Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet North America
Click Here to Login

Old 30 March 2008, 17:04   #1

Town: Vancouver, BC
Make: Hopefully a Polaris
Length: no boat
4.5m - 5.5m RIB wanted in Pacific NW of Canada

Hey,

I know this might be a long shot on a UK based forum, but I've been lurking on this site for awhile and found so much good info, that I thought it would be worth a shot.

I'm looking for my first RIB. I'd like something that I could move 3-4 people with and gear for a weekend of camping, kitesurfing and general exploring. I dont need to have something huge, but I'd like to be able to cross the Straight of Georgia and feel safe (course I guess everyone has difference opinions of what is safe). I'd like something with decent power and good reliabilty. This is a starter RIB for me, so part of this exercise is to get out on the water and get to know what I really want and need.

Thanks for any help or tips

Todd
Old 31 March 2008, 01:54   #2

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: 19VST
Make: AB
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130HP Honda
4.5m - 5.5m RIB wanted in Pacific NW of Canada

Hey Todd,

I'd go with a bigger RIB to cross the Straight. If the weather changes you might have a lot of "fun" coming back. It's possible but depending on the passengers on board, they'll probably love the thrill or never boat again :-) A RIB is definetely the way to go in any case!

Best thing to do is to go out one a windy/choppy day and you'll see what a large RIB makes all the difference in Vancouver.

I'd go for a 18' (6m) something like http://www.canadianinflatables.com/nautica18/
Based out of Vancouver but catering to anyone in the Pacific Northwest.

Cheers

RigidHull
Old 31 March 2008, 04:22   #3

Thanks for the tip. I forgot to mention that the boat will be trailered more the 50% of the time over to the West Coast of Vancouver Island, along some pretty gnarly logging roads. So, I'd like to keep the setup as light as possible.
Old 07 April 2008, 04:00   #4

Town: sidney b.c.
Make: Hurricand 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 225
Have i got a boat for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish View Post
Thanks for the tip. I forgot to mention that the boat will be trailered more the 50% of the time over to the West Coast of Vancouver Island, along some pretty gnarly logging roads. So, I'd like to keep the setup as light as possible.
Hi, I live in sidney vancouver island. I have a zodiac pro 550 open for sale. I have modified this boat for the west coast as i do a couple of weeks a year at Cape Scott and Brooks penninsula. This is not your typical Zodiac pro. I put a pod on it with a Suzuki 140 4 stroke. 2 fuel tanks below deck and a 3rd that bolts to the floor. This gives you a range of approx 250 miles. I took this boat around Vancover island with no problems. Let me know if you are interested. My email is blackrupert@hotmail.com
Old 08 April 2008, 04:46   #5

I've seen your boat advertised in a couple of places, looks like a great boat, but unfortunately it is out of my price range right now. It is something that I'd like to end up with in a few years.

Thanks.
Old 12 April 2008, 04:01   #6

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: 19VST
Make: AB
Engine: 130HP Honda
Quote:
I see what you mean. A heavy RIB on a tandem axle trailer going on that windy road to Long Beach/Tofino. Not for me either!

This one seems light - Novurania RIB 15' 460DL :

http://www.canadianinflatables.com/novurania15/

PS The ad mentions "dual MX self actuated trim tabs" (Nauticus MX) What's the advantage of these MX tabs versus the regular SS ones?
Old 15 September 2008, 13:55   #7

Town: victoria
Boat name: mr burns
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60
Bigger Rib would be better (5 m +) but ive made it all over the west coast in my 4.8 m zodiac with 60hp. Brooks, Nootka, Rugged point etc etc. No problems. What you need to ensure is that you get a vessel with a Deep hull to get through all the chop regularily seen on the west coast. If you dont, you will most certainly get beaten.

Also a lighter vessel is a piece of cake to haul out to places like zeballos or fair harbour.

