Old 11 October 2011, 06:54   #11
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
We use handheld to Forth Coastguard all the time from Elie bay, it's the shadow of May Isle might shield you...I had mobile phone reception from Bell Rock!

As a local watch officer told us carry both a mobile phone & VHF.

s.
Old 11 October 2011, 07:41   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
SH for me everytime. But don't take my word for it have a good long look at the way the Battery contacts are made on the Icom and then the SH and you decide which one is gonna fail first.

Also definitely get a fixed ste if you can,

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 08:12   #13

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
I've got an icom with speaker mike attached to my life jacket. When you're out blasting about the speaker mike is right next to my ear and when you grab hold of the mike to answer your hand stops all the wind noise

sent from a remote device
Old 11 October 2011, 09:52   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280
The one thing about a dead boat battery is that assuming your alternator hasn't packed up, unless the battery has actually exploded the chances are the engine will provide sufficient juice to keep the VHF / GPS alive....
Errr, that's assuming that you can start the engine with a flat battery...,.....,,

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 16:08   #15

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Errr, that's assuming that you can start the engine with a flat battery...,.....,,
That was what i was thinking.

I haven't studied the contacts on the Standard H and the Icom's but wondering how likely they are to fail if you never remove the cell?

There are probably a couple of other considerations about Handheld vs Fixed that I didn't mention.

If you go in the oggin with a hh attached to you can whoever is left on the boat summon help if you are unable to? On the other hand if you go out single handed then having a fixed set on the boat and you are swimming after your boat but unable to get to it your gonna want hh. Same thoughts if the guys you go out with wouldn't know how / be able to be show how to call for help (I know press the red button - 5 seconds).

Ultimately the ideal is both a fixed on the boat and a hh in your pocket but you have to start somewhere

SPR comments about the land shadow of the Isle of May. As I understand it May is about 10km south(ish) of Fifeness. If we assume the mast is 60m high from sea level (thats probably an under estimate as the ground is nearly 25m above MHWS and the mast is tall) May is 45m tall at its highest. In theory that would produce a huge shadow. BUT its not that big and some of the signal will deflect round the island.

I'm assuming there is a light on the mast for planes. Is the light obscured by the island from the Southern Shore?
Old 11 October 2011, 16:40   #16

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Length: 7m +
MMSI: 235085136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I have only good things to report on my HX751 - superb spec, price, build, performance.
+1 for the S-H

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes...Make sure it's worth watching!
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 17:06   #17
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
if you at altastones in the may isle it's all about angles! but somebody will hear you...of course this will affect both hh and fixed radios ..

I only know the fife coast ... I prefer the sun on my face when looking out to sea!
Old 12 October 2011, 02:18   #18

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
If you have two handheld radios at 1m height and clear sight then their horizon is both 3miles away so *theoretically* they could transmit 6miles. Stand up to get 2m of height and you might get 8miles (if both are stood up). Sitting down (50cm height) and it drops to 4m.
at the risk of opening a can of whoopass, i would have to disagree with this staement as a radio can only recieve a signal that reaches it, and not "draw it in". so if the signal travells 3miles to the horizon then thats all it will do, it will not suddenly double itself to reach someone another 3miles over the horizon.

aerial height is the key, that is why you can speak to the coastguard out to a much greater range than perhaps your mate only a few miles away.
one problem i got told about with height was that blackpool rnli used to have problems talking to liverpool coastguard as the cg aerial was on blackpool tower, which meant that the radio signal went straight over the top of the station below and could not be heard!

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 02:29   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
[QUOTE=ShinyShoe;424973]That was what i was thinking.

I haven't studied the contacts on the Standard H and the Icom's but wondering how likely they are to fail if you never remove the cell?

how do you think I know! buy the Icom give it a few years and you will understand! I can't reall explain it without pictures but I genuinely belive the SH is far better built and more waterproff

There are probably a couple of other considerations about Handheld vs Fixed that I didn't mention.
If you go in the oggin with a hh attached to you can whoever is left on the boat summon help if you are unable to? On the other hand if you go out single handed then having a fixed set on the boat and you are swimming after your boat but unable to get to it your gonna want hh. Same thoughts if the guys you go out with wouldn't know how / be able to be show how to call for help (I know press the red button - 5 seconds).

Ultimately the ideal is both a fixed on the boat and a hh in your pocket but you have to start somewhere

Everybody on your boat should be able to operate the radio and summon help, I believe it is part of SOLAS 'law' to have instructions on sending an SOS, if you don't familiarise your crew with radio operation and then your not doing it right. good safety info is available from the RNLI inc a radio sticker. When you are in trouble (and I hope you never are!) you will be glad to have all teh bases covered.

VHF works on line of sight, make sure you are at the top of the wave when transmitting from your short antenna at 5 watts buy both if you are in trouble in remote conditions then you'll be very grateful for the extra 20 watts a fixed gives you. .

SPR comments about the land shadow of the Isle of May. As I understand it May is about 10km south(ish) of Fifeness. If we assume the mast is 60m high from sea level (thats probably an under estimate as the ground is nearly 25m above MHWS and the mast is tall) May is 45m tall at its highest. In theory that would produce a huge shadow. BUT its not that big and some of the signal will deflect round the island.

I used to love trig at school

by thwe way you can usually start an engine with a Pull cord even if the engine doesn't come with one , if you intend to go out with an iffy battery might be worth having a go try tying a string of Pork Saussages around the flywheel and giving it a pull
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 02:39   #20

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
I think the point about the horizon is that the HH signal travels in a straight line to the horizon and then continues on in a straight line to the other HH.

Imagine a see-saw with a HH on each end with the horizon in the middle where the see-saw tilts back and forth, the HHs are still in line of sight of each other. Of course if the tx HH doesn't have the power to reach the end of the see-saw no signal would be received.