Old 18 August 2013, 23:22   #101

Town: Vancouver, WA
Make: Zodiac FC470
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha
Great to hear! I thing you will appreciate having the 35 hp over a lower hp motor. Is it a tiller motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F470 View Post
Well I bought it. $575 for a 1980 Johnson 35hp. Looks in good shape but I have yet to test it. The distance from inside of transom mount to bottom of cavity plate is 17.5".
Old 19 August 2013, 04:57   #102

Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Yep it's a tiller.
Old 19 August 2013, 05:04   #103

Awesome! My 35 hp Evinrude powers my 470 well, so you should be happy with your new motor...

Quote:
Yep it's a tiller.
Old 19 August 2013, 05:42   #104

Town: Portland, OR
Make: Zodiac F470
Engine: Suzuki DF25EL
Awesome. Got to get it wet now.
Old 19 August 2013, 14:00   #105

Who do you recommend for outboard service in Portland? I want to have it looked at before my test run this weekend.
Old 19 August 2013, 14:07   #106

I know of a couple shops in Vancouver, but I've never personally had my outboard serviced. I just brought my motor home, and hit the water...

Quote:
Who do you recommend for outboard service in Portland? I want to have it looked at before my test run this weekend.
Old 19 August 2013, 14:20   #107

Same here once I got boat on trailer with neighbors help I hoisted it right up, tested with earmuffs, hit the water next day. I'd test it out right now. to see if it all works. Hook up a hose first see if water comes out of right holes, replace gearbox oil, mix some gas/oil, and go for it in a bucket or with muffs.
You might be hard pressed on time if you take it to shop, somebody go over it, take it back, etc Although it might be good idea to replace impeller on older motor. Do you have any history on it? Let me know it you need help hoisting it or something. Mine was a bugger at 170 lbs.
Old 19 August 2013, 15:29   #108

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
I'm very curious to know how it goes with cav plate 1 inch above bottom of transom. I don't mean to temper your enthusiasm over a new motor, but I predict cavitation/ventilation issues.
Old 19 August 2013, 16:10   #109

I think its going to be border line. Wish you could find extra 1/2". What really bugs is that manufacturers not publishing actual dimensions. Like it has to be big secret or something. Such a vital parameter yet one has to go around with tape measure.

Makes me curious if short shaft e-tec is actually 18" just about perfect for our boats.
Old 19 August 2013, 16:31   #110

St John's Marine Center - North Portland - Portland, OR

Quote:
Old 19 August 2013, 20:27   #111

F470,

Here is a local deal on an E-Tec for you! Looks like you'd just need to buy an engine cowl...

2006 ETEC 40 HP

Quote:
It sold

I'd consider it but I am leaving in 7 days so too much of a project for now. I have yet to finish trailer, wire up new lighting for it.

I just need to get something temporary for the trip that I can try out then sell when I find the long term solution. E-tec hopefully.
Old 19 August 2013, 20:45   #112

If able to source those cheap then it would work but new that's about $1500 for 1 top and 2 bottom covers + some misc items. When I visited IBC awhile back Had few engines in shop including one practically new 2011 40hp e-tec. Asked they wanted $4600.
Old 20 August 2013, 02:50   #113

Thanks! I have a call out to a local guy who does visits. I don't even have a stand so I'm going test it when I get to mounted to the boat later in the week. I'm finishing up the bunks on the trailer right now. No history on it. Just the last owners promises. It's a $500 gamble more or less.
Old 20 August 2013, 02:56   #114

I've also been in contact with this guy but seems like a major project: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bar/4002546325.html
Old 20 August 2013, 03:04   #115

Looks great but I don't buy the story that the owner presents in the ad. The boat was hit in the bow so the engine cowl cracked? Similar to the story of the two Johnson's I just posted. Owner claimed both engines fell over, both cowls and both tiller arms broke so he threw them away. I guess I'm just generally suspicious of all things craigslist. Thanks for the link and I really appreciate the enthusiasm to help me find a motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
F470,

Here is a local deal on an E-Tec for you! Looks like you'd just need to buy an engine cowl...

2006 ETEC 40 HP
Old 22 August 2013, 06:44   #116

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Well I bought it. $575 for a 1980 Johnson 35hp. Looks in good shape but I have yet to test it. The distance from inside of transom mount to bottom of cavity plate is 17.5".
Not too small not too big.

If you have a boat, you really don't need a big Johnson.
Old 22 August 2013, 15:40   #117

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
A go-fast boat makes up for a small Johnson (reputedly...)

jky
Old 02 September 2013, 05:40   #118

Maiden voyage complete! I just got back from a week in the San Juan Islands. The short shaft is indeed too short and will not work long term but it was sufficient for this trip. It would take a while to plane and it would "loose traction" occasionally when attempting to speed up to plane. Also splattered quite a bit. I'm definitely going for a newer 40+ long shaft e-tec. We almost got stranded on an island when the little plastic "trigger" that engages the flywheel started slipping and I could not pull start (Next item on the must have list is an emergency pull cord!). Luckily a fellow boater had one so we were able to limp back to shore. Otherwise a successful and fun trip. I love this boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040052.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	84926  
Old 02 September 2013, 06:07   #119

Great to hear the trip went well! You hadn't posted in a little while, so I figured you were either still on your trip or you wer adrift at sea!

Does your 35 hp Johnson run well, despite the wrong length of shaft? In the rested in selling it when yo fin a long shaft for your boat? Let me know...

Quote:
Maiden voyage complete! I just got back from a week in the San Juan Islands. The short shaft is indeed too short and will not work long term but it was sufficient for this trip. It would take a while to plane and it would "loose traction" occasionally when attempting to speed up to plane. Also splattered quite a bit. I'm definitely going for a newer 40+ long shaft e-tec. We almost got stranded on an island when the little plastic "trigger" that engages the flywheel started slipping and I could not pull start (Next item on the must have list is an emergency pull cord!). Luckily a fellow boater had one so we were able to limp back to shore. Otherwise a successful and fun trip. I love this boat!
Old 02 September 2013, 06:14   #120

It ran very well but probably needs a tune up. It seemed the happiest at full throttle. The biggest issue with it being too short was that it would occasionally loose traction as you speed up because there would not be enough water around the prop so it would rev higher but once I got it planing it was fine.

It looks very good under the hood (no rust). I changed spark plugs before we left and that's about it. I noticed that the adjustment pin on the transom mount is missing. Also need to replace the little plastic engagement trigger on the flywheel or it won't pull start. Where do you get parts for an old engine like this? Are they still available new? I'd be happy to sell it to you once I find a replacement.