Old 30 July 2007, 21:28   #41

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Is this the £1999.00 deal, if it had been around when we wanted one i would have jumped at it
Old 30 July 2007, 21:40   #42

Town: Andover
Boat name: Vampire
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Proof in the Pudding

Just got back from the Bladerun 500nm in 4 days, and Amsterdam - Ramsgate in one go on Sunday.

Arrived in Rotterdam at midnight friday in less than ideal sea conditions with 3 other vessels, having left Ramsgate at 2pm and via Blankenberg to refuel. The transit from the harbour enterance to the Veerhaven was 11nm. No speed limit on the river!!

I ran the E80 3D Platinum mapping with AIS overlay (Showing speed and projected track of vessels) and RADAR trimmed down to .5nm, Absolutely perfect situational awarenes. Even got a bowl of soup from the Dutch pilot vessel....Fab.

The Raymarine kit is worth every penny.
Old 30 July 2007, 23:25   #43

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzza View Post
I'm starting from scratch so not really in the same boat, but I am going for the Garmin 3010c & GMR18 radar.

I started of seeing a friends Garmin 4008 on his boat and wanting one. After looking at specs in detail I found the 3010c package deal which seems to good to turn down. Maybe I am wrong but the Garmin radar (4kw, 36nm) seems to outperform the Raymarine counterpart whilst the 3010c itself offers video input and much more, almost in fact the same as the Raymarine E series.

I intend to part with my money tomorrow afternoon so if anyone thinks I am making a bad decision please let me know asap. I can't honestly see what though.
The performance of RADAR is entirely down to the scanner. The size of the scanner and it's height above sea level are what counts. You are NOT going to get 36nm on a RIB!!!

The bigger the scanner the better. Weight is the key thing but the Raymarine 24" 4kw is only 1kg more than the 18" - that's not much!!!

I can't see you going wrong with Garmin - I like their stuff but they are much newer to radar than Raymarine.
Old 30 July 2007, 23:26   #44

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
And talking of RADAR I don't think I will bother - for the same price I may be able to get FLIR!!!
Old 01 August 2007, 19:32   #45

Town: southampton
Length: 5m +
well i went for the Garmin. I took your point on the weight, the garmin was lighter than Raymarine. As for size they both state 18" however the garmin looks neater. I even managed to install it myself! pos and neg power, then an internet type cable, simple as!!!!