Old 15 September 2012, 01:57   #1

Town: Hidden Valley Lake
Boat name: dino ll
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF25
How to remove old adhesive from PVC

I recently purchased a used Zodiac RIB and would like to remove the old and hard to remove adhesive from failed attempts to glue D-ring kits on the tubes. The material is made of PVC and I havn't been able to find MEK cleaner locally. What else can I use that's effective?
Old 15 September 2012, 03:40   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Mek is available if you really want it. Just no longer at the big box stores in CA. It is the proper solvent and is the best for prep when gluing. Yes, other solvents will work on the glue. Be careful. Acetone ( flashes off way to fast) and abrasion can sometimes get a nice thin dried out glue layer off. Buy an organic vapor cartridge mask and some gloves. Acetone will also work decently for prep, but it just doesn't make the pvc as sticky. If you really have failed prior bonding attempts, well, that sucks. It can be a pain. I used a web/sponge sort of a abrasive wheel from Dremel to remove the thick nasty layered over bad repair attempt on the boat I bought. More controllable than bigger flap wheels. Glue doesn't stick to old glue so you have to do whatever it takes! I have not had much luck using heat on old glue. It definitely works on more recently applied glue. Post up a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glue2.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	72214   Click image for larger version

Name:	glue1.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	72215  
Old 15 September 2012, 04:57   #3

Town: Hidden Valley Lake
Boat name: dino ll
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda BF25
Thanks kelson for your help, looks like the overall consensus is MEK as the go to cleaning solvent to do this project right. Guess I'll have to order it or shop further away.
Old 17 September 2012, 01:21   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Hidden Valley as in Middle Town area? If so that is where my boat came from. I live in Santa Rosa.

What year is your boat out of curiosity?

I have a different way of cleaning off old glue than Kelson. I use scuffy pad, and acetone. Putting the acetone in a small container, and dipping the scuffy pad often, keeps it plenty wet. The scuffy pad absorbs the glue and needs to be changed often. Plus what I read was to use acetone for cleaning and MEK for prepping to glue.

MEK can sometimes be found at auto paint stores, along with other paint stores. If you can find a gallon buy it...maybe two as it won't be available for long. Tap Plastics might be an option.
Old 09 January 2013, 15:19   #5

Town: PEI
Boat name: Noah's Arch
Make: Novurania
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 HP
NRS has MEK and they have all stores all over North America
and they have other interesting stuff as well like glues patches and accessories though i know that MEK only used for preparation not for removing old glue as its too strong and will soften and melt the PVC and can damage the outer layer try the scuffy pad with acetone works as well as the MEK but way lighter on the material
PS both MEK and acetone melts the PVC material

MEK PVC Solvant at NRSweb.com
Old 09 January 2013, 15:39   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Funny; I've mail-ordered stuff from NRS for years, and never once thought about seeing if they have actual locations other than their HQ.

I use MEK and a Dremel with a flap wheel, but it's a pretty aggressive method; you have to use a light touch and really watch what you're doing.

jky
Old 09 January 2013, 20:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Funny; I've mail-ordered stuff from NRS for years, and never once thought about seeing if they have actual locations other than their HQ.
I looked up my local store for NRS, and although they sell a few kayaks etc. they are much like REI (Which is also listed), and would only carry a few NRS bags and stuff like that. Not the stuff to repair boats, or upgrade equipment. Although what small boat doesn't need a paddle? I bought two! Then using material and glue purchased directly from NRS made mounts for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I use MEK and a Dremel with a flap wheel, but it's a pretty aggressive method; you have to use a light touch and really watch what you're doing.

jky
Give some course scuffy pad a try next time. You can get it at Home Depot and Lowes. It works great, and yes I have tried an air pencil grinder (I don't ever really use my Dremel). The glue gets caught in the weave, so it doesn't get spread around as much, and pretty much no material gets removed.
Old 09 January 2013, 20:09   #8

Town: PEI
Boat name: Noah's Arch
Make: Novurania
Engine: 115 HP
just wondering what to use to remove old glue from Hypalon MEK as well or toluol
Old 06 July 2013, 00:34   #9

Town: Winnipeg
Make: Zodiac Futura Mark 3
Engine: 40Hp Yammy 4stroke
I just purchased a used Futura Mark 3 that had a small leak on the seam of one of the speed tubes and was reading here and elsewhere to learn how to do a proper patch. I think its gonna hold even though it is on the seam.

