Old 19 August 2018, 09:24   #41

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I wonder if we do show up on radar,
Edit, just remembered the police at coulport told me last time they pulled me up there they could see me on radar when I asked, not sure they would ever admit to not seeing ofcourse
I expect Coulport's kit might be a tad more sophisticated and better tuned to looking for fast moving targets that might be trying to sneak in "under the RADAR" so to speak... ...what with that being its principle purpose.

Quote:
...never seen what it looks like at other end of radar, i can probably test that though next time we are out LT....I'll get my old man onto the case on his old work boats.
Seems a reasonable equivalence of what the trawler might see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It’s “easy” to see something on radar if you can visually see the corresponding thing to match it to and adjust the settings to remove the clutter. Working blind it’s not quite so easy to tune the radar and make sure you spot the weak returns, and mentally recognise them as boats.
Yes - so you need your old man to go out on a cr@ppy day with enough weather clutter to be realistic and effectively blind fold himself to where you guys are and then find you and determine (a) you are a moving target (b) your course and likelihood of collision. While also trying to make sure he keeps a straight course and avoids any other big shipping etc.

Perhaps a suitable test is to take the two of you out but only tell him one of you is going out and see if he works out there is a second boat!
Old 19 August 2018, 09:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
He was displaying neither the nose to nose cones nor the single upright cone for a 150+ mtr extended trawl (rule26)
Wow! That must be about the only fishing boat that doesn't have them permanently on display!

However, as it was restricted vis - he'd have has nav lights on. What did they say?
Old 19 August 2018, 11:39   #43

Quote:
MAIB commisioned report on various reflectors.................

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ors_report.pdf
Geez their Christmas party must be fun.

They should adopt the chewin the fat method of picking radar reflectors, save pages of reporting-

https://youtu.be/Z_UGD7AazMI
Old 19 August 2018, 12:45   #44

Quote:
Geez their Christmas party must be fun.

They should adopt the chewin the fat method of picking radar reflectors, save pages of reporting-
If they do that - they would risk complaints from the w**k ones though...

This way... dull as it may be... who is going to argue...
Old 19 August 2018, 13:02   #45

Geez, have a day off
Old 19 August 2018, 13:59   #46

Whats your point?
Old 19 August 2018, 21:20   #47

If it needs explaining you won't get it anyway so best carry on.
Old 20 August 2018, 07:50   #48

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 HPDI
Quote:
He wasn't trawling.... he was doing around twelve knots and dragging a couple of hundred meters of rope and something hanging from a buoy behind that. He was displaying neither the nose to nose cones nor the single upright cone for a 150+ mtr extended trawl (rule26)

We were going slow enough to avoid him...and we did.

Had we been stationary he WOULD have ran straight into us. It was 100% the action we took that prevented that.
It would be an interesting situation for anyone crossing behind him. A potential fouled prop & getting dragged backwards by an unknown vessel would raise the heart rate a bit.
Old 20 August 2018, 09:59   #49

No that would be far from ideal which is why we have invested in AIS for now. Radar would be better ofcourse but not sure of running it on a small rib and it being probably at head height 3m away, maybe look into it at a later date.
Old 20 August 2018, 11:39   #50
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
No that would be far from ideal which is why we have invested in AIS for now. Radar would be better ofcourse but not sure of running it on a small rib and it being probably at head height 3m away, maybe look into it at a later date.

Plenty of people have successfully done so, jwalker and Willk being top examples - clearly no major damage has been done...
Old 20 August 2018, 11:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
clearly no major damage has been done...
that is all the proof I need to never do it then
Old 20 August 2018, 15:07   #52

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
that is all the proof I need to never do it then

The new generation doesn't fry your brain & is nearly idiot proof, you'll be fine[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 15:43   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
is nearly idiot proof
My condolences you can't use it
Old 20 August 2018, 15:47   #54

RIBase
Quote:
My condolences you can't use it

Aye! That's the problem with claiming summat's "idiot proof", someone always comes along & proves you wrong.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:02   #55

Well I'm certainly a radar idiot, I know feek all about them. AIS is plenty for the moment and reasonably cost effective. If you have a suitable plotter you can get a transponder for about 230 quid or a receiver for about 80 quid plus 50 quid for an AIS antenna give or take.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:29   #56

RIBase
Quote:
Well I'm certainly a radar idiot, I know feek all about them. AIS is plenty for the moment and reasonably cost effective. If you have a suitable plotter you can get a transponder for about 230 quid or a receiver for about 80 quid plus 50 quid for an AIS antenna give or take.

I've had both radar & AIS, of the 2 I find AIS more use in day to day boating. I used the Radar 2 or 3 times in anger when I had it, at the time I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to trust what I was seeing. So we defaulted to the softly softly approach.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:59   #57

For the cost you probably can't go wrong with AIS, it is whim purchase money for a receiver at least if you have a plotter (infact the boat beacon app is great for the money at 3 quid for live updates If you always have 2g plus on your mobile Or connect the AIS to your phone). Radar money is a bit more of a talking to the wife after spending a couple of quid on suspension seats last year.
Old 20 August 2018, 17:31   #58

RIBase
Quote:

I've had both radar & AIS, of the 2 I find AIS more use in day to day boating. I used the Radar 2 or 3 times in anger when I had it, at the time I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to trust what I was seeing. So we defaulted to the softly softly approach.
Old 20 August 2018, 17:52   #59

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Yeh.

I've went down the AIS transponder route now. I got to thinking about the X-Band radar transponder and agree that you're relying on someone else to take action. (Although they might think you're a ferry from the strength of the echo.) but it's not going to give any "piece of mind" in fact it could have you fretting about a ferry that's 5 miles away and getting further.

I've already got one of the NASA AIS receiver/displays but it only does "north up" and the display is Cr@p, cluttered and very difficult to read so hoping the Matsutec will be better.
Old 20 August 2018, 18:50   #60

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
I have 3 boats fitted with both radar and ais. If I had to choose one or the other I would fit ais. Radar gets used about 6 times a year in anger. Ais we use everyday to check progress and eta’s. The coastguard has asked me 3 times this year if I could have a look at things which has saved them sending out the rnli. Just waiting to see the first stolen boat to be recovered by ais, bet it happens soon!