Old 25 August 2015, 07:01   #21

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Noco View Post
They must have heard/ understood you as in the new brochure they have added "New rotatable grip allows operation of the power trim and tilt switch with the thumb of either hand"

:-)
This is true. It takes 2 min
Old 25 August 2015, 14:49   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
This is what ive described but im not sure Poly gets it! I couldnt make it sound any simpler!
What you described is how to swap the lever (which I have done and "get") - but as Wilfish eloquently points out that gives you a left hand mounted control that still has the switch in the wrong place for your left thumb.
Old 25 August 2015, 15:04   #23

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Well obviously but ya cant have it all your way dude unless you cut the handle and spin the top half 180 degrees which could work!
Old 25 August 2015, 15:17   #24

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Well obviously but ya cant have it all your way dude unless you cut the handle and spin the top half 180 degrees which could work!

Thankfully enough people must of complained and now there's need to go cutting off the handle, Yamaha have only just added this option , it wasn't possible on the older boxes but all new ones have it :-)
Old 25 August 2015, 15:41   #25

Length: 7m +
Going back to the original post no the key should not cut off all power, it should cut the engine off that is it. As there are cicumstances when you may want to tilt the engine or run electrics without engine on. The key should only cut the ignition circuit.
Old 25 August 2015, 16:42   #26

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
When my yamaha 703 tilt and trim switch stopped working I rigged up a separate toggle switch and mounted that on the console.

Stainless steel waterproof (on) off (on) toggle switch.
Wiring on mine was already there as I believe the wiring loom already has spare connections in place as well as the connections to the 703 switch. Three wires, from memory, Blue (up) green (down) other not sure but central position on switch.

The switch on the console can then be placed any side, to what ever thumb you like
I like it better now as it's a straight forward up and down movement.

Also having rigged that up and working, I then had the courage to try and mend the original switch on the 703 handle. To take it all apart involves much hassle and I was reluctant to separate the two halves. Long story short, I just carefully pulled the rocker switch out from the handle in situ, but damaged the plastic waterproof membrane covering, cleaned the switch contacts and bingo it worked again. Gently manipulated switch back in to position and it's been ok now for two years and counting. So now have two switches in case the other stops working.
Old 25 August 2015, 23:27   #27

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
When my yamaha 703 tilt and trim switch stopped working I rigged up a separate toggle switch and mounted that on the console.

Stainless steel waterproof (on) off (on) toggle switch.

Wiring on mine was already there as I believe the wiring loom already has spare connections in place as well as the connections to the 703 switch. Three wires, from memory, Blue (up) green (down) other not sure but central position on switch.

The switch on the console can then be placed any side, to what ever thumb you like

I like it better now as it's a straight forward up and down movement.

Also having rigged that up and working, I then had the courage to try and mend the original switch on the 703 handle. To take it all apart involves much hassle and I was reluctant to separate the two halves. Long story short, I just carefully pulled the rocker switch out from the handle in situ, but damaged the plastic waterproof membrane covering, cleaned the switch contacts and bingo it worked again. Gently manipulated switch back in to position and it's been ok now for two years and counting. So now have two switches in case the other stops working.

Snap :-) only fitted a bypass toggle on-off-on switch to the console this evening, just a chrome one with a rubber boot, where did you get a stainless one? I could give lessons in taking a control box apart at this stage, I spent hours meticulously taking it apart removing all the sand from the moving parts and cleaned the corroded trim switch, put it all back together and tested it all and perfect, until the trim button outer part broke off while the engine was tilting down, couldn't stop it and had to run for a wrench to disconnect the battery, I also fitted a battery isolator today as well, I wouldn't be happy with the kids around, novelty of moving moving the engine up/ down could lead to a tragedy