Old 30 December 2014, 08:01   #21

Town: Mountain View, CA
Boat name: Six Park
Make: True Kit
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6
What do you guys think about this one:

2003 Nautica 18' Widebody Rigid Hull Inflatable - $17995 (sausalito)
2003 Nautica 18' Widebody Rigid Hull Inflatable
Old 30 December 2014, 15:49   #22

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
That looks like a nice clean boat that should last. If you are serious about buying it, go on a sea trial. Let us know if you need any help looking at it, there's a few of us in the area that should be willing to help you look at a used boat.

I think it's good that you're looking at something in that size, I bet if you got a 14 or 15 foot rib you will want to upgrade right away... At least that's what happened with me.
Old 30 December 2014, 16:17   #23

Not sure if I want a used boat yet, but I have upped my budget and target length. Maybe a new Zodiac Pro Classic 550 ... for about $30k

Seriously, what would you say if someone asks, "what? you spend $30k on a rubber boat!"
Old 30 December 2014, 19:07   #24

The peace of mind of a brand-new boat is always good. Im sure you will find something. I think the best value would be a solid used hull with a new/newish motor. I have seen A bunch of those Zodiac 550s at the yacht club in SF, they look real nice. Let us know how your search goes and good luck!
Old 30 December 2014, 21:10   #25

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
That Nautica has been proven to be ocean worthy! Appears to be a nice ride. Go meet the owner at the docks and go for a ride. If he launches at the pay site not one of the public offer to pay the fees upfront. There is a free launch ramp in Sausalito, and of course Horse Shoe Cove IF the tides are right for a boat that size.
Old 31 December 2014, 05:26   #26

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_fisher View Post
Not sure if I want a used boat yet, but I have upped my budget and target length. Maybe a new Zodiac Pro Classic 550 ... for about $30k

Seriously, what would you say if someone asks, "what? you spend $30k on a rubber boat!"

I'd say you were $15K short of what I paid.

jky
Old 02 January 2015, 18:20   #27

Saw this on craigslist. The boat is in Sacramento

New 13Ft Duras Rib

It's only 13ft, but the $2900 price already includes the steering console, seat and engine controls. The dealer says that the console itself is $1200.

From the picture it looks like it can seat 4 people (very cozy). There are some wires behind the seat. Will it be possible to stand there (carefully) and fish without tripping or damaging the wires?
Old 02 January 2015, 18:40   #28

If there is room, theres no problem standing there. It only looks a bit sloppy because its all loose rigging. Once you get the motor on, you can arrange the loom out of the way. Keep in mind the motor will be there so there will be less space than you think.

Looks like a good starter boat.
Old 02 January 2015, 20:02   #29

I did some googling and it looks like Duras is marketed as Tohatsu in the UK:

IN STOCK NOW TOHATSU 4.2M Rib with 40hp RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Devon, South West :: Boats and Outboards

Not sure what their reputation is, but the price is quite good.
Old 02 January 2015, 20:04   #30

By the way, will a 3 year old boy will safe in such a boat? I.e., how easy would it be for him to fall out of the boat. Is there a way to tie him down safely and comfortable?
Old 03 January 2015, 01:33   #31

Safety will be dependent on the captain. Just keep it slow and make sure you choose days when the water is smooth. I have had a 3 year old and a 1 year out on the bay. No seat belts or straps, just make sure they have something solid to hold onto (no sitting on the tubes and holding the lifeline).

Not sure if you are OK with used but here are some decent deals down in So Cal.
Nautica 14' Yacht Tender - RIB - $4000 (San Pedro)

http://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/4790008210.html

They are Hypalon so it might even last longer than the new Duras.
Old 03 January 2015, 08:47   #32

You don't want any live thing (kid, dog, well, maybe a mother-in-law - dunno) tied into the boat. You want them loose if it happens to overturn.

