Old 02 September 2007, 23:32   #1

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Hot Water, Act II

Hurricane Felix passed well South of here, further South than Dean. I was on a beach on South Shore though this morning and there were ten to twelve foot breaking seas.

THE MINIMUM PRESSURE IS ESTIMATED TO BE 956 MB. THIS CORRESPONDS TO A FALL IN CENTRAL PRESSURE AT A RATE OF 3.4 MB PER HOUR OVER THE PAST 7 HOURS OR SO...WHICH IS ONE OF THE MORE RAPID DEEPENING RATES WE HAVE OBSERVED.

That was cut from the Hurricane Center 2100 Zulu Discussion. They further said that the storm was going to enter a large warm water eddy later tonight and Catagory 5/6 looks possible soon. Current surface wind has been measured as high as 153 Mph. It appears it will pass South of Jamaica and the Caymans but could likely do a direct hit in Belize before crossing the Yucutan and entering the Gulf of Mexico.

Two Catagory 5's in a row early in the season is significant. Global Warming, who me? Our ocean surface temperatures are warmer now than at any period of recorded measurement. Too rough to leave the harbor but I've been busy installing aluminum storm panel systems more correctly spelled $ystem$. The potential for very bad weather has people's attention here!
Old 03 September 2007, 00:51   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Time to build underground I reckon!!!
Old 03 September 2007, 02:34   #3

Yeah, it just might be time to burrow in!

The Hurricane Hunter Aircraft are based here and they flew into the storm at around 7:00PM AST and measured a gust at 195 mph. The turbulance was so extreme they had to abort the mission and return to Stx. for some "repairs".

They fly Hercules aircraft btw, Herky Birds, and they are one very tough aircraft. I would imagine there are also some flight suits headed for the laundry from the last mission!
Old 03 September 2007, 13:19   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I remember flying in an old DC3 Dakota that had been used for these hurricane patrols in a past life. You could see every rivet rattling in the wings and the creaks and groans were amazing. Then again compared to the other aircraft they had in Africa it was one of the better ones............
Old 03 September 2007, 17:34   #5

Codders,

There are a number of DC3's still in service here, as freightliners. I love to hear them departing St. Croix as they pass over my house at about a thousand feet. It's like the difference between listening to a Harley Davidson 1200 cc and a 2 Stroke Dirt Bike between them and the turboprops.

4 Star, one of the freight haulers that has them also has a couple of Convair 240's with the original radial piston engines. I was going down airport road one morning and became shrouded in a cloud of white smoke coming from an aircraft near 4 Star's warehouse. I swear I couldn't see the road passing through the cloud for a few seconds. My buddy Rocky who does avionics locally and works on them told me that when first cranked, the clearances are so loose they burn gallons of oil until they come up to temp and things tighten up.

Ever hear the term, "A wing and a prayer".

When I embark on the 30+ mile crossing to St. Thomas/St. John with my 50 Johnson on the 4.7 SR I take comfort knowing airplane drivers fly these 1945 - 1950 airframe/enginge combos all over the place. The most extreme of these flight ops are guys who fly through passes in the Andes in South America with vintage aircraft. Forget the peaks, the passes approach max altitude .

Tomas
Old 03 September 2007, 17:55   #6

Local Heroes

http://www.403wg.afrc.af.mil/news/st...p?id=123065026

Frick Homeland Security, this is what I call a military risking life and wing for the well being of people throughout the region.

I occasionally spill an lager with these folks and their flight operations are not "routine".

Tomas