Old 16 November 2005, 18:37   #1

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Wiring up a fuel flow meter

Ok I have just ordered a Navman 2100 Fuel Flow Meter (For less than £70) which is fantastic value as they are at least £150 everywhere else.

It says in the manual that it has no on / off switch of its own so it needs to be powered from a supply that is switched with the ignition.

Now the wiring in my brand new boat is very neat indeed so I want to minimise how much of it I have to pull out from its ultra neat cable ties and clips. I also dont seem to have been given any manual containing a circuit diagram with my suzuki control box.

So my question is this.

What, in a boat, is typically switched along with the ignition that I can steal a power suply from?

I have a distribution/fuse box with battery isolator key but that all seems to be live regardless of ignition state Therefore all my electronics (Chartplotter, Nav Lights, Bilge Pump, Radio) will turn on even if the ignition is not running.

The Rev Counter, Trim Guage and Fuel Guage seem to be the only things that come on with the ignition so I guess I will have to take power from one of those somehow.

Has anybody else wired up one of these fuel flow meters or similar - where did you get power from?
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2005, 22:30   #2

Town: Brisbane
Boat name: Rogue
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 90 ELPTO
We've done a heap of those units down here, and the easiest way is to pick up ignition power and earth from the back of the instrument panel. The hourmeter is easiest if you have one fitted - it will just be marked + and - and obviously is ignition live. Failing that, you can pinch power from the back of the tacho, which should be marked (I for 12v ign +, G for 12v - and S for the sender or pulse wire). If your colour codes are the same as they are here in Oz, the +ve wire is purple, the -ve wire is black and the pulse wire will be grey. Connect the two core from the 2100 to the terminals marked I (red from the 2100) and G (black from the 2100) and you're away. I fuse the suply to the instrument as a precaution, but Navman tell me that's not strictly necessary. Hope that helps.

Cheers - Chris.
Old 16 November 2005, 22:42   #3

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Excelent - thanks
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2005, 23:45   #4

Town: Brisbane
Boat name: Rogue
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 90 ELPTO
Cheers mate.
Old 20 November 2005, 18:03   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Yep I've fitted one. All you need to do is connect into one of the spare grey wires. They are a few of these spare on my installation inside the console. They are ignition switched, and you can even buy the proper push on connectors to crimp onto your fuel power lead and connect onto these spare grey connectors.

Keith
Old 21 November 2005, 12:01   #6

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Hi Roy-- if and I believe its very similar goto FLOSCANS site and they give a good wiring diagram for their flow meters.

http://www.floscan.com/html/gas_installation.asp

jonathan