Click Here to Login

Old 16 October 2012, 22:20   #1

Town: Mike Nelsons Home Town
Boat name: FF CUP
Make: Northport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
7 Meter Differences; Willard, Nortport, zodiac

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the US Navy 7MRB RHIBs made by Willard, Zodiac and Nortport? Are they all the exact same hull? or are there differences? Inquiring minds

Thanks,

Tim
Old 17 October 2012, 01:31   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Search is your friend. See post by Terryinvictoria:
http://www.rib.net/forum/f45/how-do-...eas-33519.html

-Basically, Terry is saying Willard bought the mold from Zodiac.
-I don't know specifically where Northport got their mold but I've seen Willards & Northports next to each other and it's hard to tell the difference.
-Otech built 7m ribs for the Navy for a while too. Different hull. Very few are out and owned by the public. Note the different hull shape:
http://www.rib.net/forum/members/118...cture1148.html
http://www.rib.net/forum/members/118...cture1153.html
Otech's can't use commonly found Zodiac/Willard tubes
Old 18 October 2012, 11:55   #3

Town: Mike Nelsons Home Town
Boat name: FF CUP
Make: Northport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
I had read that about the connection between Zodiac and Willard, that set of pictures of the OTECH was pretty cool, never realized there are only three of them. I recall a comment by warefarerib that northport got the contract from willard and subsequently went broke trying to meet the contract. Thanks for the reply,

Tim
Old 21 October 2012, 02:38   #4

Town: San Clemente
Boat name: Scotty D
Make: Cabo 35' Express
Length: 10m +
Engine: 3208 Cat Diesels
I just picked up a 2002 Otech 7m with 2010 skins and a 2006 Cummins 6bt motor with 283 hours. A little wash and check of the motor is next on the list. Should know late next week. Anyone know what top end is with that 180hp motor and any pitfalls of that hull design. I hear they can hook quiet easy.
Old 21 October 2012, 05:10   #5
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadBurke
I just picked up a 2002 Otech 7m with 2010 skins and a 2006 Cummins 6bt motor with 283 hours. A little wash and check of the motor is next on the list. Should know late next week. Anyone know what top end is with that 180hp motor and any pitfalls of that hull design. I hear they can hook quiet easy.
Ah, you got the Otech. Russell said you got a Willard. As I said above (based on conversations with "johndoe0007" who got one last year), yours makes #5 owned by the public. He's done some research on the hull. Send him a pm. Definitely different hull than the Zodiac's & Willards. I can't speak to their performance because I've never been on one. And, you can't compare performance to johndoe's because he dropped a Yanmar 315 in his.

Top end of a Willard or Northport @180hp & 2600 rpm should be around 35 mph with a 17 1/4 x 23 stainless prop. Again, they all run differently. I've heard someone say they hit 38 mph momentarily with the stock 19 pitch aluminum prop (don't know the rpm)
Old 21 October 2012, 11:19   #6

Town: Fort Lauderdale
Make: Fluid 10.6m
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x Mercury 300hp
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiboyd
Navy 7m

Top speed is around 35mph

Here are two new Zodiac 7m's, sea trailing in Annapolis before delivery

Zodiac Navy 7m - YouTube
https://www.siroccomarine.com
kiwiboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 14:21   #7

Town: San Clemente
Boat name: Scotty D
Make: Cabo 35' Express
Engine: 3208 Cat Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Ah, you got the Otech. Russell said you got a Willard. As I said above (based on conversations with "johndoe0007" who got one last year), yours makes #5 owned by the public. He's done some research on the hull. Send him a pm. Definitely different hull than the Zodiac's & Willards. I can't speak to their performance because I've never been on one. And, you can't compare performance to johndoe's because he dropped a Yanmar 315 in his.

Top end of a Willard or Northport @180hp & 2600 rpm should be around 35 mph with a 17 1/4 x 23 stainless prop. Again, they all run differently. I've heard someone say they hit 38 mph momentarily with the stock 19 pitch aluminum prop (don't know the rpm)
Thanks for the info. I am new to the RIB scene but have been very deep with Boston Whaler CPD Guardians in the past. I thought what I got was a Willard, according to the description but I guess I should have paid closer attention to the dash placard. I plan to crane it out and onto a trailer later next week and then it off to my diesel guy for a run thru to make sure all is well. I will post some performance #s soon. How are guys getting fuel burn #? Flowscan or ????

Thanks

Shad
Old 21 October 2012, 16:42   #8
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadBurke View Post
I thought what I got was a Willard, according to the description but I guess I should have paid closer attention to the dash placard. How are guys getting fuel burn #? Flowscan or ????
Your auction description says:
"PROPULSION: CUMMINS 6BT5.9-210 INBOARD DIESEL ENGINE"

You may actually have a 210. I think that the only way to tell would be to have the fuel injection pump pulled off and tested (but I'm not expert). There's a possibility that a Cummins dealer could look up your engine you can actually find a serial number (I can't on mine).

I've always calculated fuel burn based on the factory Cummins curves. I know mine is at 210 because I've had the pump rebuilt when I had my injectors cleaned/rebuilt. I know people with the 180 getting the same performance numbers as I am because we're using the same prop. So, technically, with 30 more hp, I could try to go up another inch in pitch...too expensive. I'm happy where I'm at.

As for flowscan for diesel, I have purchased anything like this because: (1) They are much more expensive than gas fuel burn sensors (either the NMEA ones or stand alone Flowscan and (2) I heard that diesel ones aren't as accurate anyways because they have to calculate fuel used less fuel returned. Maybe it's just a calibration thing and you have to be very detailed about it....either way, I don't know if anyone that put one on a Navy 7m RIB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6BT 180 HP MCD Aug 04.pdf (100.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf 6BT 210 Power Curve- Nov 00.pdf (65.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 21 October 2012, 19:13   #9

Town: New York City
Boat name: T/T Something Bigger
Make: Bollinger 6MAvon 5.4
Engine: TJohnson75hp/Y90
Shad and I spoke at length... Happy to help anyway I can... I think he should pull the engine and drop in another Yanmar. That way I am not waiting too long for him at the bar...
Old 21 October 2012, 20:43   #10
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Your auction description says:
As for flowscan for diesel, I have purchased anything like this because...
I meant HAVEN'T, but you probably figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe007 View Post
I think he should pull the engine and drop in another Yanmar.
I'm voting reconditioned Cummins 6BTA315 or 6BTA370 with a 17 1/4 x 25. With 10% prop slip, the 370hp @3000rpm should do 45mph! And, they're not too expensive!

There's these guys:
Pricing

And I heard a 370 from Cummins with 2 year warranty is $16,000 (not that I have that kind of money to throw at my boat to get an increase of 9mph!!!!)

Old 22 October 2012, 02:57   #11
ncp

Otech

I wonder what engine Otech was putting in? The spec sheets says "Cummins 6-cyl 234 hp".

Also, BOA, it says 9'6. Willards are only 9'0.

7m MILITARY