Old 08 February 2008, 09:44   #1

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Commencing Specwar 733 Rebuild

Hello All,

I'll be commencing the rebuilding of a ZHT Specwar 733 hull in a few weeks and am looking for lessons learned from folks who have done this already.

This will be my fourth refurb on a Hurricane, having done two 640's and a 630, but this will be my first 733.

I've stripped the hull and am planning on installing a pair of 150-200hp 4-stroke outboards onto a bracket and moving the console aft and possibly elevating it.

Any construction notes would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
Old 08 February 2008, 16:01   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Somebody on here did (I think) a 733 a couple of years ago. I seem to recall they were in the northeast, but I can't place a name. Boat name might have been "War Machine"?

A search through the older posts should turn it up. Even if it wasn't a 733, it should give you some ideas.

jky
Old 09 February 2008, 04:16   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I believe that would be Pathalla who owns the War Machine. Bryan Peterson does a fair bit of refurbishing of these RIBs as well.
Old 09 February 2008, 04:20   #4

I found the "War Machine" posts, it's not a 733, good info though....
Old 09 February 2008, 05:57   #5

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
733's max horsepower is twin 150's..... Although I have see a few with with twin 200's(Opti Max). It sounds like it was a diesel inboard/outboard that you are converting to outboards?? Outboard extensions are the way to go. Sunrider on this forum has re-fubed a few 733's. They are an awesome boat. Good Luck
Old 09 February 2008, 13:05   #6

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Yes, I've reconditioned some of these and the smaller ZHT's, and also the Willard 7 meters which are almost identical as I'm sure you know. With your experience on the other Zodiac's I'm sure you will find the 733 very familiar and I doubt you will run into any unique challenges. Are you looking for a setup similar to the CZ7, with the raised deck, Ullmans or pods, and ergonomic console along with the transom extension?

At the moment I'm working on one that is probably the identical boat as yours, that I've had for a couple of years....also converting from inboard to twin outboards. I like the concept you may be working toward but can't resist playing with some ideas for using the original engine compartment for a multi-use mini cabin/storage and/or head area - and I've also rebuilt the aft deck to mount a Stidd Special Mission Seat. But I've gotten sidetracked by a couple of other projects, including one of the Willards (a jet) that should be ready by spring if this Iowa weather will lighten up a bit (windchills of -20 tonight!).

I would be happy to share any info or resources I might have...just let me know the specifics. best of luck ....
bryan
Old 09 February 2008, 15:33   #7

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
Bryan, do you still have the avon 5.4 You were going to refurb that one too. I have the sister ship of that and am finally deciding on a back seat to have made for it. Its tough when you got a few to finish and cant get to them all
Old 09 February 2008, 15:55   #8

Yes, I do. I've honestly never had it in the water, or one like it, so really look forward to the day when it rises to the top of the project list. From what our British friends say it must be one of the best designs ever to meet the water...really looking forward to it - and the tubes still hold air even though it's sat for several years now!
Old 09 February 2008, 22:52   #9

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
I just refurbished the tubes on a 630 using tuffcoat, they came out pretty good, no need to buy new tubes. I have pics posted on here.
Old 10 February 2008, 08:16   #10

Bryan, thanks for the information...
I'm going for a setup similar to the whalewatching ribs, with a raised console and coxswain platform as far aft as possible. I might even place it so far aft that the helmsman is nearly standing on the transom.
I read some of your earlier posts concerning the outboard bracket, are you going to fab one yourself from ZHT schematics? Just for grins, did you have ZHT quote you out on one of the brackets? I'll bet it's scary expensive.....
I was fortunate enough to find an unused specwar tube and do some horsetrading for it. I'm sure that will be my last opportunity to save some cash for the rest of this conversion
Troy
Old 10 February 2008, 09:01   #11

Town: Deni
Boat name: Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard

I have a 733 and would like to set it up a bit better, ie seats, bimini shade, cupboards, esky, rod racks, radar, Helm position etc. so would be interested in anyone willing to share any photo's of what they consider a good offshore rigged RIB.

Cheers Hurri
Old 10 February 2008, 12:13   #12

the whale watching layout seems like it has proven itself to be very functional, and you should find great West Coast and Hawaii resources if you want to learn from their more local experience - I believe OceanEco is very experienced with it, among others. I'm sure you will be watching the weight distribution closely....wouldn't want to get to far aft.

If you will be fabricating seat pods and it proves possible to lower unit cost by increasing volume please let me know...I will be needing 4 for my 733 and have never been able to find anyone in the midwest who could do the work without a lot of handholding. This has been a continuous problem for me in Iowa.

I got lucky with fabrication of my transom extension in finding one for free that I could modify to exactly fit the original design used by ZHT - although I never got a quote from ZHT I did send the plans to a few fabricators and if I remember correctly received quotes from $3-5k, which is more than I would want to pay. Let me know if you are in need of plans....I have the originals used for the 733.

You're very fortunate to find those tubes. I'm using a lightly used set I got from a friend in New Hampshire at a good price - but new is ideal of course. I also received a quote of $7,500 from DIB for a new set, which seemed reasonable at the time.
bryan
Old 11 February 2008, 01:54   #13

Bryan, you've got a pm.....
Old 11 February 2008, 05:37   #14

What do you have for fuel tanks in the 733? A single or two tanks? You should have no problem being right at the transom as far as weight distribution goes especially if you have the two fuel tank option.

Up here it would cost anywhere from $2000-$6000 to have an extension fabricated for you. One thing that seems better as far as design goes is imho that it is better to have an inner flange to bolt through when attaching to the transom rather than a a full encased alum sheet in the front of the extension where it bolts to the transom. If that makes sense.... I have done it both ways and when you use a full sheet it tends to work against the transom more and is defiantly a weak point. If you need some pictures just let me know.
Old 11 February 2008, 06:36   #15

OceanEco, this 733 hull has space for an 85 gal. tank plus a 48 gal. tank, I'll probably put both in.

I'm thinking that the weight distribution won't be an issue with the console all the way aft. If it turns into a problem, I'll install a fresh water tank in the bow.

I'm not quite picking up on your thoughts about mounting the bracket, do you have pics?

Troy
Old 11 February 2008, 15:46   #16

I will take some pictures soon. Basically when you have the extension fabricated the forward end of it that is bolted to the transom should have a four inch flange that you bolt through to the transom rather than enclosed on the front. Here is a very crude diagram I'll send you proper photos soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad art.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	32814  
Old 11 February 2008, 19:40   #17

I see what you're getting at now, makes sense.....