What I wanted to share is PVC pipe primer like Weld-on P68 primer is a combination of acetone and MEK. I used it and it softens the pvc very well to prep. This should be easy for everyone to find in the hardware store as sourcing pure MEK seems to be a problem. The brush that comes in the primer can is excellent for spreading the primer too
Old 10 July 2014, 20:46   #10

Town: Ibiza
Boat name: Little Rascal
Make: Yam inflatables
Engine: Yammy 20hp 2 stroke
I know this thread is old, but just wanted to say I have been in desperate need to repair the transom on my old yam400s. Where I live in Spain no one has even heard of MEK! Then there might be the translation problem also.

I tried acetone, and while it worked, it just wasn't really cutting it. Felt a bit stuck til I came across the advice mentioned here about PVC pipe primer. That did the trick and worked much better than the acetone!

The humidity is too high now, so I'm going to attempt the glue tomorrow, when its drier. Just hope it all goes well and I get my boat back into the med!

Cheers for the top tip.
Old 10 July 2014, 21:24   #11

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxphill View Post
I know this thread is old, but just wanted to say I have been in desperate need to repair the transom on my old yam400s. Where I live in Spain no one has even heard of MEK! Then there might be the translation problem also.

I tried acetone, and while it worked, it just wasn't really cutting it. Felt a bit stuck til I came across the advice mentioned here about PVC pipe primer. That did the trick and worked much better than the acetone!

The humidity is too high now, so I'm going to attempt the glue tomorrow, when its drier. Just hope it all goes well and I get my boat back into the med!

Cheers for the top tip.
Think you are talking about the same thing!
MEK
"Methyl ethyl ketone (butanone), a solvent, used also to weld some plastics"
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 10:34   #12

Removing old adhesive from PVC Rib

Hi all,

I recently got a Highfield PVC rib which had two slits - one on the underside of each tube at the stern.

I removed the old patches using a hairdryer as they were starting to leak. I'm currently trying to remove the old adhesive (without success) so I can apply new adhesive and hence a new patch.

I have tried using Acetone, sandpaper and dremel all without much success. The Acetone doesnt seem to do much at all, the sandpaper only deposits the dust from the sandpaper and bonds to the old adhesive and the dremel cuts too deep into the PVC and I'm afraid of damaging the boat. The most effective method seems to be when I heat the glue and then scrape it off with my finger nail although this is very tedious.

Does anyone have any tips for removing the old adhesive and/or advise on whether heating up the boat to remove the glue can cause damage to the boat?

Many thanks.
Old 25 August 2020, 14:37   #13

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
I dont have A huge amount to offer in that there is no secret product or short cut. MEK is best for softening, but it won’t dissolve. I tried one of the glue removal brushes and that just damages the material rather removing glue.
Old 25 August 2020, 17:16   #14

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I had loads to remove a couple of years back on a SIB that I had to re-glue. I found the only thing was acetone on a coarse weave cloth and loads of effort... time and effort on small areas seemed out of all proportion to the actual amount cleaned. Badly applied glue a few years old was loads worse to remove than the original glue at 15yrs old.
Old 26 August 2020, 18:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasherRyan View Post
I recently got a Highfield PVC rib which had two slits - one on the underside of each tube at the stern.
How large are these slits? If over a few centimeters or so they should be patched on the inside before putting a patch on the outside.

I have found scuffy pad and acetone to work excellent for glue removal without removing material. Keep the glue soaking to soften it while cleaning other areas.
Old 26 August 2020, 23:50   #16

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Methylene chloride
Let sit for 5-10 min
Scrape with a blunt metal putty knife
Repeat as needed
Neutralize with soap and water when complete
Old 03 October 2021, 03:09   #17