Old 20 January 2012, 06:38   #1

Length: no boat
Boating in California 101?

Trying to do a quick assessment of "What I need to do/know to start boating in CA".

So it looks like a boat is treated similar to a car with the CA DMV - I need to get it registered and pay some nominal registration fees but there are no license fees based on the vehicle value?

Property tax??? OK, so it looks like I'll need to pay a 1% of assessed value tax (San Mateo County). Does that sound about right?

OK, so I've got Registration and Property Tax costs. Is insurance mandatory and is a minimum coverage set (didn't see anything in the ABC's of CA Boating pdf)? If so, what would be the recommended coverage on a 13' 20hp SIB?

Operators license not needed, correct?

Does that pretty much cover it or are there other Preservation-of-the-Spotted-Sea-Urchin-Restroration-Tax-Stamp type fees that I'll be paying?
Thanks from a noob!
Old 20 January 2012, 10:17   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Annabelle 30
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9l
From one noob to another. Sure you have been here already but this is the site that should answer your questions.
Department of Boating and Waterways or send them an email...pretty good at responding

pubinfo@dbw.ca.gov

D
Old 20 January 2012, 15:43   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_bay View Post
Trying to do a quick assessment of "What I need to do/know to start boating in CA".

So it looks like a boat is treated similar to a car with the CA DMV - I need to get it registered and pay some nominal registration fees but there are no license fees based on the vehicle value?
$20 / 2 years, if I remember right. DMV issues CF numbers for boats under 100 tons (I think) or over if the owner decides not to document with the CG.

Quote:
Property tax??? OK, so it looks like I'll need to pay a 1% of assessed value tax (San Mateo County). Does that sound about right?
It's actually the same tax as a really expensive car; luxury tax, I think it's called. My boat was registered as a $20K calue, and still runs something like $400/year.

Quote:
Is insurance mandatory and is a minimum coverage set (didn't see anything in the ABC's of CA Boating pdf)? If so, what would be the recommended coverage on a 13' 20hp SIB?
No. Voluntary insurance, but it's wise to cover yourself for liability (prop strikes, MOB injuries, hitting stuff), as well as replacement cost of the boat.

Quote:
Operators license not needed, correct?
Not in California. Yet.

Quote:
Does that pretty much cover it or are there other Preservation-of-the-Spotted-Sea-Urchin-Restroration-Tax-Stamp type fees that I'll be paying?
Thanks from a noob!
Nope, nothing else, unless your ramp/beach/wherever you put in has a fee.

You might want to surf to the Department of Boating and Waterways site and take their online test (designed for BUI offenders), as it *may* get you break on insurance. Good knowledge in any case. And if you want a fairly comprehensive guide to boating (with a hell of a lot more stuff than you need), buy a copy of Chapman Piloting, available at West Marine or just about any other chandler, and many bookstores.

Luck;

jky

[Edit: Sorry, Ribby_D; didn't see your reply before I typed mine.]
Old 20 January 2012, 15:49   #4

Length: no boat
Perfect. Thanks.

CA DBW sez (The California Boating Safety Course) "Those who successfully complete the course are awarded Certificates of Completion which are recognized by many insurance companies for discounts on boat insurance policies." Is that the BUI offender course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
$20 / 2 years, if I remember right. DMV issues CF
numbers for boats under 100 tons (I think) or over if the owner decides not to document with the CG.

It's actually the same tax as a really expensive car; luxury tax, I think it's called. My boat was registered as a $20K calue, and still runs something like $400/year.

No. Voluntary insurance, but it's wise to cover yourself for liability (prop strikes, MOB injuries, hitting stuff), as well as replacement cost of the boat.

Not in California. Yet.

Nope, nothing else, unless your ramp/beach/wherever you put in has a fee.

You might want to surf to the Department of Boating and Waterways site and take their online test (designed for BUI offenders), as it *may* get you break on insurance. Good knowledge in any case. And if you want a fairly comprehensive guide to boating (with a hell of a lot more stuff than you need), buy a copy of Chapman Piloting, available at West Marine or just about any other chandler, and many bookstores.

Luck;

jky

[Edit: Sorry, Ribby_D; didn't see your reply before I typed mine.]
Old 21 January 2012, 15:46   #5

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same one. Difference is that a BUI offender is required to take it, while a recreational boater has it as an option.

