Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet North America
Click Here to Login

Old 08 November 2007, 00:33   #1

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20 Suzuki
Does any one know what are the most fuel efficient outbards?

Does the USA build any outboards, and what are the most fuel efficient outboard on the market? With the Canadian dollar doing so good it's a lot cheaper to buy in the USA and if it's built there we don't pay duty.
Old 08 November 2007, 00:44   #2

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
You might start by researching a small company called Mercury Marine I am sure they will have a model that suits your needs. I have heard that they have a good reputation.
Old 08 November 2007, 07:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
You might start by researching a small company called Mercury Marine I am sure they will have a model that suits your needs. I have heard that they have a good reputation.

Depends what you want. I think some mercs are being made in China-the 40 to 60hp fourstrokes for example.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2007, 09:32   #4

Town: HL
Boat name: StormChaser
Make: Humber OceanPro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC 200HO
Evinrude is a Canadian Company (BRP = Bombardier Recreational Products) and outboards are produced in the US .

www.evinrude.com
Old 08 November 2007, 12:18   #5

Town: Florida
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: Twin 150 Johnson O/B
Having talked to a mechanic who maintains state fish and wildlife vessels, the Evinrude E-Tec is more efficient than four stroke O/Bs by Honda, Yamaha, etc.
Full many a sailor points with pride To cruises o’er the ocean wide; But they cannot compare with me, For I have sailed the Bering Sea. While though you’ve weathered fiercest gale And every ocean, you have sailed; You cannot a salty sailor be Until you've sailed the Bering Sea.
FedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2007, 12:26   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post

An outboard may have Mercury badging, and although Mercury is an 'American company' it's certainly not a given that it has been built in the US or even built by Mercury. I believe a number of outboards in their lineup are manfactured by Yamaha. Of the Mercury badged outboards that are actually built by Mercury, where do they get assembled? Where are their parts manufactured?
Old 08 November 2007, 15:48   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
An outboard may have Mercury badging, and although Mercury is an 'American company' it's certainly not a given that it has been built in the US or even built by Mercury. I believe a number of outboards in their lineup are manfactured by Yamaha.
Don't think that's true anymore.

Last I heard, Yamaha was supplying powerheads for some mid-size engines, but I believe that stopped, as well. May be wrong on this, but that's what I remember seeing somewhere.

(As an aside, a few years back Mercury concurrently brought a couple of lawsuits Yamaha: One stated that Yamaha was selling their motors too cheaply over here, while the other said the exact same motors they were buying from Yamaha for rebadging were overpriced. Go figure. Nothing like the US legal system.)

jky
Old 08 November 2007, 19:01   #8

I was told

I was told that Honda is best on fuel but cost more and repairs are more and need special tools to work on? Alot of Merc's are Yam/Tohatsu rebaged. Evinrude/Johnson are made in the States. Who gets the better fuel? Apparently they all claim to get better fuel mileage. I gues it boils down to look at a hp then check it with all outboard in its class. If I do go Evan/Johnson I do know that I don't have to pay duty getting it over the boarder around 400 savings.
Thanks people for your input.
Old 08 November 2007, 20:43   #9

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
I've had my Honda BF150 for 2 boating seasons now and have had zero issues with it. As far as fuel economy, depending on the situation I get between 5-7 MPG. That is much better than the 90 HP Mariner (Mercury) two cycle I had on my previous 18 ft rib. That rig got about 4 MPG at best. The performance is great. As far as tools, other than needing metric sockets, it's no different than most any of the newer high-tech engines. As far as possible future repairs, it is no different to work on than any other similar engine. I just finished winterizing it, which was no big deal. While doing the work I was most impressed with the build quality of the motor. The part milling, quality of the components and overall fit and finish is top notch. Yes, it does cost a little more, but in this case, you get what you pay for. One of my other reasons for going with Honda is with almost 100% certainty Honda will be in business and making outboards in the future. Who knows what the future may hold for companys like Evinrude. As the saying goes, never say never.
Old 08 November 2007, 21:09   #10

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
seems evinrude is the only sensible choice .

If it helps in the summer I hired a similar sized boat to mine with a new 90 vtec honda .
My new boat has a 90 evinrude

Although the boats are different but same size and wieght and I only used the honda for day
As a comparison on a days cruising the evinrude seems to use less fuel .

The get up and go from the evinrude is a lot better and its not as noisy when used hard.

I found the vtec on the honda made the power delivery a bit uneven
Old 09 November 2007, 01:26   #11

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
My experience is that when the valvetrain shifts there is a surge similar to a turbo kicking in. (I'm not trying to say it's like a turbo) If someone is not expecting it or not use to it, I suppose it could be interpreted is uneven. I have never felt it to be an issue or problem. I have no first hand e-tec experience, so I'm not going to knock them. I expect to keep my boat eight to ten years, to me, my concern is what is BRP's long term committment to what is actually a small part of their overall business. How well will these motors be running with that many years on them. The Honda may not be the fastest motor, but I believe over the long haul they may well win the race.
Old 09 November 2007, 03:03   #12

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
The 225 hp E-tec is about 100 pounds lighter than the Yamaha 225 hp 4 stroke which equates to a big difference in acceleration and fuel consumption. Go with the etec. You can also tune it with your laptop.
Old 09 November 2007, 03:36   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
The 225 hp E-tec is about 100 pounds lighter than the Yamaha 225 hp 4 stroke which equates to a big difference in acceleration and fuel consumption. Go with the etec. You can also tune it with your laptop.
That's alot of horses for dverstege's 4m RIB!
Old 09 November 2007, 12:31   #14

Town: Florida
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: Twin 150 Johnson O/B
Honda definitely makes great O/Bs, they are slung on the back of every USCG 25' SafeBoat. I haven't heard any issues with them from the Coasties. That being said, they are also expensive. I wouldn't count out Johnson/Evinrude. They managed to survive the demise of OMC and are standard equipment for some of the major boat manufacturers here in the U.S.

I'm still running almost 10 year old Johnson Ocean Runner 150 V6s on my assigned 733.
Full many a sailor points with pride To cruises o’er the ocean wide; But they cannot compare with me, For I have sailed the Bering Sea. While though you’ve weathered fiercest gale And every ocean, you have sailed; You cannot a salty sailor be Until you've sailed the Bering Sea.
FedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2007, 17:00   #15

I wasn't knocking Honda or any of the Jap stuff , I agree its the safe choice and top quality .
I was simply commenting on how i felt about the Vtec . Maybe its ok on a bigger motor but on a 90 it was like having a 50 for the first half of its revs . It meant using more throttle at times and slower speeds wewre a pain to keep constant . It was most noticable when trying to give the kids a ride on a donut .
I think that contributed to more fuel consumption .
I just didn't see the need for the extra complication of vtec on a low tuned boat motor .

As for the strength of BRP it was a question I asked but take a look at what the company includes and is conected to , its a huge concern . I believe KTM even have interests in parts of it among others .
Old 13 November 2007, 21:46   #16

So anybody have experience with yamaha

It seems that evinrude seems to have the best feed back but what about Yamaha. I'm looking at picking an outboard 25-40 up this spring when the deals come out.
Old 16 November 2007, 17:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
It seems that evinrude seems to have the best feed back but what about Yamaha. I'm looking at picking an outboard 25-40 up this spring when the deals come out.

The small Evinrude's are very heavy it seems they are not that interested in under 70hp, The 3 big japs seem to have the market sewn up in the smaller motors now they have all gone 4 stroke ,wieght is important if you have to carry it and Honda seem to be the best I think.
Old 22 November 2007, 00:12   #18

susuki

I have a 20hp susuki 2 stroke on my boat now but would like to get new. That's why the questions. The susuki is nice but not popular in Canada like they are in Europe. So from what the post boils down to Evanrude or Honda are the main motors with Murc 3rd place. Did I read the post right??