Old 28 May 2009, 17:41   #1

Town: DeTour Village, MI
Boat name: Snow Goose
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via Yahoo to The Light Keeper
Boat Docking/Carriage Systems for RIB

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for docking/rail/carriage systems for a 4m RIB?

We live on a point on Lake Huron, so we get good winds/waves in the 2-3-4 foot ranges quite often.

We are looking at something that would maybe work like a carriage system that would bring the boat out of the water onto shore.
Old 28 May 2009, 19:09   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Are you recovering onto a slip way?
What sort of budget are you looking at?
Any photos of where your wanting to recover?
Old 28 May 2009, 19:15   #3

System

I do not have any pictures on hand currently of the location. This is something I will try to get in the next few weeks.

The location is the beach in front of my home. It is not sand, all lime stone rock (rocks average about 6"x8" in size. It is a rugged beach, not one to be walked on barefoot very far.

My goal is to have a system that allows you to load the boat on a carriage/cart in the water then wench it onto the beach using the track system.

Budget wise I am not sure. I am just looking for suggestions of companies or hand crafted systems different people may be using under similar conditions.
Old 28 May 2009, 22:53   #4

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
As someone across the lake, I know what you're facing. While my place faces the harbour in Tobermory (with it's lovely dock...) the folks down the road aren't so lucky. The waves get too big to use a lift, and the water is too deep in any case.

I have seen a couple of "railways" that have been built from scratch. Essentially they use two parallel steel beams that run into the shallows (and I assume are anchored into concrete footings in the water). They have a homemade dolly that runs on some type of wheels with a cable to a winch. (The one I am thinking of just uses a boat trailer winch, although I expect an electric jobbie might be better).

I wish I could post a photo, but I am away from town at the moment, but should be back later this week and I'll see if I can get a snap for you...

It isn't a fancy thing, but I suspect getting the appropriate track and wheels will be the challenge...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 01:41   #5

Stoo

Thanks my Canadian cousin to the East. You live in a magnificent area..I have ton's of relatives running from Sault Ste. Marie, ONT all the way down to Winsor, ONT.

What you are describing is what my father current has rigged up for our Boston Whaler. We were hoping to find something a little less time consuming, but it is starting to look like we will be having to design another self-made track system and just put if next the one for the Whaler.

Where we live and the conditions of the water (deep and wavy) it is likely our best option.

If you ever make a boat trip the DeTOUR Village way, stop in and say hello.
Old 29 May 2009, 05:13   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Light Keepe View Post

My goal is to have a system that allows you to load the boat on a carriage/cart in the water then wench it onto the beach using the track system.

I'd stick with the wench's, it sounds much more fun!

Been serious though what can you put on the beach, would two concrete gutters allow your current trailer to run down them ok?

A yard near us still uses dolleys and railway to move all the boats around, its a mess on but its soo simple!
Old 29 May 2009, 15:38   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Or simply remove rocks to get a nice sand bed for the trailer wheels? An electric winch (as seen on the front of 4x4's) should get you the motorized part, and you wouldn't have to futz around moving from the carraige to a trailer.

jky
Old 29 May 2009, 18:57   #8

Good Advice Everyone

I think we are going to stick with a wench and carriage system. We may just turn the trailer into the carriage, remove the tires and develop a rail system for it to ride in and out on. However, we need that trailer for winter storage, so we may just try to find a used one for a few hundred dollars and make it work.

The idea of a concrete gutter and just using a wench to pull the trailer up it is something I had not thought about...it may work. We will play around with that idea as it would still allow us to use the trailer for storage in the winter. Hmmm...might have something here.

We have tried to dig down and remove rock, but we have to dig a ways, but even then the moving ice flows just fill these back in each winter requiring us to start the digging process over from scratch each spring.

Thanks everyone for all of your great ideas, if you think of more keep them coming. Once we get something worked out I will post pictures.
Old 29 May 2009, 19:35   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
It sounds to me like you need some scaffolding poles for your tyreless trailer to run on?

Easy enough to fix to the rock, rawl bolt through the top of the tube entirely then recessed into the tube and plenty of hold in the rock.
Old 01 June 2009, 03:02   #10

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Light Keepe View Post
If you ever make a boat trip the DeTOUR Village way, stop in and say hello.
Likewise... I was up to the Ducks a few years ago (on a tug) but never on my wee boat. We are planning a 'round Huron dive expedition this year (again, hopefully not to be blown out... again) which would put us not too far from you. Fellow Rib.Netter TB Minnow has been very helpful with some wreck coordinates on his side of the pond!

A friend of mine is opening a little dive-shop up in Gore Bay shortly... That's practically down the street from you!

It just occurred to me that you must be the guy who sends all of those knarly nor'westers down our way!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote