Old 20 August 2011, 23:06   #1

Town: Kauai, Hawaii
Boat name: ???
Make: zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin suzuki 140's
6M Avon Searider project

Just picked up a 6m avon searider, rare find for out here. So far really impressed with the construction and quality of the searider "solid". Plan to completely strip it down, re-tube, re-power (twin 90 mercury 2 stroke elpto's if I can find another one, or twin 115 optimax's), 30" aluminum transom extension bracket, cut the deck to install a aluminum fuel tank (thanks to "ProjectAvon2010" for posting all those pic's), re-gelcoat or paint hull. Yes very big project but excited to get started, really curious to see how this searider performs compared to our 733 hurricane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	1946
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	61817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	61818  
Old 23 August 2011, 20:17   #2

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Engine: Yanmar
Nice project. Did I see that for sale on craigslist? I'd definitely be interested in knowing how it handles compared to your 733. I have a 6m searider as well, and I would possibly be looking to upgrade to a 733 eventually. Your tubes look like they are in pretty good condition. Why retube?
Old 23 August 2011, 21:52   #3

Town: Kauai, Hawaii
Boat name: ???
Make: zodiac hurricane
Engine: twin suzuki 140's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gstnj View Post
Nice project. Did I see that for sale on craigslist? I'd definitely be interested in knowing how it handles compared to your 733. I have a 6m searider as well, and I would possibly be looking to upgrade to a 733 eventually. Your tubes look like they are in pretty good condition. Why retube?
Yes it was on craigslist, I've never seen a searider out here in hawaii. The tubes are real brittle due to the age of the boat "1983". I think it's best to replace the tubes with a brand new set from Paul Tilley or Henshaw, to limit down time of constantly repairing old tubes, also since I'm doing a full refurb.

The searider seems to have a deeper V than the hurricane. But I'm guessing the hurricane will ride better due to the length being longer and heavier. I think by adding a 30" stand off box and installing the fuel tank below deck will definitly improve the ride of the searider.

How do you like your searider?