Old 21 May 2013, 21:46   #1

Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Fuel consumption and tank size questions

I recently purchased a Zodiac FC-470 and I am new to boats. In general terms, what kind of fuel consumption can I expect from a 2-stroke versus a 4-stroke? Also what tank size in usually recommended? I am trying to decide between a 6 gallon tank and an 18 gallon tank and i would like to know advantages and disadvantages of each.

Old 22 May 2013, 03:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
There's a lot of variables there.

What size motor? What AGE motor?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 09:02   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Other thing to be very aware of when reading replies - Nautical vs Statute miles and UK vs US Gallons. (At least Litres & KM are such a different name it's obvious the numbers are different!)

To expand on Nos' question -

2/4 stroke is one thing, but how you use the engine will give a much varied consumption for any pair of engines you might be comparing.

For example - if you blast out for 10 mins, drop an anchor and spend the day fishing, you'll use next to nothing. and you could use a 1958 engine with planet destroying emmissions and still see no perceptible difference in consumption.

Next stage - you blast out to your favourte bay & start trolling. That is where the difference between 2 & 4 stroke will be most obvious. Old engines throw way too much fuel in at low RPM - it;s the nature of the beast. (Also don't forget that new DI 2- strokes are up there with the 4- strokes in the consumption world at low RPM)

If you head out & spend the day razzing up & down at wide open throttle, the 2/4 difference will be negligible. Yes, there wil lbe a small difference, but real world unless you are out all day every day I doubt it will make a big difference to the dent in your wallet.

Now, you have a Zodiac 470. I guess thatls 4.7m long, so on a par with mine. If you do a search for "fuel consumption", you'll find on a rolling average most ribs will do about 1L/mile. Mine clocks 0.83L/ Nautical mile on a 20/22Knot cruise, bizarrely regardless of sea state. I did one trip down a canal (Falkirk Wheel 10th Anniversary - I was the only RIb at the event!) - 14 miles at 4 (statute)mph and I was chiselling the soot off the plugs when I got home. 2 L/nautical mile recorded.

If nothing else it's a snapshot to show that a premix 2-stroke of 60s design is actually more efficient at speed & Illustrates Nos' point!
Old 22 May 2013, 11:40   #4

Town: Leesburg
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard 40
I have a Zodiac 470 Pro II with a Yamaha 40 4 stroke. I have gotten ~10mpg with 2 adults on smooth water at about 18mph (~3600-4000rpm). My 6 gallon tank will give 60 miles range which is plenty for us. (Yes, I was surprised by that, 30 miles down river and 30 miles back.)

I usually take a 6 gallon main tank and a 3 gallon reserve when we go out. In the way we use the boat I have never had to use the reserve for that purpose. (I occasionally use the reserve tank to burn off the older gas.)

Having an 18 gallon tank would take up a fair amount of space. Also a full 18 gallon (US) tank will weigh about 115 pounds (just for the gas). This can be hard to move around.
Old 22 May 2013, 12:57   #5

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
FYI you can get 3, 9 and 12 (US) gallon tanks too.
Old 22 May 2013, 13:34   #6

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'm a European living in the US so yes I'm very familiar with the difference between gallons, miles, etc.

I'm planning a trip this year with a fully loaded boat (4-6 people plus gear) and I want to make sure I don't run out of gas.

I'm planning on getting the Zodiac Milpro fuel bladders. Does anyone have experience with them? I is possible to get two 6 gallon bladders and connect them so that they can be used individually? It seems that would be a better way to go over the really large 18 gallon bow bladder. I'm concerned about storing that much fuel in one place.

I haven't purchased an engine yet but I have access to a 10 HP 4-stroke Evinrude engine until I figure out my needs and preferences. In the spirit of keeping the boat original I am also looking at a 2-stroke 35hp Johnson Durajet engine but the only concern I have there is the emissions of the 2-stroke.
Old 22 May 2013, 14:50   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Four to SIX!?? People.. +Pluss Thier Gear+ Pluss On deck Fuel Bladders!?
Not wishing to Pour Cold Water on your Plans but seems like ALOT of Loading for a Zodiac of that Size!!..Mine seldom went out with more than 3..and then was'nt exactly ''Spacious''.
Anywhere Near That!....I'd make sure it was Plenty Flaaat

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 15:18   #8

Probably 3-4 people with gear and make two trips to/from the destination then ( = more gas needed).
Old 22 May 2013, 16:03   #9

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
As far as I can tell you can't find gasoline fuel bladders in this country. Only diesel ones and they are stupid expensive. I don't think the gas ones are approved fuel containers here. 18 gal is a shiit-load of fuel for a 10hp. Heck its 3x+ as much as most 35hp 2 strokes might carry around.

You mention all the people, but no mention of how far this trip might be...
Old 22 May 2013, 17:17   #10

I will check with the inflatable boat store on this. To my knowledge MilPro gas bladders of various sizes are available from Zodiac.

I need to plot out the trip on a map or software. Does anyone have a recommendation for how to do this? is there an app for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
As far as I can tell you can't find gasoline fuel bladders in this country. Only diesel ones and they are stupid expensive. I don't think the gas ones are approved fuel containers here. 18 gal is a shiit-load of fuel for a 10hp. Heck its 3x+ as much as most 35hp 2 strokes might carry around.

You mention all the people, but no mention of how far this trip might be...