It's not a big deal; the study material is all online, and the test is not exactly the hardest thing in the world. Largely simple common sense, mostly geared towards safety. When in doubt, pick the answer that keeps you safer, and you'll usually be right (it is a state sponsored program after all.)

Luck;

jky
Old 25 January 2012, 18:19   #6
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Anyone tried to register a boat from auction in California?

-Talked to Willard in Anaheim, there is no HIN on the transom.
-Per the CA DMV website, "The department will not assign a HIN to a vessel 'commercially manufactured' after 1972."
-I've done a lot of google'ing and haven't found anything.

I spent 20 minutes on hold this morning trying to talk to someone at the DMV but had to give up.

Thanks!
Old 25 January 2012, 18:40   #7

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Anyone tried to register a boat from auction in California?

-Talked to Willard in Anaheim, there is no HIN on the transom.
-Per the CA DMV website, "The department will not assign a HIN to a vessel 'commercially manufactured' after 1972."
-I've done a lot of google'ing and haven't found anything.

I spent 20 minutes on hold this morning trying to talk to someone at the DMV but had to give up.

Thanks!
Willard built it after 1972 but without a HIN? I am guessing this boat was made for the military or a prototype of some sort? Or was the HIN destroyed somehow (ground off).

Edit: I'm not in California but at least in Washington, I would recommend going in person to the office with your bill of sale and any other documents that you have. The counter people are way better at making things happen in person than describing what they need or do via the phone. You may be directed to get something else somewhere else. Its a pain, but you are highly likely to get conflicting answers on the phone or just waste time on hold.
Old 25 January 2012, 18:54   #8
ncp

Thanks captjack, I was afraid someone would say that.

Yes, it was purchased at auction, ex-Navy 7m. I'm the second owner but the 1st owner never registered it in his home state of Washington.

I'm not looking forward to towing the boat to the dmv just to register it but I'm thinking that's what I may have to do. There a whole list of reasons that you might have to bring a car in to register (out of state, out of country, etc.) but nothing specifically about boats. I was hoping that someone who has done it before would have an easy solution (wishful thinking!).

Thanks
Old 25 January 2012, 19:08   #9

I wouldn't tow the actual boat over there. You have a bill of sale right? Who wrote that up? I'd take a few pictures and bring those along with all the paperwork that you do have. You may end up bringing it to a vehicle inspection station or something like that, which probably isn't the actual DMV office (up here its done by the State Patrol, aka State Police)

Odd to me that it was never registered in Washington. We title even the smallest boats (but not engines). Very odd that Willard just omitted a HIN too.

So...
No HIN ever issued by manufacturer (ok plausible Willard does make alot of Navy stuff...)
Not registered in WA (a 7m power boat zipping around unregistered for how many years??)
No HIN ever issued by WA
Resold out of state at an auction

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but something about this smells kinda shady.
Old 25 January 2012, 20:02   #10
ncp

I'm in the car this afternoon for a long commute home...I'll call the DMV to see if I should bring it in with me. I was able to schedule an appt. online with them for tomorrow afternoon. I'm thinking that they'll want to verify that there is no HIN; otherwise, I doubt that I will convince them to issue me a new one.

Sorry, to clarify, he bought at auction, fixed a couple of [big] items, then sold it to me. He said he never registered it because he always planned to resell it and only used it a handful of times.

I have:
1. The previous owners printouts from govliquidation.com showing the boat and the Navy Hull number (7MRBXXXX). It also has "sold to" info with his name.
2. The signed bill of sale that he and I wrote up (copied & pasted from the internet into a 1 page document). Pretty complete.

This should suffice for chain of ownership.

When I talked to Willard Marine this morning, they said that they only put the "HRN" number on the transom for the Navy and that the Coast Guard told them they don't need an HIN (that would never get registered with the Coast Guard anyway) because it's "not a pleasure boat".

I'll let everyone know how this plays out tomorrow....
Old 25 January 2012, 21:21   #11

DMV angle of attack #1
Have DMV use Navy hull number "7MRBXXXX" as the HIN. I think this is the simplest as its already permanently attached somewhere. (right?)

DMV angle of attack #2
If Willard didn't build it as a pleasure boat then it was never "commercially made" as far as DMV is concerned. So have them issue a HIN as if it were backyard built. Then you'd have to have an embossed plate or similar made to permanently affix to the transom = more hassle.

At least up here, boat registration is not done via the DMV. County Auditors and their subagents do it for an additional $3 fee. Normally they are pretty easy to work with, my previous boat had a typo in the HIN on the title and even that was fairly straighforward to fix. So I hope this goes drama free.
Old 26 January 2012, 15:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
I was able to schedule an appt. online with them for tomorrow afternoon.
Off topic, but: How? Every time I try to make an appt with the CA DMV, it's a month and a half out, and at an inopportune time.

I had to register my boat with the DMV after the builder delivered from Canada. Had to take the rig down to the DMV, not so much for the boat, but for the trailer. They spent a long time looking at the label on the trailer before registering it. The boat went through without a second glance.

Best of luck;

jky
Old 26 January 2012, 15:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I had to register my boat with the DMV after the builder delivered from Canada. Had to take the rig down to the DMV, not so much for the boat, but for the trailer. They spent a long time looking at the label on the trailer before registering it. The boat went through without a second glance.
My trailer was provided by Polaris too, a Highliner made in Canada. But I had a certificate stating that it was made in compliance with USDOT standards. That's all WA State wanted and they registered/titled it.
Old 26 January 2012, 20:55   #14
ncp

Much ado about nothing...

After an hour and twenty minutes on the phone with the dmv yesterday and confusing the heck out of young kid and his supervisor, walking into the dmv today worked.

1. The sticking points yesterday on the phone were that this was a "commercially produced" boat newer than 1972 so regs state that the State of California won't issue an HIN (like they would for a home built boat). They suggested that maybe the manufacturer would have to issue the HIN or I could try my luck by bringing the boat to the dmv.

2. Showed up to the dmv with the boat today and had park illegally (crowded and no street parking). Was told that they didn't need the boat (she said it so quickly that it sounded like they never have to see it) then got scolded for not bringing the original bill of sale, only a copy. With that said, I was super nice, laid out the story with the govt liquidation paperwork, and they issued me HIN and CF numbers in 25 minutes! They only hiccup was that the computer didn't like inflatable & i/o together.

Glad that's done!

The moral of the story is be nice and spin them a story and you should be ok!
Old 26 January 2012, 22:30   #15

Yay!!
I have no idea but just being there face to face makes a ton of difference in my experience. On the phone, they just want you to hang up and go away. In person, they do try to get your vehicle properly licensed and titled.

So where's some pics of your new RIB??
Old 27 January 2012, 02:05   #16
ncp

Maybe some pics tomorrow. I'm trying to get in the water for a bit.

New tubes are bolted on (except for the last 3 bolts per side on the inside bow...winkled a bit funny). Seven quarts of Royal Purple 75W-90 are being transfered from another store to my local Napa Auto Parts tomorrow morning. Changing the gear oil in Konrad after I get a little work done and hoping to get on the water for an hour or two!

Reading up right now!
Old 27 January 2012, 15:31   #17

Have a blast, ncp; get some pics on here when you get off the water.

I think I'm going to be dry again this weekend; was planning on a couple of days of diving and crabbing in Monterey, but my back is acting up. I'll be waiting for your pics to get my boating fix.

jky
Old 27 January 2012, 18:08   #18

Town: San Diego
Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Good for you ncp. I have had to get two boats from gov auctions registered in CA. Always do it in person.
It looks like California is taking over Rib.net! We will have to see if we can get a rib get together going!
Old 28 January 2012, 03:49   #19
ncp

Sorry sf_bay, one last highjack of your thread:

Got the boat in the water for the first time this afternoon. Launched in Mission Bay, did a couple of hot laps and then headed out in the ocean down towards Point Loma. You have to love 72+ and sunny in January! The Willard handled beautifully in the 4-6 ft. seas once we got clear of the Mission Bay jetties. Only a couple minor issues but I'll save that for another thread!

[My neighbors son has been helping me with the refurb so I let him do some of the driving; he's 15 and just got his pilots license!]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120127_204814.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	65182  
Old 28 January 2012, 03:51   #20

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by engarom View Post
Good for you ncp. I have had to get two boats from gov auctions registered in CA. Always do it in person.
It looks like California is taking over Rib.net! We will have to see if we can get a rib get together going!
Hey ! I will take the photo's
cheers Dal