Based on the date of the post, Im sure youve found something that you are looking for. If not, Im certainly looking to sell mine later this fall since Im looking to upgrade...
Old 21 October 2008, 15:29   #8

Town: midland
Boat name: No Name
Make: Crockett McConnell
Engine: Inboard
Rib For sale

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ64032830 Take a look at my Rib for sale, Definitely one of the safest ribs out there unsinkable, Selfrighting equipement, Everything Updated, Jet Drive, I need to Get rid of it as new boat is on its way, I am asking $9900
Old 21 October 2008, 19:01   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I know this might be a long shot on a UK based forum, but I've been lurking on this site for awhile and found so much good info, that I thought it would be worth a shot.
I've moved the thread to the Noth America section as I reckon more of the right people will see it here.

Good luck!

John
Old 22 October 2008, 16:52   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Squish;

Start calling around to manufacturers and resellers in your area. Quite often they can point you towards people who are selling prior purchases.

At the very least, maybe they can suggest a different make that will land within your budget.

Luck;

jky
Old 23 October 2008, 01:55   #11

Town: SoCal- Huntington Beach
Make: Nautica, Henderson30
Engine: 135 V6 Mercury O/B
I was looking for over 2yrs for a good fixer! Then I saw my 18' Nautica on Craigs List. It was a ex Navy RIB in San Diego and got if for next to nothing! You never know what will turn up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA210098[1].jpg
Views:	391
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	38364  
Old 23 October 2008, 02:20   #12

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Have you got a boat & motor weight limit in mind? Also a length limit? Having been on the paved highway from Parkesville-Tofino, I can only imagine what the logging roads would be like. I wouldn't discount a cat-hulled SIB in the 4.7-5.3 m range which will be a fair bit lighter in weight than a RIB of the same length. A Gemini Dive 530 when combined with a 50 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu or Yamaha, would weigh in around 420-500 lbs, depending on the fabric you select.

A friend who operates a 6.6 m (aluminum hulled) zodiac hurricane professionally told me that my 4.7 meter cat-hulled SIB provides a much softer ride in the chop than the hurricane does! I don't know if he just said that to quell any 'bigger boat envy' on my part, but I was very surprised to hear that. You could check one out yourself by contacting Rob at http://www.racing-inflatables.com/diving.htm. He is based in Parkesville and could arrange a test ride.
Old 23 October 2008, 10:12   #13

Gemini manufacturer website: http://www.gemini-marine.com/ Another Gemini dealer based in Vancouver; http://www.aluminium-ribs.com/en/home/
Old 26 October 2008, 23:04   #14

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Prairie Tuber, I'm after something around 6-7m out here in BC as well.... you seam to know all the manufacturers/dealers.

Who have I missed? I've been to Polaris, will go to Titan in Sidney and have been to Big Island Inflataboats in Nanaimo.

Looking for a 6.5m rib. Hypalon with some protection from the weather...

Thanks

Any internet sellers in Canada?
Old 27 October 2008, 14:15   #15

Hi Screaming04,

Most of my research for my boat purchase was focused on the inflatables & RIBs in the 4 - 5 m range. I'm definitely not as knowledgable as most other members here are about RIBs in the length range you are looking for. There are a handful of members here from BC who are very familiar with the BC based manufacturers of the larger RIBs. Not to put him on the spot, but one fellow that comes to mind is Ocean Eco (he operates a whale watching tour operation out of Cowichan Bay). I have been to the Polaris plant a couple of times, and they are a great bunch who make excellent boats. I have also ridden in a +7 m Titan while whale watching in Tofino, and that was an extremely well built, very heavy duty boat. In addition to Polaris, Titan & Zodiac Hurricane, a couple of other BC based RIB manufacturers that I can think of are Liquid Metal Marine & Hy-Seas.

Here are the Canadian RIB manufacturers that are listed in the http://rib.net/directory/

GRAND MARINE INTERNATIONAL INC

Manta Inflatable Boats

Polaris Inflatable Boats (Canada) Ltd.

Rosborough Boats

Titan Inflatables Ltd.
Old 03 November 2008, 06:49   #16

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Engine: Yamaha F15
check craiglist, I see them in there all the time, in fact thats where I found my 5.4 searider for a great deal.
Old 15 October 2009, 10:56   #17

power kite surfing

Nice! bookmarked it! i will check it later. Thanks very much for sharing

surfingkite is offline   Reply With Quote