling me a cleaver prop doesn't work on a rib and can't jack up the motor. I got one last year a 21" pitch but it was a 14-1/4" dia. and my LU is the small 4" so didn't clear the cavitation plate. I got it cut down to 13-7/8 and it chine walked like crazy no matter how I trimmed. Basicly it was too much prop, so off to my prop guy to cut it down again and shape. Got it back on the water and wow now we had something going pretty good but not 100%. I jacked up the motor to the top which gives me 3" below the pad (prop shaft / pad). Now I go up on plane in 1-1/2 boat lenghts alone or about 2 boat lenghts with 3 people. Top speed is 55 mpg so far on GPS but then I'm reving near or slightly above the limiter which is disconnected. The boat will chine walk a little which is normal with a V hull but once I get it up on the pad it ride on it like on a rail and tubes in the rear out the water.

If you could snap a pic of the hull from behind and post it might be of help too.
Sure and that super cupped prop on a raised o/b is going to have a lousy hole shot when the boat is fully loaded. Its going to slip and cativate like mad and generally suck. And running on the pad in any kind of seas will slam you out of the boat.

Most of us don't buy RIBs in lieu of a hydroplane.
Old 30 September 2009, 19:41   #18

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
Sure and that super cupped prop on a raised o/b is going to have a lousy hole shot when the boat is fully loaded. Its going to slip and cativate like mad and generally suck. And running on the pad in any kind of seas will slam you out of the boat.

Most of us don't buy RIBs in lieu of a hydroplane.
Cleaver props are not super cupped they have stern lift but any SS prop can be fine tuned by a prop shop you just have to let him know the details. Hydroplanes don't have a running pad.

I didn't say to set up like me and I mentioned his chine walking most likely has to do with the prop size and type. I'll let you help him out, I'll just go along now.

Cheers
John
Old 03 October 2009, 20:01   #19

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str

This has been a great thread with alot of useful info so far, hopefully that info will continue to flow even if there are different viewpoints.
Old 03 October 2009, 20:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post

This has been a great thread with alot of useful info so far, hopefully that info will continue to flow even if there are different viewpoints.
Speaking of SIBS... I remember my little Futura GT with a 40 on the back... No chine walk, but that puppy had about 1 square inch in the water when it was cracked open. It was more like straddling a missile! I miss that little boat sometimes (especially at the fuel pump...)

www.wetspotimages.com