Old 02 October 2015, 08:57   #11
Town: Northern California
Make: Zodiac SRMN600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2013 Honda 90
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
As previously said you will get the snot pounded out of you. A rib would be much better for your usage. Be careful what you buy. There are some good deals on used ribs around from time to time .
What would be some of the brands to avoid?

ddgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2015, 09:27   #12
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 100hp
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I'll disagree with this to an extent.

If you get a day with little wind but largish swell, a SIB will handle that fine. Large rollers aren't a problem, it's the chop that kills you.

That said, it's a fairly rare day on the west coast without any chop, and a 20 mile run is fairly substantial.

Personally, I'd be looking more in the 15-19 foot RIB range. It will be *much* more pleasant should the weather turn, and still be small/light enough to launch and recover solo (with a bit of practice.) And in truth, the rigid hull makes centering on the trailer easier than a flat bottomed SIB when working alone, all other things being equal. Harder to store, heavier than what you're thinking, but a lot more practical.

Where are you looking at launching from?

I guess I should have specified that the wave duration has a lot to do with it as well. If the duration is quite large, then it's just like riding up and down a lot of small hills. However, you eventually reach the point where you're "throttle up, throttle down, throttle up, throttle down, throttle up, throttle down" for miles, in order to prevent ramping off the peak of one wave and plowing the next.

The lack of weight on a SIB is a both a blessing and a curse.

Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote