Old 01 March 2007, 02:36   #1

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
engine bracket

On my rig I’m running the twin 90's and my transom is only bout 3" out of the water would adding a transom bracket make my situation better or worst? I can see it going either way depending on the buoyancy of the bracket. Pathalla did the war machine come with one or did you add it? What has been the experience of people who have used them? What is the max extension you would putt on a 6.5M Mako.
Old 01 March 2007, 03:09   #2

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Outboard bracket, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144 View Post
On my rig I’m running the twin 90's and my transom is only bout 3" out of the water would adding a transom bracket make my situation better or worst? I can see it going either way depending on the buoyancy of the bracket. Pathalla did the war machine come with one or did you add it? What has been the experience of people who have used them? What is the max extension you would putt on a 6.5M Mako.
Most brackets will add some buoyancy to the boat because they are designed to be watertight, generally the boat will sit a little lower at the stern due to the bracket extending past your tube set. This does not usually create a problem, especially so with a rib, brackets are common on glass boats. In your case I would think a outboard bracket would overall increase your freeboard as your floatation should increase relative to your hull displacement. This all depends on the bracket you buy or fabricate. A manufacturer can give you more accurate information than me. Generally offsets don't extend much past about 30 inches max. You can buy brackets as short as 12 inches or have a custom length built. Companies such as Stainless marine and Gil build them. They are made both for single engine powered boats as well as twins. I think they are a definite improvement to a boat, they add space, hull length, and move noise further back amongst other things. One other claim is that the props run in cleaner water, that is to say that there is less air in the water behind the hull due to less turbulence so your props have more bite. I don't know if that is actually true but manufacturers make that claim. I will put up a few pics of our fabrication. One thing not to forget, this will generally necessitate changing shift/throttle cables because of addtional length. Fuel lines will also need to be lengthened. Ditto for steering cables or hoses. Most outboard manufacturers usually have enough length in a factory wiring harness to accomodate a bracket, your should check yours to be certain.
a link to installing a bracket http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?op...&task=view&id=
seems the link does not come up immediately, open diy projects, check under the mechanical upgrades and you will find it. If you are thinking about this do your homework, make sure you have all your measurements right! When we installed the bracket on my boat I had never put it in the water up to that point, we measured many times and then WELDED it on the transom, no room for error when it is welded to the hull! It came out perfect thankfully...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2257.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2263.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	25240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2265.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	25241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn1950JPEG.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	25242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0006JPEG.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	25243  

Old 01 March 2007, 13:01   #3

re: outboard bracket

screwed up yesterday regarding the link to the outboard bracket, click on the link, then open d.i.y. articles online, after that look under powerboat rigging, it has a helpful article.

One other thing I forgot to add, when you install a bracket you raise your motor for each foot of offset. If I remember correctly it is a inch for every foot of length on the bracket.
Old 01 March 2007, 14:56   #4

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Pathella, I've been looking for a midwest aluminum fabricator to make an outboard bracket for a Zodiac 733 I'm converting from I/O to outboards. The welder I work with locally could do the job but I would need to buy full sheets of saltwater spec aluminum even though I only require a portion....so the cost is high for a one-off bracket. I've been looking for a fabricator who may have the correct inventory in stock and hopefully a lower cost. Do you know anyone who might have the stock and might do the work? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
bryan
Old 02 March 2007, 01:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
Pathella, I've been looking for a midwest aluminum fabricator to make an outboard bracket for a Zodiac 733 I'm converting from I/O to outboards. The welder I work with locally could do the job but I would need to buy full sheets of saltwater spec aluminum even though I only require a portion....so the cost is high for a one-off bracket. I've been looking for a fabricator who may have the correct inventory in stock and hopefully a lower cost. Do you know anyone who might have the stock and might do the work? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
bryan
I checked with my guy who is excellent unfortunately he has his hands full right now with a rehab project. I will check around..
Have you tried Gil marine?
One of the big fabricators can build you a custom, I imagine they would probably have a design for the 733, a common boat.
Old 02 March 2007, 14:09   #6

thanks for the quick and full reply. I checked with Gil, Armstrong and some others a while ago and they either sold only their designs and weren't interested in custom work, or prices were higher than what I can get it done for here. zodiac has provided me with the factory drawings and urged me to stick to their specs based on experience with alternatives, so will go for that rather than another design. I appreciate your help and any further references would be appreciated.
bryan
Old 02 March 2007, 15:27   #7

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Pathalla sorry it took me so long to get back but thanks for the info it took a while for me to get a round to reading all of it.

Sunruder We have several custom boat fab shops up here (Seattle area) most of them are too busy but was able to get quotes for a tank rack from Work Skiff and a couple other I wish I could remember their names and I no longer have the e-mails. Their prices where higher then expected but once I figured the price of the aluminum it seamed a fare price. Whish I could be more help I would do a search for aluminum boat fabrication and start calling around. That is how I got the names I did. Most of the shops are to busy or don’t want too but there are a few out there that will.
Old 02 March 2007, 22:59   #8

Pricey aluminum?

If the price you are getting on aluminum is high check with your local scrap yard, I have a guy who really treats me right on cutoffs, partial sheets, usually he just sells it for the scrap value whatever it is, I have found some great stuff for my boat/fabrication.
Old 02 March 2007, 23:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
thanks for the quick and full reply. I checked with Gil, Armstrong and some others a while ago and they either sold only their designs and weren't interested in custom work, or prices were higher than what I can get it done for here. zodiac has provided me with the factory drawings and urged me to stick to their specs based on experience with alternatives, so will go for that rather than another design. I appreciate your help and any further references would be appreciated.
bryan
What kind of price are they shooting you Bryan? My guy Tim does great work but he has a FARM he is rehabbing right now, I am not sure he will even be able to do my new radar arch. He does have two brothers that do this kind of stuff, maybe one is available, I'll check.
Old 03 March 2007, 11:55   #10

I don't have a target price in mind, but will know it when I see it. Materials alone would cost about $1,800 if I need to buy full sheets though. In regard to scrap aluminum, I'm in a part of the country where it will be rare to find aluminum that can be used in salt water so doubt it would be productive to go the scrap yard route...and I live in a town of 10,000 people so all the resources are minimal. thanks again.
Old 03 March 2007, 12:00   #11

RE aluminum

That quote for material sounds really high, also is there a specific alloy you are looking for? I don't know exactly what type you are looking for but I think partial sheets that could be welded together would be a LOT cheaper. I could probably get enough to build a bracket for somewhere in the range of 200 to 300 dollars I'm guessing....
Old 05 March 2007, 07:46   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Sunrider:

I did a quick check: a 4'x8' plate of 1/4" 5052 is $502 at MetalsDepot (haven't done business with them; it was just the first hit on Google.)

Can't see you needing over 3 sheets for a motor bracket.

jky