Old 19 June 2016, 15:26   #1

Town: Glousta
Length: 7m +
Bayliner with tubes

I have a zodiac 650 defender pro that is just over a year old. It is the work or law enforcement model and is supposed to be tough. All I can say is this is the poorest put together boat I have ever seem. The leaning post seat has broken twice. The lift handles are coming unglued. Today we can home in moderate seas (3 ft ish) and the rear passenger seat collapsed. There were very two light passengers sitting on it and this put us in a tough spot with people flying around with me having to pay attention to driving the boat. The poor quality make what should be a very safe boat a hazard on the water. Shame on Zodiac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	113953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2117.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	113954  

Old 19 June 2016, 17:04   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Send it back and get your money back not fit for purpose
Old 19 June 2016, 17:13   #3
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm sure that one of those passengers, um, slightly injured themselves? Might help in the decision making?
Old 20 June 2016, 05:22   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
And the quicker the better!
PLENTY of Research on RIBs is NEVER wasted time!..
Many of the problems encountered on here are avoidable,with a bit of time spent trawling the threads,comments,and members previous experiences.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2016, 08:32   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I know that part. Looks like you have the 300 lb limit version.

Here's the 500 lb limit version:
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Line-.../dp/B002IV8J66
Old 20 June 2016, 08:40   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Both those look like joke fittings - suitable for use while stationary but hopeless for a seat underway. I note they call them table supports...
Old 20 June 2016, 08:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Both those look like joke fittings - suitable for use while stationary but hopeless for a seat underway. I note they call them table supports...
A hinge is a hinge. It's all about the engineering of the part. Clearly, the limitation is the two crossbars. On the 500 lb version, there are stampings to increase the rigidity of the component.

Even if we assumed Seadog built to a 2:1 safety ratio (which is on the low side, most manufacturers chase a 3:1 or 5:1), that would put even the light duty hinges at 600 lb capacity. Then, we'll assume the load is divided evenly amongst both hinges, so we'll times this by two. Meaning, the hinges would have had to seen in excess of 1200 lb of loading to fail.

I'm a geek though. I like simple math. And overbuilding things.

We COULD take the kg weight of his passengers, total cubic centimeters occupied by their butts, approximate seating position (sitting close to the edge will act like a lever to multiply the forces involved), and the approximate height in which the passengers jammed their butts down on the seat to calculate the total dynamic loading on the hinges...
Old 20 June 2016, 09:19   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I'm a geek though. I like simple math. And overbuilding things.

We COULD take the kg weight of his passengers, total cubic centimeters occupied by their butts, approximate seating position (sitting close to the edge will act like a lever to multiply the forces involved), and the approximate height in which the passengers jammed their butts down on the seat to calculate the total dynamic loading on the hinges...
You can factor in a prolonged period of their butts falling to meet a rising seat as well. That seat was beaten into submission.
Old 20 June 2016, 09:26   #9

Town: Glousta
Length: 7m +
To be clear the poor quality Zodiacs are North American models that I believe are made in South Carolina. The problem is not only the cheap hardware used but the method of attachment. The seat that failed is only held down by six sheet metal screws going into a relatively light fiberglass panel. There are no through bolts or backing plate. The same method of attachment is used through out the boat. For example, the windshield keeps loosening up. There are also electrical problems. The wiring harness was made for a boat with a different light setup. Zodiac solved this problem with breakaway connections in wet places.
All these things can be fixed and repaired to make a durable boat. I however was looking for, and paid a steep price for, a turn key boat for daily transport to an island house. The products Zodiac puts out from their US factory doesn't meet this basic mark.
Old 20 June 2016, 09:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog View Post
To be clear the poor quality Zodiacs are North American models that I believe are made in South Carolina. The problem is not only the cheap hardware used but the method of attachment. The seat that failed is only held down by six sheet metal screws going into a relatively light fiberglass panel. There are no through bolts or backing plate. The same method of attachment is used through out the boat. For example, the windshield keeps loosening up. There are also electrical problems. The wiring harness was made for a boat with a different light setup. Zodiac solved this problem with breakaway connections in wet places.
All these things can be fixed and repaired to make a durable boat. I however was looking for, and paid a steep price for, a turn key boat for daily transport to an island house. The products Zodiac puts out from their US factory doesn't meet this basic mark.
It doesn't look like the screws gave way? I tend to prefer thru-bolting myself as well, but from a manufacturing and engineering perspective, it is not always required.

I know Zodiac's wiring harnesses, I've got a lot of firsthand experience with the Pro Opens over the years (They're still one of my favorite RIBs on the market)... For their SC origin boats, I know they're using 100% ABYC approved wiring, so it should be all color-coded, tinned wiring, heat-shrinked, and the IP-rated Deustch connectors? I know they use bullet connectors for the bow light (to make the tube removable), but that's the only spot I know of a breakaway connection off-hand.