Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 June 2007, 17:34   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
After getting caught in thick pea soup today, i have decided for the safety of my family to install a Radar set up. There were alot of idiots out there racing around at 30+knots.
I have a Raymarine c80 and wondered if i should just set a dome to this or weather to have a second dispaly( maybe a different make?) and dome. I think it would be a lot easier to have two displays?
What do you think???
Likewise, we were down to 20m viz. Had issues with a tanker which was underway albeit very slowly, we couldn't see his nav or deck lights at all. He let go with his fog horn and we nearly dumped our pants! We passed a lighthouse at less than 0.5m and couldn't see the light. We had to check and double check with Fal coastguard re. shipping at anchor in the bay and Carrick Roads to avoid running into any of it. Dropping our speed had run us late into the night. It was the worst viz I'd ever experienced. Yep, Radar for me also.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 19:23   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Likewise, we were down to 20m viz. Had issues with a tanker which was underway albeit very slowly, we couldn't see his nav or deck lights at all. He let go with his fog horn and we nearly dumped our pants! We passed a lighthouse at less than 0.5m and couldn't see the light. We had to check and double check with Fal coastguard re. shipping at anchor in the bay and Carrick Roads to avoid running into any of it. Dropping our speed had run us late into the night. It was the worst viz I'd ever experienced. Yep, Radar for me also.
It can be very scary the way thing suddenly loom out of the fog at you. One trick is to go into shallow water - no chance of meeting a big ship then. Chart plotters have made things much easier though.

Scariest place has to be Worms Head - there is a blow hole that makes an awful sighing moaing sort of noise - very scary indeed but at least it must be one of the few headlands with it's own inbuilt foghorn!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 05:28   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I didnt need a dedicated radar but i wanted a seperate display for gps and for radar ( i think)
Also the Garmin has a Video in which might be fun..
The Raymarine dome is about 800.. i think, so it would be more viable
Looks like it makes sense to go for the Raymarine radome and see how you get on. If you want another display at a later date you can just get another Raymarine display.

IIRC the latest Raymarine E series kit can accept a video input.
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 07:47   #14
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
One of the shops over here is doing a deal on a GArmain 3010 and a Garmin 18 dome for 1750.00..It seems quite well priced what do you think?
So have you got one yet ?
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 09:14   #15
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
So have you got one yet ?
Nope..
Still looking around
Advice from a furuno dealer was very good but confused me a bit and it meant spending over 3000
So what i need is to see one in action on a rib!! (hint hint)
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 09:45   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Tony, stick with Raymarine. Simply because your sytem will be much more versatile having units which can fully communicate with each other. Searider's suggestion of buying a Raymarine raydome and seeing how you get on is a good one because you will be able to display split screen chart and radar. It'll be a bit small but you may find it satisfactory. It's only a matter of connecting a cable to the back of your present unit so it can easily be moved to another display if required in the future.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 12:19   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Tony, stick with Raymarine. Simply because your sytem will be much more versatile having units which can fully communicate with each other. Searider's suggestion of buying a Raymarine raydome and seeing how you get on is a good one because you will be able to display split screen chart and radar. It'll be a bit small but you may find it satisfactory. It's only a matter of connecting a cable to the back of your present unit so it can easily be moved to another display if required in the future.

Err that's what I though I said when you argued against it???

Tony remember to get the bigger dome if you think it will fit - the weight isn't much different but the resolution will be.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 14:04   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Err that's what I though I said when you argued against it???
Err, no. You said use one display so that radar overlay can be used. I said use one display to see how he gets on. I still think two displays is the way to go. Versatile.

For me, the problem with radar overlay is that both the chart and the radar need to be at the same zoom setting so, while occasionally useful, I not convinced that it's a good reason to stick with just one display. I frequently adjust my chart zoom but normally work on a 2 mile radar screen and change it only occasionally.

I would expect the radar info to be able to be passed between two Raymarine units, is this not the case?
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 14:18   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Err, no. You said use one display so that radar overlay can be used. I said use one display to see how he gets on. I still think two displays is the way to go. Versatile.

For me, the problem with radar overlay is that both the chart and the radar need to be at the same zoom setting so, while occasionally useful, I not convinced that it's a good reason to stick with just one display. I frequently adjust my chart zoom but normally work on a 2 mile radar screen and change it only occasionally.

I would expect the radar info to be able to be passed between two Raymarine units, is this not the case?
Must be - I am sure you can have dual stations.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 14:20   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
so if you have no radar just a Garmin 178c, so starting from scratch what would you spec?
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.