Old 20 November 2007, 05:30   #1

Length: 3m +
BEST RIB UNDER 600lbs W/MOTOR?

hello all! newbie here ,and seeking your sage advice...I am a live aboard boater here in Sidney,B.C,and am wanting to put the best toughest and driest RIB up on my boat deck.The criteria so far are: aluminum hull,as much beam as possible and up to 13,maybe 14 feet,oh,and as much power as possible.I am looking at an AB/AL 13,and also maybe a Polaris12'6'',cause it appears to have 6 inches more beam,but I am not familiar with the brand.Also,center console?or tiller?Maximum total weight should be under 600 pounds,as this is about all my lifting arm will handle.

This boat has to do it all for me,essentially it's my SUV,and I am having allot of trouble coming up with the ideal set up.

I really appreciate your advice!
Old 20 November 2007, 10:15   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You're asking a lot for that weight! It's only 272kg.

I'd do without the ally hull and buy a 4m Avon Searider. Just the boat alone is 159kg though-so by the time you've added an engine and fuel you're close to or on your weight limit already

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2007, 16:46   #3

Town: Oakland CA
You're right across the sound from Polaris. You should call or drop by and talk to Guy. Your requirements sound a bit on the hopeful side, but maybe he can help you out there.

Polaris Inflatable Boats (Canada) Ltd.
20583 Langley Bypass, Unit 101
Langley B.C. Canada V3A 5E8

Telephone: (604) 534-5585 Fax: (604) 534-2329

Luck;

jky
Old 20 November 2007, 17:03   #4

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
I have a Polaris 3.5 meter custom built RIB with Remote Steering powered with a 40HP Tohatsu outboard. This Rib was originally designed to be lifted up onto a deck of a Yacht. It's Maxium load capacity is 1094 KG. You will need a lift greater than 600lbs. to lift a RIB of that size plus the weight of the outboard, fuel & Battery.
Old 20 November 2007, 17:06   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Don't Discount all full inflatables...

Polaris makes very high quality aluminum hulled RIBs and the owners are extremely helpful and straightforward.

You may also find that a cat hulled fully inflatable worth a look at since you can get a fair bit more boat length for a given weight limit.

It may be worth a call to Rob or Trisha at Hi-Tech Inflatables ( http://www.racing-inflatables.com/contact.htm )

in Parkesville to test out a Gemini Dive 470 or a Surf 420 which would easily put you under the weight limit. A cat hulled inflatable would be very easy to store on the flat deck of your boat as well.

Old 20 November 2007, 18:23   #6

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Keeping a 12.5ft AL inflatable under 600lbs is easy although you'll need a smaller outboard to do it.
12.5ft Polaris with bench seat and no console = 250 lbs
25hp tiller Yamaha = 150lbs

You have 200lbs capacity left to work with. I would consider 100lbs of that capacity as marketing by the lift maker. So that's 100lbs left for an anchor, dry box of supplies and 6gal of fuel. No problem.

I would stick with AL, its lighter and more durable the fiberglass.

(BTW I have a 15.5ft Polaris and its smashing. I bought it to replace a 12.5ft Bombard sport boat)
Old 21 November 2007, 07:55   #7

great advice

thanks! ,do you think a 25 hp 2 stroke is enough power for a polaris 12.5?
or an ab 13? I really like the pics of the cat that you posted too,thanks!
Old 21 November 2007, 11:11   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I have a polyethylene (much more durable than GRP) rotomolded boat (styled like a rib - but not stricktly speaking inflatable) which would meet your needs easily. Boat is 120 kg, Yam 2str 20HP is just under 50 kg (if I remember correctly) - so with fuel and battery etc you are still at less than 450 pounds... if this is of interest I will see if there is a US distributor for you.
Old 22 November 2007, 01:27   #9

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Ummm....

Would you consider upgrading your hoist? It seems that that is the deciding factor, but one which could presumably changed pretty easily... or am I wrong?

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2007, 04:33   #10

suffice it to say that I can't upgrade the lifting boom and mast without too much cost ,and I am trying ot think about resale on the big boat,if I really upgrade the lifting arms and winches ,it's big bucks that I will never recover,also space wise on the boat deck I am really at maximum by putting a 13 maybe 14 foot boat up there,that's why I am trying to see if I what the best combo really would be given all my space restrictions,I coule push the weight up a bit,I guess but ,you can get into some issues with ease of launch and recovery in anything but super calm weather,this is also one of my primary reasons to go with a rib also ,cause it is so much less troublesome than say an aluminum boat. I am headed over to Vancouver tommorrow and I think I will try to get ahold of polaris,I saw a 13 footer in a boat yard here and it really looked very high quality ,almost custom,which is cool.

Are any of you guys fishing out of yoru ribs here in the PNW?
Old 22 November 2007, 18:10   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Pretty much all the Polaris boats are built-to-order, so they are, in a fashion, all custom.

I do a bit of spearfishing from mine, but I don't think that was your question.

jky