Old 08 November 2007, 21:26   #11

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
My experience is that when the valvetrain shifts there is a surge similar to a turbo kicking in. (I'm not trying to say it's like a turbo) If someone is not expecting it or not use to it, I suppose it could be interpreted is uneven. I have never felt it to be an issue or problem. I have no first hand e-tec experience, so I'm not going to knock them. I expect to keep my boat eight to ten years, to me, my concern is what is BRP's long term committment to what is actually a small part of their overall business. How well will these motors be running with that many years on them. The Honda may not be the fastest motor, but I believe over the long haul they may well win the race.

Old 08 November 2007, 23:03   #12

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
The 225 hp E-tec is about 100 pounds lighter than the Yamaha 225 hp 4 stroke which equates to a big difference in acceleration and fuel consumption. Go with the etec. You can also tune it with your laptop.

Old 08 November 2007, 23:36   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
The 225 hp E-tec is about 100 pounds lighter than the Yamaha 225 hp 4 stroke which equates to a big difference in acceleration and fuel consumption. Go with the etec. You can also tune it with your laptop.
That's alot of horses for dverstege's 4m RIB!
Old 09 November 2007, 08:31   #14

Town: Florida
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Johnson O/B
Honda definitely makes great O/Bs, they are slung on the back of every USCG 25' SafeBoat. I haven't heard any issues with them from the Coasties. That being said, they are also expensive. I wouldn't count out Johnson/Evinrude. They managed to survive the demise of OMC and are standard equipment for some of the major boat manufacturers here in the U.S.

I'm still running almost 10 year old Johnson Ocean Runner 150 V6s on my assigned 733.
Full many a sailor points with pride To cruises o’er the ocean wide; But they cannot compare with me, For I have sailed the Bering Sea. While though you’ve weathered fiercest gale And every ocean, you have sailed; You cannot a salty sailor be Until you've sailed the Bering Sea.
FedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2007, 13:00   #15

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I wasn't knocking Honda or any of the Jap stuff , I agree its the safe choice and top quality .
I was simply commenting on how i felt about the Vtec . Maybe its ok on a bigger motor but on a 90 it was like having a 50 for the first half of its revs . It meant using more throttle at times and slower speeds wewre a pain to keep constant . It was most noticable when trying to give the kids a ride on a donut .
I think that contributed to more fuel consumption .
I just didn't see the need for the extra complication of vtec on a low tuned boat motor .

As for the strength of BRP it was a question I asked but take a look at what the company includes and is conected to , its a huge concern . I believe KTM even have interests in parts of it among others .
Old 13 November 2007, 17:46   #16

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
So anybody have experience with yamaha

It seems that evinrude seems to have the best feed back but what about Yamaha. I'm looking at picking an outboard 25-40 up this spring when the deals come out.
Old 16 November 2007, 13:00   #17

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
It seems that evinrude seems to have the best feed back but what about Yamaha. I'm looking at picking an outboard 25-40 up this spring when the deals come out.

The small Evinrude's are very heavy it seems they are not that interested in under 70hp, The 3 big japs seem to have the market sewn up in the smaller motors now they have all gone 4 stroke ,wieght is important if you have to carry it and Honda seem to be the best I think.
Old 21 November 2007, 20:12   #18

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Engine: 20 Suzuki
susuki

I have a 20hp susuki 2 stroke on my boat now but would like to get new. That's why the questions. The susuki is nice but not popular in Canada like they are in Europe. So from what the post boils down to Evanrude or Honda are the main motors with Murc 3rd place. Did I read the post right??