Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet North America
Click Here to Login

Old 20 June 2016, 22:10   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Difference between a Zodiac RIB-P and a 733

So for you old timers you might remember that I rebuilt an old zodiac 7m RIB-P a few years ago. The RIB-P preceded the 733 changes and designation. I had found one reference in a magazine article talking about the Zodiac CZ7 they tried to sell. That article said they changed the strakes on the 733 (for the higher speeds of the OB version they were going to produce), added some molded features like the fuel tank cradle, and changed the tubes to the slide on style. I had always wondered what the strake changes were. Well I finally got an answer from Zodiac Milpro/Hurricane. they eliminated the lowest set of strakes on the 733. Here you can see I have three sets, I guess the 733 has two. Here is mine. Anybody know the theory behind the changes?

And here is an image I stole off the site from Ryan's latest build. Notice his isn't in a field ;-)

Old 19 July 2016, 20:37   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
More control at higher speed?

Without the lowest (most inward / closest to the keel) strakes, you'd be less likely to chine walk and be able to keep more wetted surface in the water.

Picture your boat at say 55+ mph planing on the keel and those two lowest / most inward strakes - sounds tippy, huh?

A friend was talking about putting a Konrad racing i/o and a 480 hp Cummins in a Willard 7m. He was talking about grinding off the back 3-4 ft. of the inboard running strakes for more control and to keep more boat in the water (and the Willard has 2 sets of lifting strakes like the 733).
Old 20 July 2016, 12:04   #3

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
The design change may have been when Hurricane was bought by Zodiac. Most people do not know that it was originally started by one of their employees who sold the company to Zodiac after they realized the value in selling commercial ribs.

For a time they also built the recreational rib hulls in the same factory in Canada. This many older small Zodiac ribs have a capacity plate that says Zodiac hurricane although it is not a "Hurricane." The early Pro series boats for example were built there, 420,470, and 530. Same boats in some cases just different hull color and tubes.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:27   #4

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
The only reference I saw was from the RIB-P to the 733 designation. That's when it sounds like they were planning on going to an OB version they knew would be faster than the 30kt diesel speed.

Tags
rib, zodiac