Old 12 March 2006, 19:29   #11

Town: Venice
Make: zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo I/O diesel
Well, as far as price goes, the current owner wants a boat that I just happen to have. We are going to swap even up. I run my towing business currently with 5 Shamrock, keel drive inboards. I decided I was going to sell my 20' Open center console model. It is an older boat and has been recently repowered. I have made a decsion I want boats that are more enclosed, due to the amount of time I spend out in bad weather. I mentioned this to another business owner I know, and he said he wanted another Shamrock for his business. I wasn't really inthe market for a RIB. Even though I consider them an excellent craft for what I do, I just never assumed I would be able to afford one. I do not have that much money tied up in my boat, so even if the Hurricane needs new tubes, I should be OK. It is still a center console so I have gained nothing as far as protection from the elements, but I will be getting a much different (hopefully better) boat.

Don

Old 14 March 2006, 12:22   #12

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Hello Capt Don,

We are a Vessel Assist opperator in California and use both inboard diesel fiberglass boats and RIBs. We have a 30 ft twin diesel, ex-military Nautica RIB and recently purchased a 7.8M Ribcraft with twin outboards. There are pros and cons to RIBs in our line of work but properly set up for the intened use I think they are great boat.

Depending on your intended usage, I don't know if I would go with the set-up you are considering. Feel free to call us and I will gladly share what we have learned and what is working for us. 805-644-2762.

Good luck,
Capts Paul and Beverly

Old 14 March 2006, 20:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelwatch
Hello Capt Don,

We are a Vessel Assist opperator in California and use both inboard diesel fiberglass boats and RIBs. We have a 30 ft twin diesel, ex-military Nautica RIB and recently purchased a 7.8M Ribcraft with twin outboards. There are pros and cons to RIBs in our line of work but properly set up for the intened use I think they are great boat.

Depending on your intended usage, I don't know if I would go with the set-up you are considering. Feel free to call us and I will gladly share what we have learned and what is working for us. 805-644-2762.

Good luck,
Capts Paul and Beverly
Thanks for the reply,

I used to be a Vessel Assist vendor myself, but lost out in the change over to BoatUS here on the east coast.
The boat I am getting is already being used for assistance towing, but the vendor has issues with it getting into shallow water, which we have a lot of. I plan on moving to an area where water depth is not an issue, otherwise I would not even consider a stern drive unit.

The current owner told me today there is a leak in a tube at a seam where the tube narrows to a point. I would assume I will have to have the Zodiac repair center fix it, due to the location. This boat also has a push knee installed. That should come in handy.

I'll give you a call maybe tomorrow.

Thanks,

Don
Old 25 March 2006, 14:38   #14

Well, took delivery of the boat today. It ends up it is a 1993 Zodiac Hurricane previously owned by the US Navy. The Volvo is indeed a AD31 DP. I need to get the propeller thing figured out, and I also need to figure out which version of this engine this boat has. Any ideas. I would assume it is the "special light duty" version of he engine, as it was originally a military spec boat. That would mean the engine is the 150 HP version. Anyone know how to tell which engine it actually is?

Don
Old 10 April 2006, 11:57   #15

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SITH LORD
Make: ZODIAC HURRICANE
Length: 6m +
Engine: INBOARD DIESEL VOVLO
Hi, from Greece.

I have a similar boat as the one you have mentioned. 1992 , ZODIAC HURRICANE 640.
It is equiped with a VOLVO PENTA AD31B, which is 130Hp. It is has not a DUO PROP system. Single Prop it is. Max speed is around 28 knts at 3600 rpm. Consumption is more or less 1 liter per mile.
I have looked a lot myself trying to figure out which version my engine is, but saddly with no results.
But having said that, all the engines i came through were at the same Horse power. 130.