Old 05 June 2007, 03:55   #1

Town: Nelson
Boat name: Mr MaBlue
Make: Wavebreak 4.2 Sport
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Best Boat Show in the USA

Hiya! In an effort to lure Grunta back to visiting friends and family in the States, I've proposed that we time our trip in conjunction with a big boat show that features lots of RIBs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which boat show would be best? Are there other types of expos we should consider - hunting/fishing/diving???

Thanks in advance for the help! Cheers, Gruntessa
Old 05 June 2007, 04:58   #2

... i found this link http://www.boatsafloat.com but now we need to wade through the little shows versus big shows. Has anyone ever attended the Miami International Show? Was it worth it???
Old 05 June 2007, 08:25   #3

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Miami is probably the best, fort lauderdale is good too and has the advantage of not being spread over different locations.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:49   #4

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: best boat show

I'll second the opinion on Miami's boat show, I have been there many times, great show, lots of boats, over 400+ at the Miami beach convention ctr. along with a bunch in the water at the Mariott. Then there are the Megayachts and the sailboats. Lots of stuff to look at with a fair amount of ribs as well. You can spend a couple of days easy if you are looking at gear as well as boats. Take two days to look around and then use a third day to go back and make purchases on whatever you found interesting, there is always something!
It also comes along in Feb. which is a great time to go to a boat show if you live in Northern climes. If you decide to go make sure you reserve a rental car well ahead of time, hotel room as well. Rental cars especially can be difficult to find during the show dates due to the influx of people attending.
Old 05 June 2007, 12:32   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
I'll second the opinion on Miami's boat show, I have been there many times, great show, lots of boats, over 400+ at the Miami beach convention ctr. along with a bunch in the water at the Mariott. Then there are the Megayachts and the sailboats. Lots of stuff to look at with a fair amount of ribs as well. You can spend a couple of days easy if you are looking at gear as well as boats. Take two days to look around and then use a third day to go back and make purchases on whatever you found interesting, there is always something!
It also comes along in Feb. which is a great time to go to a boat show if you live in Northern climes. If you decide to go make sure you reserve a rental car well ahead of time, hotel room as well. Rental cars especially can be difficult to find during the show dates due to the influx of people attending.
What he said!

Only been to Miami once and got a condo at a good rate - I was lucky! Fantastic show in 2005, it is a very "high performance" orientated show!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2007, 22:17   #6

Yippee - Miami, it is! (I figured that would be the case!) Thanks for the hints re condos, cars and purchases. Now, all I have to do is focus on finding the best cuban and caribbean restaurants in the area... Oink!

Show dates are Feb 14-18, 2008 which is kinda far away but if any of you Ribbers want to get together for a cocktail or two, keep in touch - would be great to meet you all.

Cheers, Gruntessa.

PS - I love those bananasharks!
Old 06 June 2007, 08:06   #7

Town: Hamble
Your gonna be disapointed if you go to the Miami show looking for ribs, unless it's the bbq kind!
Old 06 June 2007, 13:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Your gonna be disapointed if you go to the Miami show looking for ribs, unless it's the bbq kind!
Miami will have as many ribs on display as any boat show in the country...
Old 06 June 2007, 15:38   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
... which, of course, means maybe 3...

Unless you're talking the ribs of anorexic model-wannabe's. Those'll be all over the place.

jky
Old 06 June 2007, 17:56   #10

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
... which, of course, means maybe 3...

jky
Exactly. I've been visiting that show on and off for 20 years, and if it's ribs you wanna see I can assure you won't see many. It's sailing, powerboats, cruisers and bits!
Old 06 June 2007, 23:15   #11

The idea of being surrounded by mass quantities of boat bits is certain to give grant a thrill. The idea of mass quantities of bbq ribs excites me!

It doesn't surprise us that only a few RIBs will be shown at Miami. From what we can gather, there are not many (small < 6 mtr) RIBs in the States (unless counting the tenders hanging off yachts is considered.) This kinda baffles us - we all know that RIBs are great for fishing, hunting, diving, etc. And often alloy-hulled RIBs (in our opinion) have great advantages in these activities. Do you all think the reason for the limited RIB choice is that fibreglass boats are so cheap (and familiar) in the States? Maybe it's a lack of knowledge? I imagine there are regional differences/preferences coming into play as well. Hmmm....

Guess I'll have to convince Grant that we should visit Europe next to check out even more RIBs!
Old 07 June 2007, 03:01   #12

This is not the U.K. it is the states, this is the best show...

Ribs are in a minority relative to power boats but usually there are about 40 to fifty on display by different manufacturers, as far as that goes Nautica's manufacturing facility is in Pembroke Pines (North Miami) so you can always head over there to check out their full line of ribs as well. If you are uncertain you can always contact the boat show management and find out how many rib manufacturers are going to be exhibiting prior to the show. They usually have a pretty nice display of boats at the convention ctr. You also cannot beat Miami for the variety of gear, acessories, electronics, or god knows what else for boats, they pretty much have it all, I will debate that with anyone. I Personally have sea trialed quite a few ribs in South Florida, up to 36 ft., but then I was very acquainted with the folks at Nautica so my situation may be a little different than that of the average attendee.