Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
We thought about towing back to shore but rib only rated 115hp
As funny as this sounds, we almost had to do this one time. My buddy and I dive separately. I need to help suit him up, he starts diving, and by the time I am heading down, he's usually doing his hang.

A few springs ago (i.e water temp 33F surface/34F @ 110') I was surprised to find him still hanging off the side of the boat when I surfaced. He would have been on the water for about an hour at this point (in a Viking drysuit). My SO was tending, but at 98#s, she's not a lot of help in the hauling end of things. Because the water was so cold, and possibly because it was his first dive of the season, he simply couldn't pull himself up the way he normally would have done. To make matters worse, he had removed his fins and tried to use the engine skeg as a step, but still couldn't haul his carcass in. (He weighed about 300#, 6'4" tall)

Once I surfaced, I got him to put his fins on again and we reverted to the original plan, but we "seriously" considered looping a line around his foot and dragging him in. (Even with a 150, we'd have had a hell of a time getting him to plane!)

Since then, he has lost a fair chunk of weight...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 12:04   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I tried that, once.

A buddy of mine and I decided to eschew the rescue diver refresher course a friend was putting on, and planned to dive a sunken sailboat that is something like 200 yards offshore. Once we were off the beach and swimming to the site, a friend came up in his RIB. Rather than shed gear, climb in, haul gear in, and reverse the process at the sailboat, we decided to have him drag us over there in reverse at idle speed (to keep the prop away from a diver who came loose.) Big mistake. The water generates *lots* of drag on fully kitted diver who is trying to hang onto the lifelines. I made it to the sailboat, but had to rest for about 10 minutes to get my arms to work correctly again.

I now dissuade people from trying that. It actually is easier to get everything into the boat. Even without the butt-handle.

jky

Old 27 February 2007, 20:42   #13

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
The water generates *lots* of drag on fully kitted diver who is trying to hang onto the lifelines.
I do a fair bit of tow-planing up here looking for wrecks. My SO putts along at about 3-4 mph and I drag on a tow-plane way behind the boat. (Kind of a poor man's Side Scan!)

My board has a nice little seat on it, hand holds, spaces for computers and most importantly... a quick-release shackle. I can cover large areas this way, flying along just above the bottom. There isn't much resistance at this speed, but it does get cold.

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 27 February 2007, 22:00   #14

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
STOO i've been looking for something like that. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. Can you send me info on what you are using?
Old 27 February 2007, 22:33   #15

Stoo; I've seen that done before, but usually with freedivers. You do this fully rigged for scuba?

I would guess that a board would be easier, though (better grip, more streamlined position, etc.), rather than trying to hang on a tubes lifeline. I will honestly say that I won't try that again.

The tow-line thing probably wouldn't do us much good here, as we have pretty poor average visibility. Then again, it would be a good way to waste a dive day, figuring it out. Food for thought, I guess...

jky
Old 27 February 2007, 23:10   #16

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
Stoo
We have alot of rocks etc on the ocean bottom so how do you avoid them scanning near the bottom. We tried a crude version of a sled but steering with fins proved difficult
Old 28 February 2007, 07:53   #17

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144 View Post
Can you send me info on what you are using?
Donnie, the board "lives" in the boat and so it's in storage at the moment. I'll see if I can do up a doodle and post it... It's pretty simple to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
Stoo
We have a lot of rocks etc on the ocean bottom so how do you avoid them scanning near the bottom.
I find I can "fly" this just by shifting my weight on it. It's actually pretty exciting to fly along the edge of a drop off. It's very quiet and I often surprise large fish like lake trout and salmon because I come up on them so fast. And yes, I wear full SCUBA... including doubles. If you have an adjustable second stage it's helpful to dial down the flow, otherwise you will free flow. Oh... and torque down your mask strap too if you intend to look sideways!

You need to use a lot of line... usually about 3X the depth you want to reach. If it isn't long enough, there is a great tendency for the board to keep pulling up. I routinely tow at 100-130'. This board is my 3rd one, and I couldn't improve it... Well, maybe a com system to talk to The Captain... she kind of worries about dragging me into something, like a fish net, which isn't an entirely remote possibility...

I'll see what I can come up with to show you...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 28 February 2007, 08:45   #18

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
We have a customer who is specifying a boat for the US Virgin Islands - he has asked us to fit one of these - http://www.garelick.com/prodcat.php?subid=AB01 They look perfect for the job - it will obviously be fitted to the transom.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 12:32   #19

The Garelick's are pretty popular; in part, I think because there are so few manufacturers.

I have heard of a few people losing the ladder part, either while removing it, or forgetting to do so.

Still, it's one of the few games in town, so I guess you can't complain too much...

jky
Old 28 February 2007, 13:17   #20

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
I almost bought that ladder but opted for the one with fixed rungs because it FLOATS. I've dropped it a couple times swapping it over and it sure is nice knowing it will float. I was going to tie a line to it but was afraid it would be an entanglement hazard.