The advantage of buying lightly used is just like a car - you miss the initial depreciation hit.

jky
Old 03 January 2015, 09:14   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
You don't want any live thing (kid, dog, well, maybe a mother-in-law - dunno) tied into the boat. You want them loose if it happens to overturn.
This is the generally accepted school of thought but there is an alternative logic discussed here before: if you are in conditions where a capsize is likely you shouldn't have toddlers with you, and the risk of injury from slips and bumps in routine use is potentially greater. Very common on rag and stick boats to tie children down! Each skipper needs to make his own assessment.
Old 04 January 2015, 01:53   #34

Town: San Diego
Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
thinking about selling my searider this winter. take a look at my past post and see if it strikes your fancy. im in San Diego so it might be a bit of a drive.
Old 04 January 2015, 18:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Very common on rag and stick boats to tie children down! Each skipper needs to make his own assessment.
Second point, granted. On the first, most blow boats have a cabin, and less of a "tub" on the deck (at least larger blow boats.)

jky
Old 04 January 2015, 18:38   #36
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
[QUOTE=jyasaki;661845]On the first, most blow boats have a cabin,[/QUOTE ] does that make kids tied in the cockpit more likely to serve an unexpected capsize? I'm not recommending it, but the reason everyone says no, seems very unlikely to me with responsible helmsmanship and parenting
Quote:
and less of a "tub" on the deck (at least larger blow boats.)
??
Old 04 January 2015, 21:38   #37

What do you guys think about this one?

1998 Avon Boat

Is it an Avon Searider? What should I pay attention to when looking at the boat?

I am thinking of adding a new 30hp suzuki (160lb). With such an engine, should I get a jockey seat, or will a standing console be OK?
Old 05 January 2015, 01:45   #38
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
bigger is better

I just sold my 14 foot Novurania, and now shopping for my next, bigger rib.

My boat was perfect for cruising around the bay, and calm conditions in the ocean.

I am one of those people that is stupid enough to own multiple boats, and this boat was the latest edition to my fleet.

The main reason I bought this boat was so I could go to Catalina Island and park on the dinghy docks. 14 feet is maximum length, so this boat was perfect.

I now realize after making the 37.5 mile crossing from Dana Point to Avalon Harbor a dozen times or so, that I was pretty lucky, or stupid. After logging 1000 plus miles on these trips I got stuck in small craft advisory coming back a few times, and it was a little spooky.

If you have any desire to go out in to the ocean, or in San Francisco Bay in less than perfect conditions, bigger is better.

I am now looking at 7M Willard or Zodiac type boats.

Good luck to you.
Old 05 January 2015, 03:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_fisher View Post
What do you guys think about this one?

1998 Avon Boat

Is it an Avon Searider? What should I pay attention to when looking at the boat?

I am thinking of adding a new 30hp suzuki (160lb). With such an engine, should I get a jockey seat, or will a standing console be OK?
Its not a Searider. Price is ok if the seller is negotiable, since it comes with a trailer. Jockey is the way to go for comfort/safety but it takes a lot of deck space. You can do a small console and sit on your cooler. Look for any leaks with some soapy water. Look for any fiberglass damage or water damage. It should be easy to inspect if its on the trailer.

Here is the small Todd console I put on my old SIB. The console has a nice rail on top. It was probably solid enough to lift the whole boat up from the console.

Good luck as you continue with the search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2482_zps568fba1b.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	102029  
Old 05 January 2015, 04:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
I just sold my 14 foot Novurania, and now shopping for my next, bigger rib.

My boat was perfect for cruising around the bay, and calm conditions in the ocean.

I am one of those people that is stupid enough to own multiple boats, and this boat was the latest edition to my fleet.

The main reason I bought this boat was so I could go to Catalina Island and park on the dinghy docks. 14 feet is maximum length, so this boat was perfect.

I now realize after making the 37.5 mile crossing from Dana Point to Avalon Harbor a dozen times or so, that I was pretty lucky, or stupid. After logging 1000 plus miles on these trips I got stuck in small craft advisory coming back a few times, and it was a little spooky.

If you have any desire to go out in to the ocean, or in San Francisco Bay in less than perfect conditions, bigger is better.

I am now looking at 7M Willard or Zodiac type boats.

Good luck to you.
Good advice. I remember when I started out with a 13' SIB, I would always be checking the wind/water/tides. I hated it in the summer when it was windy on the bay. Then I got a SR4 and felt like king of the bay, but some trips outside of the golden gate bridge were a bit hairy. Then once I got the 20' SRMN, it was ribbing time any day.

I just googled it... That's quite a trip, Dana Point to Avalon Harbor. How much fuel did you carry/use on your rib? The only trip I have done like that up here is SF bay to the Farallones, but its only about 30 miles and there's no stopping on there.

There's a Hurricane 590 on eBay (located in Sac) right now with a BIY of 21K. Not a 733 but it is easily towable and very seaworthy.

Tags
rib