Old 15 December 2006, 09:17   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Do you guys ever feel guilty about the amount of fuel you suck?

Not guilty, but I do try to be prudent/conscienscious about minimizing the amount pollution I may create.

Old 15 December 2006, 13:45   #12

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I think that storm has knocked out a server I use. Apparently the Power company won't do any repair work to get the power back on until the winds have died down. Hope its quick.

Old 15 December 2006, 18:24   #13

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
hi guys, based on the info that we have available to us, you better get used to it.
What with USA walking away from kyoto and China only getting started, there will be worse on the way, at least.

Better get cabins on the ribs, Nick Hern is the clever one with cabin, beds galley, gin_+T you know...

well the beast has passed. 114mph on an exposed headland on the central oregon coast. lots of damage, 250,000 homes without power, but most importantly no major injuries.

you are right aidan. the U.S. wants everything on it's own terms to ensure profits which in turn buy sweet weapons. we ARE sloowly making progress though (mainly because willy nelson told us to use biodiesel) what's even more scary is that china is just getting started and i don't think they are too concerned about the environment. it's possible the last yangtze river dolphin may have ended up on president Hu Jintau's dinner plate. mmm, dolphin.
Old 15 December 2006, 19:32   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hu's plate?
Old 15 December 2006, 19:52   #15

i dig the who's Hu humor pt. he's the man roll'n in the fake nikes.
Old 15 December 2006, 20:28   #16

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Hi Do Columbia chop

Yeah China is only kick starting its motor, they have shown what I can only call a "reluctance" to join in on this save the world. Perhaps they can start with Tianaman Sq and an apology to their own people and we can take it from there.

Wit regard to you guys in USA, you really have to start reading news papers from places that are not financed from some "obscure Budget".
Try the "Irish Times". It is suitably right of centre, but it will look radically left from some of your papers point of view.

Point is, "if you are kept in the dark and fed shite, you may as well call yourself a mushroom"

There is a light at the end of the tunnel now, I hope that Mr. Baker has the balls for the job now that Donny got a job on a "shrimp Boat"

anyway glad that storm is over for you....
Old 16 December 2006, 03:41   #17

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Saw the news reports, and a couple of friends up that way are reporting that they're currently on the candle and firewood routine.

Hope all's well with anyone affected;

jky
Old 16 December 2006, 05:07   #18

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
This morning's online news has over a million people without power in Washington and Oregon. No estimates provided for North of the border.

I assume the power companies will see some help from outside the region to get it all back up again. When folk question me about the "terror" of hurricanes we have down here I always tell them that it ain't the storm, it's the aftermath with no power for days, weeks or longer, no phone and all your stuff trashed, that hurts.

Best of luck up there!

Tomas
Old 16 December 2006, 05:20   #19

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Yeah China is only kick starting its motor, they have shown what I can only call a "reluctance" to join in on this save the world. Perhaps they can start with Tianaman Sq and an apology to their own people and we can take it from there.

Wit regard to you guys in USA, you really have to start reading news papers from places that are not financed from some "obscure Budget".
Try the "Irish Times". It is suitably right of centre, but it will look radically left from some of your papers point of view.

Point is, "if you are kept in the dark and fed shite, you may as well call yourself a mushroom"

There is a light at the end of the tunnel now, I hope that Mr. Baker has the balls for the job now that Donny got a job on a "shrimp Boat"

anyway glad that storm is over for you....
Thanks for your guidance. I especially value advice from Ireland given your spotless record of civility and governance. By the way...it would be a Mr. Gates, not a Mr. Baker that has the job and Donny can go screw himself.
Old 16 December 2006, 11:44   #20

you know gates is on to something great when warren buffet (second richest man in the world) pledges to donate the bulk of his wealth to his foundation when he dies. the west may have dented the ozone with our big suv's but we are also some of the most generous people in the world. just ask one of the millions of aids victims in africa for example.

back to the storm...

thanks for the kind words. yes still a couple hundred thousand without power!
at least we had very few deaths and injuries. i think we were lucky.