Old 09 February 2015, 23:35   #1

Anchor/mooring questions

Hello all,

I am the very happy new owner of a 2011 18' Nautica Widebody. Maiden voyage was in 8 to 10 foot seas with quite a bit of chop....any question I've ever had as to the performance and sheer capability of a RIB were immediately answered. I was blown away, quite frankly. Anyway....you'll all forgive the praise, she is my first.

So....to my question...going to be diving and spear-fishing off the boat. Looking for some guidance on anchor/chain/rode length, etc etc. Depths will likely be 30-50ft range, conditions will vary. Bow locker is spacious. Anchor will be attached at the tow point on the bow...I think?? Grabbing a Mooring??

The nautica has very nice aft cleats, none on the bow. Very stout tow point (hull) as well as lift hook (in the bow).

Forgive the newbie questions....my excuse is only that I'm a newbie

Thank you all!!

Berti Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1423528526.656407.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	102845Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1423528552.636707.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	102846
Old 10 February 2015, 08:31   #2

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Four times depth if all chain, six times depth if chain to start with then warp.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2015, 13:56   #3

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
This works for me for diving:

A GOOD anchor that works well in the bottom conditions you will likely encounter diving.

A boat length of heavy chain on the anchor.

Sufficient rode (rope) for a 3:1 to 6:1 scope, depending on conditions.

My current setup: A Rocna anchor, 20 ft of chain and 150 feet of rode (Nylon three strand). Shackle bolts are secured with Monel wire or tie wraps.

Some may argue with the length of the rode, but if conditions require more, it is a situation where you should be using a live boat, instead of anchoring. I also have 250 feet of rode in a rope bag that I can toss in the boat if I think we will need to anchor a bit deeper.

What didn't work: Bruce anchor, short(er) section of chain. I found several times that the Bruce, even with long scopes, would just drag and never really set in a sand or gravel bottom. (That's a bonus of being a diver, you can actually _watch_ your anchor performing.) That led to researching anchors and getting the Rocna.

If you can set up a bow roller it will make pulling the anchor much easier and save wear and tear on your tubes. If not, I would suggest buying some sort of locking hook that you can tie the rode to on deck and then lean out to clip the hook to the bow eye. Of course, the bitter end of the rode is always tied to the boat.
Old 10 February 2015, 15:24   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I'm running an 18' RIB, my ground tackle is an 8# Danforth knock-off (West Marine), something like 15' of 5/16" chain, and 400' of 3/8" 3-strand nylon rode.

In the hull, I've got a Bruce type copy (about 5 or 6 ls, I think), with 15 or so feet of 1/4" chain and 250 feet of twisted 3-strand. Another 200' length of rope to extend it or for use as a tow rope. Bitter end clipped to a large eye bolt in the locker, and has a float in case I need to pick up a wayward diver or deal with some other emergency (throw everything over and come back to retrieve later.)

One piece of advice while diving in any kind of wind, swell, or chop: Always, always go down the anchor line and check the set. Hand reset the hook if required. Does 2 things: makes sure the anchor line will be there when you get back, and ensures that you won't have to do an unplanned second dive to retrieve it (I realize that may not be possible while freediving, but still...)

jky
Old 10 February 2015, 18:13   #5

Thank you all, that's exactly the insight I was looking for. There is an upper and lower tow bolt on the bow, either preferable for the bitter end attachment?

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the line, but thanks again for the quick feedback!!

Just got in from playing in the swell off playa vista, I've got a grin from ear to ear!

B-
Old 10 February 2015, 20:27   #6

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
Good info, I needed to get a proper anchor too. Off to West Marine I go.
Old 10 February 2015, 20:55   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
As stated the bottom substrate dictates which type of anchors will be best. The Bruce and Danforth anchors are well rounded, and as suggested a plow can be a great anchor. Heavy-ish chain the length of the boat at least. 20' is a nice round number. 300' minimum, but 400' would be better. We often anchor in 100ft to dive pinnacles etc. Do remember someone gets to hand pull this weight up from 100' too, so you don't want to be too overkill.

Also carry a buoy for clipping the bitter end of the anchor line too in case you need to leave your anchor behind. The bitter end otherwise can stay clipped off inside the anchor locker. My buoy happens to also be my current line buoy with 100' of poly line. Although I rarely use the current line.

(Some type of small electronic rescue device could be a lifesaver whether you are in the boat, or wishing you were in it.)
Old 11 February 2015, 21:44   #8

I'll be diving most frequently off Palos Verde, Paradise Cove, and out at Catalina.

Out of town for a couple of days and then I'll put the kit together. Thanks again all for sharing your experience! Fair warning....won't be the last time!!

B-
Old 12 February 2015, 02:42   #9

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrtranq View Post
I'll be diving most frequently off Palos Verde, Paradise Cove, and out at Catalina.

Out of town for a couple of days and then I'll put the kit together. Thanks again all for sharing your experience! Fair warning....won't be the last time!!

B-
My neck of the the world... If you're around the San Pedro/Wilmington areas there are a few independent chandlers and shop supply places which are likely cheaper than West Marine.

SDG
Old 12 February 2015, 18:23   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
West Marine is not exactly inexpensive, but they do have a pretty good customer service program. My beef with them is going with their self-branded items, which are generally of just-good-enough (or worse) quality.

jky
Old 12 February 2015, 18:25   #11

Agreed...tempting though it is, I tend to stay away from much of their branded items!
Old 14 April 2015, 01:59   #12

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
The nice thing about anchoring while diving, is that you can check the anchor placement and (at least in my case, where we are generally anchoring into rocks...) you can wedge the anchor so that it can't move at all. As long as you remember to free it before you go up, Bob's yer Uncle...

Having said that, I rarely.. RARELY... anchor and leave the boat unattended. Call me a chicken-sh!t, but I hate long swims in dive gear!

Years ago, just as I got back to the anchor, the line parted and the boat stated moving. The line had gone slack, wrapped under a rock and chafed through, just above the chain. I caught the line in my hand, but lesson learned!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote