Old 19 April 2018, 23:13   #1

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
yamaha multi gauge wiring

Hi
just wanted to check on some of the wires on the multi gauges, the one gauge the tach was pretty straight forward two harness from the outboard, but just wanted to check the remaining five, two i know are for the illumination the black and blue, which leaves yellow,green and black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3120.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	124316  
Old 19 April 2018, 23:23   #2

speed gauge

ok this ones a little more messed up, has im trying to use the original ignition switch already in boat and already has a push choke on the ignition and not the yamaha small panel one which has the ignition, choke, and kill switch separate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	124317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3124.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	124318  
Old 19 April 2018, 23:30   #3

ive worked out the white on the back of the new speed gauge goes to the pink from my fuel tank, the pink wire from my fuel tank was already up at the helm, as the original fuel gauge at the moment is still in the dash, not sure about a purple wire that also goes to the original fuel gauge and i guess black is just negative
Old 19 April 2018, 23:33   #4

the original wires fuel

this is the plug that goes to the original fuel gauge ( bayliner ) one, needle type.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3121.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	124319  
Old 19 April 2018, 23:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
Hi
just wanted to check on some of the wires on the multi gauges, the one gauge the tach was pretty straight forward two harness from the outboard, but just wanted to check the remaining five, two i know are for the illumination the black and blue, which leaves yellow,green and black
i have a feeling the yellow,green and black just link across to the wires coming out the back of the speed gauge
Old 20 April 2018, 07:55   #6

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
i have a feeling the yellow,green and black just link across to the wires coming out the back of the speed gauge
When I did mine, I looked up wiring diagrams on google. Search pics for the wiring diagram and loads come up
Old 20 April 2018, 12:16   #7

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
On the Yamaha side, Yellow is switched 12 volt from ign switch. Green is tacho feed.Black is neg.
On the boat side, Purple is switched 12 volt from ign switch. Black is neg.

On the picture with the fuel gauge on the right you have a yellow wire and a red in the same crimp, this is wrong. The Red needs 12 volt supply from the battery, this is for the 24 hour clock. Its fine the way it is if your not bothered about the time of day!
Old 20 April 2018, 21:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
When I did mine, I looked up wiring diagrams on google. Search pics for the wiring diagram and loads come up
hi there, yes was the first thing i done, thing is theres so many variations and not to sure whether there the same dials even though they look the same, the dials i have, on the one of them it has coloured symbols bottom of the glass screen, and i haven't found an exact match. and just to throw a spanner in the works im trying to link bayliner wires into the equation
Old 20 April 2018, 21:42   #9

hi davie
cheers for that, was going to ask on the 6x3 controller is it easy to set up or use a kill switch other than the one in place on the controller, was thinking i might need to cut wires from inside the controller that go to the kill switch then join on wire and run up to the one i wanted to use at the helm
i plan to order the controller this week by the way ( really good price ) and thanks
Old 20 April 2018, 22:15   #10

If you can’t fit the Yamaha ign switch straight into your dash board connect the Yamaha harness to the following terminals on the back of your bayliner switch. Black to either M. White to the other M. Red to B. Blue to C. Yellow to I. Brown to S. Connect the White and Black from kill switch in parallel to the 2x M on ign switch. The plug with the blue,red,green,black and 2x brown will plug straight into the new control box. Your sorted.
Old 21 April 2018, 21:58   #11

Hi davie, just wanted to check some wires, hope you don't mind.
I ended up using the yamaha ignition in the end, took out the bayliner one and put yam ignition in, also kept the yam kill switch and just drilled a new hole in dash, hid the choke behind dash as i recall last owner never used it.

i had to relocate the lead that goes into the control as it was only inches away from the yamaha panel that ive just strip, last owner had a set up very similar to a rib, everything was within inches of each other. so i just followed suit, and wired in the lead further down the main loom where the new control will be. wired in as followed
Brown wire one going on brown in main loom towards helm, the other brown on the other end going toward outboard. red to red. light blue and light green on light blue and light green coming from outboard direction.and black to black. lead is now in place for control when i get it next week.

lead coming out the back of speedo which as a loose black,green,red,and yellow. fitted to wires ( set up for ) ignition, the plugs all matched.

just wanted to double check where the yellow, black, and green go that come out of the tacho ? i know you mention the yellow is a live switch do i have to connect this up to the ignition barrel yellow to get a live switch ? . i guess the black is just a negative so can i just find a negative and wire into it. and the green you said was tacho feed ( where does that connect to ). i kind of had a feeling these three wires connected to the same colours coming out the speedo gauge as theres wire of the same colour which have been cut

and finally the plug thats on the back of the original bayliner fuel gauge has three wires pink ( which ) i know goes to the fuel tank senders was going to connect this straight to the white wire coming out the back of the yamaha speedo gauge.
theres a black which i guess could just be connected to any black negative, maybe the black also coming out of the speedo gauge . and finally purple, is this required as im not using the bayliner fuel gauge, if its needed what would i connect it to.

sorry for all the questions, i plan on finishing it of tomorrow . big thanks Matt
Old 21 April 2018, 22:15   #12

You should have a harness approx 3 feet long that goes between the tails coming off the ignition switch with a black,red,green and yellow. It has a fuse in the red wire and the yellow. This harness connects the instuments from the ign switch. You will need to fit the choke switch as there is no way this engine will start without a choke. The previous owner must have been pulling out the manual choke on front of engine.
Old 21 April 2018, 22:20   #13

On one of your pics there is a blue with a yellow tracer, join that to the blue wires from each gauge and the instrument lights will come on with the boats steaming lights.
Old 21 April 2018, 22:23   #14

Connect all the blacks together and to the blacks that were already on the back of the dash if you want, this just creates a double/ ring negative loop.
Old 21 April 2018, 23:32   #15

re wires

i havnt disconnected the choke, i just hid it behind the dash, when i went to see the outboard running he just used the throttle switch and lever to get high revs and get it running. i can mount the choke on the dash tomorrow.

im sorry to be a pain, i just want to get this control and get the boat out on the water.
ive done some pics if it any help
Old 21 April 2018, 23:44   #16

re wires

thought these might help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel level set up.jpg
Views:	5142
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	124347   Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition panel.jpg
Views:	1774
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	124348   Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition wires.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	124349   Click image for larger version

Name:	out of speedo gauge.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	124350   Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo wires.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	124351  

Old 22 April 2018, 06:29   #17

1st picture , yes use the pink that should have been on the ‘s terminal of boat fuel gauge.
Old 22 April 2018, 06:35   #18

The plug with the pink and yellow is there to wire up a warning light to dashboard. Wired in parallel with the buzzer you already have. Never fitted on eu engines. Optional extra.
You should have waited before extending harness, control box has a bit wire with it!
Old 22 April 2018, 06:37   #19

Next pic with same wires, connect them to the gauges colour to colour.
Old 22 April 2018, 06:40   #20

Next pic. The green wire comes straight from the wire in pic 3 to the Rev counter, nothing else should be in with this as that’s the pic up from the rectifier for signal to rev counter. The yellow hooked in is wrong.
Yes the blue wire is for lights, take a feed from boat steaming lights for this or use a yellow feed and they will come on with ignition switch.

Tags
yamaha