Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 February 2008, 10:52   #1
Member
 
Andy Moore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,639
Will It Charge It?

Will a solar charger charge up a flat, or flattish, battery? Or will they only top up a fully charged battery?
__________________

__________________
RIBnet: now available on Facebook!
Andy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 11:24   #2
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
Will a solar charger charge up a flat, or flattish, battery? Or will they only top up a fully charged battery?
No it won't unless the solar panel is as big as your house
__________________

__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 11:35   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
A reasonably sized one will charge a battery. I've got one on my boat roof and another on my caravan roof. They both feed through a 3 stage regulator (al40 will be pleased with me.) and therefore make a good charging system.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2008, 04:27   #4
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
A reasonably sized one will charge a battery. I've got one on my boat roof and another on my caravan roof. They both feed through a 3 stage regulator (al40 will be pleased with me.) and therefore make a good charging system.
Caravan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2008, 04:59   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962


I did think twice before mentioning it.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2008, 12:04   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
It will charge, but it may take a (really long) while.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2008, 18:58   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
A customer of mine has just installed approx 5 Im square panels on his barn roof conected to the grid and his house . inside there is a box showing the power they are putting out , i was amazed on a bright dry day last week the meter was showing around 2kw most of the day .

he tells me they are not ordinary solar cells but Photovotaics (not sure thats how its spelled but that how it sounds )
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2008, 21:29   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Did he say how much it cost?

Remember 2kw is about 20p an hour.

Typically a 2kw installation will cost about 10,000. Even assuming you get 2kw for 8hrs a day and 200 days a year(no chance in UK) that only equals 320 a year - that means it will take 31 years just to break even. that is not counting the fact that 10,000 stuck in a high interest bank account will be worth quite a lot in 30 yrs time!!!

Our local Tesco has a 40kw array that cost 2 million. On a typical overcast day it can read as low as 120W..........

They are actually photovoltaics
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2008, 11:29   #9
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
he tells me they are not ordinary solar cells but Photovotaics (not sure thats how its spelled but that how it sounds )
Photo = light
Voltaic = electricity

Not sure why that would be different than other solar cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell


jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2008, 15:49   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Did he say how much it cost?

Remember 2kw is about 20p an hour.

Typically a 2kw installation will cost about 10,000. Even assuming you get 2kw for 8hrs a day and 200 days a year(no chance in UK) that only equals 320 a year - that means it will take 31 years just to break even. that is not counting the fact that 10,000 stuck in a high interest bank account will be worth quite a lot in 30 yrs time!!!

Our local Tesco has a 40kw array that cost 2 million. On a typical overcast day it can read as low as 120W..........

They are actually photovoltaics

He just said it cost a lot , i could ask him . He is aware that it will take years to break even but the "green issues" are his pet subject.

They were drilling deep bore holes the last time I was there for use with a heat pump to run underfloor heating . the solar cells are going to produce the power for the heat pump and when its not in use he sells the elcrtric back to the grid .
i just wish they would get it sorted and the floor layed so that i can finish the kitchen i have made for him , but no one can work out the pipe diameters and pump size required .It seems the teknology is too new for anyone to really commit to proper specifications .

Another customer has a place by the river with ponds etc and that has a water wheel producing over 6kw and a heat pump running from copper coils in the river that runs 21 huge old iron radiators, its a really huge old place and warm as toast
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.