Old 28 June 2011, 17:06   #1

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
Yamaha Fuel Gauge Calibration

Got caught out at weekend, fuel gauge showed three bars but we ran out of fuel! Is this a known problem? Can it be easily fixed by recalibration? If so, is something that can be performed other than by dealer? I have my doubts that we were that low on fuel as two can loads [approx 45 litre] brought the guage back up to nearly full, so maybe there is a secondary cut-off device!
Old 28 June 2011, 21:03   #2

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Little Mo
Make: Bombard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
Assuming the sender unit in the fuel tank is the float-arm type (240-33 ohm) which I use on my rib which has Yamaha electronic gauges;

The calibration is generally done by setting the length (and sometimes shape) of the control arm on the sender unit to suit the fuel tank.

Assuming the correct sender unit is fitted in the tank in the first place... I would start by checking the electrical connections on the sender unit, if these have corroded then they could cause a false reading on the gauge. (Quick, easy & cheap fix)

It is also possible the sender unit is a little worn or in some way has become damaged and therefore causing the arm to stick and give false readings.

If it’s possible, it may be worthwhile siphoning ALL the fuel out of the tank into jerry cans, and if your tank has a 100L capacity (for arguments sake) then refilling the tank with 25L (quarter full), 50L (half full), etc etc, and seeing if the gauge matches the amount of fuel that is actually in the tank.

Hope this helps

Andy